Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Okay, I obviously skimmed through that part. I'm still watching the show, just with less enthusiasm.

bopdd likes this.
  2. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I'm actually watching some season one episodes and it's kind of amazing how far the show has come. I do think there is a certain awkwardness to the current season that could arguably construed as a series of misfires from the writers on the heels of losing a major character. On the other hand, once the episodes start I'm fully vested. Furthermore, I appreciate the fact that the show is clearly aspiring to keep the plot lines running forward as opposed to resorting to generic brand procedurals. Ironically, I also think the lack of procedural elements has been one of the reasons this newest season is sort of dragging. Nevertheless, my point was simply that good TV is good TV and comparatively speaking I still consider this show to be top-notch television.

One additional note about the first season: Kalinda and Cary are pretty different in the first few episodes. They both smile a lot more for one. Kalinda just in general seems less serious, less sexual, and a little more humorous. Cary is blatantly wet behind the ears and demonstrates less of the coyness or rigidness that he would show later on. Also, the tone of the show is a little more endearing, a little more generic CBS drama.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Alicia's election will fall through somehow (because of her e-mails?) I can't really see how the show could work if she is so separated from the other characters. When she split off from Lockhart Gardner before, she was with Cary, and they were a new law firm facing off all the time against their old firm (as it seems there are only two law firms in Chicago). In this new situation she would be far more isolated.

4. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

A lot of people seem to think this will be what happens, and I'm inclined to agree, not because I think it wouldn't be interesting but because I think the creators would suffer too much backlash based on the backlash they're enduring already. Personally, I'd be curious to see what would happen with Alicia on the opposite side of the fence from every other character, since it's one dynamic the show hasn't employed yet.

5. Lonson

Archie Panjabi is scheduled to star in a drama of her own, pilot to air this fall on CBS.

Atmospheric and ky658 like this.
  6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The summary for the upcoming episode hints at the email leak causing issues, and Kalinda's efforts to help Carey being re-examined.

7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Good to hear...I think she's taken her character as far as it could go in the show.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It doesn't sound like too much of a stretch:

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

What happened to the blonde that also did her job?

10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The other question is what happened to her ex husband that mysteriously disappeared? The storyline led the viewer to believe that either she killed him or had him killed...hmmmm....

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The thing is, this could be a comedy. Yes, this description makes it sound like it is Kalinda all over again.

12. Lonson

She was last seen as Cary was struggling to be released from jail, and has not been seen since. After that Diane came into the firm and Kalinda was on board. . . one assumes off camera Robin Burdine (Jess Wexler) was let go. . . but it's probably not best to make assumptions.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Finally, a decent episode last night (IMO), why? because it wasn't just about Alicia. This is when the show is good, when they have numerous storylines going on all at once and not just focusing on one character.

Atmospheric and bababooey like this.
  14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Maybe Robin and Clarke Hayden left to start their own firm:p

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, good episode, even though I cringed a little at the start as they were obviously exploiting current events with the so-called religious 'freedom' fiasco in some states. But, the show handled the story in a creative way, so kudos. Also liked the mini insight into political ad editing and how easy it is to spin an ad to tell any story you want to. The more people know about the tactics involved, the better.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Much better episode last night (in spite of the continued lazy over reliance on IT/web sorcery). Mostly because it was more of the interesting characters (Diane, Eli, Peter, Kalinda) and less of the boring ones. I find the rich billionaire an intriguing character -- if only because the writers have given him intellectual and emotional layers (as they have also done with Diane's husband) rather than resorting to the tried and true Hollywood portrayal of a conservative as being just dumb, evil and/or out of touch. He could be an interesting recurring character, IMO.

I even kinda enjoyed Finn in this episode...

I wonder if Robyn will be back next season with Kalinda's departure?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Until someone mentioned it on this thread, I hadn't actually noticed that Kalinda and Alicia hadn't shared a scene in a couple of years...

Yeah, must be some really bad blood there (and I don't believe the producers' public comments that they're doing this for the sake of the story).

The whole thing with Will abruptly dying last year and the story that the actor wanted to pursue other options also seemed unlikely.

And the Kalinda replacement actress just disappearing...

Maybe Julianna Margulies is hell on wheels backstage?

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. Lonson

I'm beginning to think that part of the problem with the series may be Marguiles' acting skills. . . we're up against her limits at this point of the game and that may be mandating certain types of stories. And if she's dictating story lines by who she gets along with. . . oy. Wonder how many seasons we have left.

20. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Also glad to see Eli getting more screen time this season. He was on the back burner for a while, he usually adds more fuel to the story, IMO...

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Although his "daughter" is getting more screen time than he is, and she doesn't add much other than the occasional comic relief quip--and a little of that goes a long way.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't see it as sorcery in the least, but as an increasing reality in everyone's lives: Sony hacks, Snowden, Wikileaks, domestic and international spy databases (which are themselves hackable), etc. So, the email hacks aren't really a stretch; they happen frequienly in corporate life, it's just that they're mostly kept quiet to prevent embarrasement.

23. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The show has been losing me lately but last night was very good. The interplay between Christine Baranski and Oliver Platt was excellent.

Hate to see Kalinda squirm but seems like things are catching up with her, though I will be sad to see her go.

24. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Yeah, I know, I guess she thought this one would slip through the cracks as well. Her character this season has been far less interesting than it was previously...

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I meant sorcery as in it's something nefarious that only those well-versed in it can do it and even understand what is and it isn't realistically possible. It's not like breaking into an office and stealing files labeled "secret and confidential".

There's nothing wrong with it being used as a plot device per se. But it's been used a couple of times this season as a form of blackmail, once in providing the necessary evidence with getting Cary out of jail, and now again with potentially putting Kalinda and Diane into jail.

That's a little beyond reality; it's just lazy writing, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.