Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Just like the show - a soap opera.

2. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

If TMZ got the scoop (and reported) on every behind-the-scenes feud in Hollywood it would need its own channel like CNN.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Couldn't agree less.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

5. shokhead

Well there ya go. Wonder what was the problem?

6. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

You don't agree that there's a lot of "drama" that goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood that TMZ doesn't report on?

7. shokhead

Not much. That's their business and something that big in a hit tv series with those names. That's TMZ news. Small crap I'm sure unless they need filler.

8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

In my experience, TMZ is surprisingly inclined to report on stories that have substantiated sources or hard evidence (video footage, photos, etc). Unlike a publication such as Star Magazine or certain Internet gossip columns, which seem to report on anything they hear (or make up), TMZ frequently breaks legitimate (albeit consistently petty) stories as opposed to loose gossip that may or may not be true. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that TMZ catches wind of just about every thing that goes down in Hollywood, but only reports on a small percentage of it. Whether this is to maintain credibility or avoid lawsuits or something else I don't know.

Nevertheless, I am fairly confident there is TONS of drama that goes down in Hollywood that we don't hear about, maybe not to the point of two actors refusing to share scenes, but probably to the point of mediation. Whether that drama is going down between two actors, or between an actor and the director, or the director and the producer, or the producer and an investor, or two competing agents, or two studios, etc, etc, it's common enough that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that PR firms, law firms, and studios have departments or individuals who specialize in handling it. But at the end of the day this is a highly competitive, billion dollar industry jam-packed with sociopaths and narcissists who all have input toward a central "idea" and who's careers might end at any moment--hostility between certain parties seems only natural.

Take, for instance, the recent Sony leak, which exposed some very harsh words between two huge power players (Amy Pascal and Scott Rudin). Where was TMZ when that was happening? That's not to mention the peripheral drama implicated by the email exchanges, such as Scott Rudin's problems with Angelina Jolie. And where was TMZ to explain what really happened in that elevator between Jay-Z and Solange Knowles? All they had was the video, but no good explanation as to what prompted her attack or any stories beforehand pointing to a dispute. Whether they knew about it or not, TMZ didn't report on it until it was something they could more or less prove.

This recent story about "The Good Wife" might be an extreme case of two actresses not getting along, but I would imagine it's far, far, far from being the only case that the public doesn't know about.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  9. shokhead

Guess your an expert. I've never watched a TMZ show.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The reason that I liked this show initially was because it was a very good hybrid. It was part serialized dramatic show and part case-of-the-week courtroom drama...and it was good at both. It found just the right balance and was damn entertaining TV. But what I saw in season 6 mostly felt like a series who had lost the balance, whose serialized aspects had all but obliterated the structure that had appealed to me in the first place. I agree with most of the previous comments about long running characters being under utilized this season and I feel that overall this was the weakest season of the show. I actually didn't have a problem with Alicia running for SA, but man what a cheat that storyline ended up being, talk about filler. Anyway, I am willing to see how it goes next season, but my interest has declined sharply.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That was a pretty fun new episode. The reset button has been pressed, more or less, certainly as far as the law firm situation goes. I loved the sticky-note expert witness nerd-off, and the exposure of the conveyor-belt justice system meted out to those without means.

The episode also sets up an interesting wider dynamic involving Ely and the political angle regarding the presidential campaign which could provide some topical fodder going forward with parallels to the real-world election campaign. Good start.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

An okay start. Honestly when the old firm started showing up I was like "aren't they old hat now" and wondering if they can keep that part of the show viable. I like Eli's comeback and think it will stir some nice drama into the pot. I just wish Canning weren't back and in a way that promises a big presence. . . I'm just not into Fox appearing in this show, enough was enough.

marcb and ky658 like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'm kind of in your camp. It was an okay episode -- nothing special -- but it's hard to draw conclusions from one episode. Agree that Eli having a mission and getting a more prominent role is probably good (as long as the daughter gets minimal facetime). I'm assuming that the "Lockhart, Agos is old school" is to shake things up and do some different stuff -- both literally and figuratively.

And IMO the Michael J. Fox character is pretty one-dimensional and is okay in small doses (his primary purposes seem to be to make everyone else look not so bad and to throw a monkey wrench into things when a plotline appears to have run out of steam). But it does appears he could become a bigger presence and that probably isn't a good thing unless they go somewhere else with that character.

14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Meh. I'll still record it, which is saying something. A whole bunch of shows, old and new, had me jumping off their respective busses within the first 15 minutes of the debut episode. Minority Report and NCIS (original) were especially wretched.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This has been a horrible year for new shows, so I'm trying to hold onto old shows with all my might, but it hasn't been easy. Good Wife was one of the last of the old shows to begin their new season, and while I thought it was fine, this show has lost a lot of juice with all of the recent character departures. As I've said in the past the show benefits from any increased participation of Alan Cumming, and it looks like he's getting a major story line this year, thank God. Even with more Eli, and more Peter (another character that energizes whenever he's on), I think we're seeing the beginning of the end here. But I'm hanging in, and this is still one of the best written shows on the air right now.

16. shokhead

From the start, the political stuff was suppose to be a very small part but now it seems it's half the show. Don't like that.

Rufus McDufus, Atmospheric and Lonson like this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I actually liked Eli's daughter as she usually cut through the bulls**t and gave voice to things as they are. But nevertheless, I suspect she may not feature prominently this season because we've seen Alicia's daughter massively jumping in with her ninja home-office manager type skills, which to me signals that she'll be taking over from Eli's daughter. Guess we'll see.

The other possible character replacement (for Kalinda) is the new character Lucca Quinn, whom I quite liked. Funny thing, I just saw 'Kalinda' appear in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

18. shokhead

19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Just a tad off topic, but older women in this series look like crones. Juliana specifically. Don't get me wrong, I find 40-60 something women very attractive. But there's something with the video on this series that makes them look 10 years older, and not in an attractive way. I wonder if Vidiot has noticed the same thing. I bet he has, but given that he makes his $$$ in that industry, probably would decline to comment, except in the most oblique way possible.

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

It was kind of surreal on Sunday watching Archie Panjabi playing a vegan policy officer on Brooklyn 99 half an hour before The Good Wife started.

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

But Lucca is a lawyer, not an investigator. Unless by "replacement" you mean "attractive woman of color". Either way, I'm on board. And I just love the name "Cush Jumbo".

22. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

The only redeeming portion of the new season is the Eli story arc, everything else is just more of the same, Alicia continuing to be her vulnerable self and trying to find her "self", the old law firm looks really out of place now that both Will and Kalinda are no longer there, I don't know why Cary Agos is still there (IMO)...

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sure, but she's not exactly to top-tier lawyer (yet), given the kinds of cases she handles. Also, the character doesn't need to be identical in all respects to be a 'replacement'. Indeed, some variation is required, otherwise it would be looked on as a lazy change.

Absolutely amazing name. I wonder if she changed it or if it's her given name, and if so, it's etymology.

RoyalScam likes this.
  24. shokhead

Just noticed that Makenzie Vegs's sister is on Dancing with the stars.

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

They managed to keep this series fresh & creative for longer than most but it desperately needs to be put out of its misery now. Run of the mill dreck.

carlygtr56 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.