Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

My wife didn't dig this episode either. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it immensely.

bopdd and Deesky like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Same here WRT enjoyment. I was impressed with the way they brought so many elements together in an entertaining way while exploring the absurdist level of media management that's required to play politics. I love all that strategising.

bopdd likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Didn't do much for me.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I didn't love last week's episode (inside Alicia's head). I think it sacrificed momentum for being too clever.

As for the "appearance" of "Will": Did that even look like Will? Was that really even Will's voice?

5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I really like the David Hyde Pearce arc. Very smartly written and well acted.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I loved the head episode because it actually was clever.

Didn't look like Will for a second. If you're going to show a 'lookalike' in silhouette and in profile, at least get someone with the same characteristic proboscis!

As for the latest episode, this one I didn't care for at all. The whole additive printing case was stunt filler which took momentum out of the political campaign plot line, which is way more interesting.

7. RoyalScam

I'm sure the voice was real...they just took his "lines" from actual Will dialogue in previous episodes. The silhouette, however, was a joke.

And I don't see how all of you "Alicia's head" episode detractors could have thought this week's episode was any better.

8. Atmospheric

Well, I did think it was better. Sue me.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very well. You'll be hearing soon from Lockhart/Gardner & Canning! :)

RoyalScam likes this.
  10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

It wasn't much better, I'm getting bored with show because it really isn't going anywhere this season, just around in circles, IMO...

Lonson likes this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah, they've obviously got it timed out so that just as the election is declaring a winner, the season will end. That'll give the showrunners the whole summer to figure out where to go with next season.

Harry

12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Funnily enough the election storyline leaves me cold. I much prefer the legal and intra-company stuff.

Lonson likes this.
  13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Me too. I don't like the story or the people involved (except David Hyde Pierce). The whole plotline has divided the cast into two, and her lawyer-associates are being handled like second fiddles.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Billy Preston would have been proud.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pretty poor episode ("Red Meat"). The election night narrative was pretty dull as was every other aspect of the episode. Also, I'm really starting to hate Dianne's story and all the Yosemite Sam types she's mixing with now, while apparently enjoying it. It's a real turnoff - bleh!

16. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Yup, looking forward to the end of this season to see what happens with Kalinda.

17. RoyalScam

With the outcome of the election, I was feeling shark jump...but I'll stick it out through the end of the season.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Really liked the new episode.

...Spoilers...

Alicia gets an education in the art of saying 'no' in politicalese - absence of yes times time equals no, that's the law! :) Loved the scene when Lou Grant comes back and Alicia grabs a gift basket and places it in front of her ostensibly as an offer to 'Lou', when in fact she was using it as shield to prevent from being groped by him!

Also kudos for tackling the issue of predatory troll lawsuits by the copyright cartels to shore up the bottom line of crappy, failed movies by extorting file sharers.

The email thing provided some humor to balance things out.

All options are open to me and I plan to decide in 48 hrs. That may well be fine as a delaying tactic, but what happens after 48 hrs? The merde is still gonna hit fan! She should stick to her guns.

bopdd likes this.
  19. RoyalScam

Thoughts - INCLUDING SPOILERS...

Throughout the whole "Alicia running for SA" plot-line, I kept thinking how odd it was that her firm pretty much accepted the fact that she was MIA on the campaign trail. There were little hints of discord here and there, but relatively minor. Then, last night, with the negotiations for her exit package, all that bad blood seemed to finally surface. Glad to see that, but still surprised they'd try to screw her out of a firm she founded. Her name is (first) on the wall, for crying out loud.

Also, the sudden re-appearance of Michael Boatman's character made me think, what happened to Taye Diggs? Did he disappear into "Robin-land", or was there an exit I can't recall (likely due to long mid-season breaks and weekly late starts)?

20. Atmospheric

I liked the episode. I thought that email hacking arc was brilliant.

For me, TGW is the third or fourth best drama series on TV this season. Person Of Interest and Blacklist are tied for first (depending on the week), Elementary and The Good Wife come in right behind them. For me, there's nothing better than sharp crisp writing and actors that can at least not muck it up. Oh, Madame Secretary is coming on strong. The last couple of episodes have been really strong. I also like the nuanced depiction of people of faith. That's really refreshing.

Now if only the other wretched procedural dramas on TV (anything with CSI, NCIS, or Scorpion in the title) could just raise their writing game up to that standard, we might have something.

21. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Only (5) more episodes to go for this season ... it appears that something definitive is going to happen in episode #6-20 scheduled for 26/Apr/15, the tile of the episode "The End", could be the end of Kalinda, or the end of anything else, for that matter, only time will tell...

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't know. . . I wasn't a fan of the political storyline and admit I don't like the idea of Alicia as SA. And the humor is just a bit too. . . cutesy. The whole show has become more cutesy than ever this season. I miss Will.

But I'm still watching.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I like the political direction the show is taking, although politics has always a big part of the show, from the pilot episode, because the dueling law firm musical chairs (mostly what the show has been about) has played itself out.

With the new direction, it looks like Alicia isn't going fold to lobby groups, criminals or moneyed campaign contributors (at least not in the next 48 hrs :)) or even to her old law firm. All this should generate plenty new fodder for conflict and scheming, especially in cases involving her ex-law firm coworkers that 'are trying to screw her over her exit settlement.

24. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I'm consistently entertained by and engaged in this show, which is all I really ask for in television (and rarely find). I do think this season isn't as great as some of the others and that Will Gardner's death has perhaps thrown off some of the pacing or the emotional investment in certain characters, but on the other hand I'm almost thankful for the shift in style because almost any other show would've grown stagnant by now. It's one of the few shows on TV where the effort from the writers to remain unpredictable and crafty is present even in the weakest episodes.

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think for me the problem with the season is that there's no longer any emotional contact for me with any of the characters. Alicia has become less interesting without Will and I haven't for a second felt any of her other attractions this season or emotional moments. Kalinda has become a shadow of the character she was before. The kids have been pushed off to the side for the most part. Peter has become "the Governor," more a symbol and antagonist than a character. Eli has been painted into a pontificating corner. The campaign runners are just not interesting except for Gould's daughter who is a joke. Even Bishop is a power-washed villain full of smiles and innuendo. There was emotion when Cary was facing jail, but they drained all that with his case's dismissal. It's all too cutesy and shallow in th character department for me, and as I said the political nature of the storylines are not that interesting to me.

It occurred to me during the election episode that I didn't care if Alicia won or not. That certainly couldn't have been their intent. I'll ride out the season and hope that next season is a bit better. It's still entertaining, it's still better than many shows, but I'm not captivated as I used to be.

marcb, jpelg and Rufus McDufus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.