Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I thought it was a pretty strong episode that grew on me as it progressed. And yes, Kalinda will likely become a strong focal point for the remainder of the season. I've been watching older episodes recently and am surmising that the main difference between this season and previous ones is the lack of procedural, courtroom antics in favor of the two major story arcs. Naturally, some of the courtroom stuff is still present, but it doesn't seem to be in use as much as a jumping board for broader plot elements. However, I'm thankful for the change because it means after so many years the writers are still working hard to keep the show fresh. I do also think that because the current season is built so much around one or two central storylines that are slowly playing out, it won't have the same ability to hold up to repeat viewings (since we'll already know what's coming). Procedural shows are often like certain novels featuring one character over and over again. You pick one up, read it, and forget what happened in which book by the time you've read thirty of them. In TV, that often works in favor of the show because by forgetting the content of the episode you can watch it a few times. I think this season will not benefit from the same ability to engage the viewer in repeats because it will be too easy to remember what happened next in the overall story arc. Nevertheless, I'm definitely wondering where they will go next, and don't find the actions of certain characters to be so "out of character" so as to distract me from enjoying myself. This show obviously prides itself on not adhering to a strict, boring formula, which is often what causes most other shows of its kind to lose momentum after five seasons.

Deesky, aoxomoxoa and Atmospheric like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think you're onto something, I had the same thought, that the wronged cop is not going to take this lying down (great actor, last seen by me in the Sopranos.)

3. Lonson

Good points, though I find that I like rewatching the long story arcs on shows like The Good Wife, Scandal, The Americans, etc. I always find nuances and little details the second and third time through (yes, I like to watch TV on Blu-ray--preferrably--or DVD).

Good job identifying the main differences between this season and others, I hadn't quite realized how far they had stepped away from "court case of the week" plotting.

bopdd likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Really? I loved that scene because it was a perfect release of positive emotion after so much recent tension both politically and legally. And, it was in an empty car-park. I thought it was in no way over the top (besides I love that husky little giggle of Julianna's :)).

I have mixed feelings about the character. I quite liked her when she was the indispensable super-sleuth, but I hated the lesbian/bi-sexual schenanigans with various hot babes, etc, which seemed to be overtaking her entire role in the show. It's cheap, salacious and unnecessary in a high quality show such as this one.

It would be great to see Kalinda kill Bishop on her exit from the show. Bishop's tentacles have become way too enmeshed into the law firm and is an ever growing threat to everyone there. I'd hate to see him always threating everyone and pulling their strings. Best to kill two birds with one stone and move on.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'll miss the boots...:love:

6. Lonson

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

A fan since Day 1, but the pace is too frenetic, drama becoming too contrived, obvious and artificial., tempted to say ridiculous and cartoon-like.

On the plus-side - Kalinda.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Really good episode "The Debate". Usually I'm not a fan of when (recent) real life events are incorporated into a fictional TV series, especially when real names are used (except for special cases like The Newsroom which is based around real-world events), but it didn't detract from this episode.

Some mild spoilers ahoy...

I really liked the center piece of the episode, which was the debate. Most so called political debates are far from true debates and the show really poked fun at the artificiality of it all by going to town with the silly rules, exceptions, the time limits, etc. And then it turned things around by setting up an kitchen debate which really got to the heart of things, while the two protagonists showed mutual respect for each other. Nicely done.

And it looks like that in the law firm, Alicia's about to kick some butt! No annoying, overloud music this time, so yay.

bopdd likes this.
  9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I think it's amazing that Cary has now aligned himself with Diane Lockhart and is snubbing Alicia...

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I don't. I've been waiting for that, actually. Alicia basically abandoned her firm to run for office, and they hadn't really called her on it till then. I thought it was totally unrealistic that this wasn't addressed in the show - now it has been, and it was a long time coming, IMO.

Lonson likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And David is back. So, basically, the same firm is back in the same physical offices, minus Will (RIP) and Michael J Fox (who, will now go back to being a competitor who shows up on occasion).

12. Lonson

I didn't buy the kitchen debate, seemed very contrived to me, but it was a good boost to the story. Okay episode but a bit sedate. After the big race to save Cary an episode like this seems slow!

ky658 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I didn't think it was slow as I found lots of interesting detail throughout, like the kitchen debate, but also the verbal sparring and shifting alliances. Alicia's political career direction should provide plenty of fodder for future episodes and narrative direction.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some spoilers...

Terrific new episode, masterfully executed. It largely took place in Alicia's head as she prepared for a major interview and where all the imagined supporting cast were used to offer advice, explore different answer strategies, tear them down and then find acceptable alternatives, while still managing to advance the plot in the real world as her thought process was interrupted.

I felt her daughter's crisis of faith plot line was a little shoehorned in and could have been left out. Nevertheless, great episode and excellent use of music. I loved one track in particular and had to track it down - La Luna by Lucy Schwartz, so hypnotic.

Rufus McDufus and bopdd like this.
  15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Agreed - and thanks for tracking down the music info.

16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I didn't care at all for last Sunday's "in her head" episode. I couldn't even bear to watch the entire hour, and it's one of my favorite show.

marcb likes this.
  17. Lonson

It was a little too much imo, I would have preferred less than the whole show this way. Some of her "imaginings" took me out of the mood/place. But it was okay, and looks as if it's going to be increasing in intensity in the next episodes.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agreed. I found it to be a not very good (and most importantly, boring) attempt at being "artsy". It's almost as if they're trying to distract us from how dull the plotlines have become this season.

IMO, this season pales in comparison to the others. As I said earlier in the thread, the whole "campaign" plotline is just so tedious and has ended up minimizing some of the more interesting characters and given too much screen time to less interesting characters.

Atmospheric likes this.
  19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Exactly. Trying to be too clever for their own good. Also, for me, Alicia's character, although central, is among the least interesting. So a whole episode inside her head was a recipe for a snooze fest.

20. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I agree, there's enough of what is going on inside Alicia's head in a regular episode and when that dopey music started playing in the beginning, it should've been my cue to head out the door for some Haggen-Dazs!

21. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I'm hoping at some point she's going to back out of the campaign. After last Sundays "In her head" episode, I hope it comes soon...

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

There comes a point when all popular shows reach such a level of creativity that they can basically say f-it, we're doing this and we don't care what people think-if you want to go along for the ride, come with us. If you don't want to go, we know you'll be back next week because you're hooked. The producers of TGW clearly like pushing the envelope. This episode made me want to throw the remote at the screen, but I'll be back next week like a crack addict.

Atmospheric likes this.
  23. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Agree with many of the comments above including the on going election sub plot which has taken over so much show time. But would like to give kudos for the writing/editing of this episode to try and pull all these elements inside Alicia's head together. So many scenes integrating all the characters.

-Steve D.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I found this week's episode a bit tedious too, but I did like the music choices. The Schubert piano piece that was all over BARRY LYNDON, I thought, set the mood properly, but the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Most of us are not heaping praise on this one - but watch: it'll win an Emmy!

Harry

25. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The final season of The Mentalist featured just about the best episodes of the whole run - they're available now - maybe they should bring them in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.