Tony Bennett and Diana Krall duet album due in September 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He is getting very, very near the "embarrassing" stage that we saw with Mr. S. I never want to to get to that point. I don't buy the "50% of a fading great artist better than 0 %" anymore.

2. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I understand your point of view but maybe it’s keeping him going!
    Mr S didn’t last long after he stopped performing.

peace and love✌Dave

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

But to go out just a shadow of your former self is extremely sad.

4. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Makes you wonder what keeps him going... a love of performance or his kids pushing for a bigger inheritance. Frank had his on and off nights but something told him it was over. Did he hear or watch a concert? Bad reviews? Who knows.

5. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I mean, I saw Tony performing last year and besides a couple of minor clams, he was exceptional. I haven't seen any of his televised performances for this tour.

I did however read a joint interview her did with Diana Krall for Billboard and Bennett's responses were sharper than usual. Not just reverting to the typical tales about Bob Hope (although that story makes an appearance later in the article) .

I've heard the album a couple of times through and my biggest gripe is that the song choices were too safe.

Highlights: My One and Only, Nice Work if You Can Get It, Do It Again.

I never did care for the opening verse to Love is Here to Stay and Bennett sounds really thin on Fascinating Rhythm and Who Cares? I mean, I love "Who Cares." It's quite underrated in the Gershwin cannon but Bennett's the guy who has recorded it in studio and live plentiful times over the years. I wonder what the bonus tracks sound like. I'll have to mosey on down to the Target in Harlem later this week to know more.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Tony's solo on the Target CD is a run-thru at best. Nothing special...nothing challenging.

Remember, at 92 he can begin to fail quickly. On the new album (recorded over a year ago) his voice has been "played with" and cleaned up...so that is no comparison to Tony today. And this daily performance schedule to promote the album has got to be wearing on him.

Last year during 2 nights at the Hollywood Bowl Tony was overall very good but each night the orchestra had to be guided quickly and assertively by then MD Billy Stritch. The signs were there that this Magic Carpet Ride isn't gonna last much longer.

I love Tony a great deal. However, I think he either needs to slow WAY down or just become a full time painter.

7. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I mean, that's why I get why he does static set lists and rarely works with a full orchestra. He's probably doing 100 dates a year, right? If he'd cut that in half and do more work in the studio, I think that'd be for the best. For the consumer at least. When he tours, he can pocket more cash that doesn't have to go to Sony.

I just want him to take more risks. That's what I loved about that Jerome Kern album (maybe in my top 5 Bennett albums list). Varied settings and experimentation with verses that deserve to be heard.

The best thing I can say about this album is that the Charlap trio is one of the great gems in American music and they can make anything work. I was tempted to broach the topic of Bennett with Charlap when I talked to him after a show at Birdland in May. I'm curious as to what it's like to do new arrangements for songs like Who Cares? or others that he's been singing for ages. Not that these arrangements are revelatory, but how much push is there to take chances and how much push is there to keep things safe?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Who knows how old that Kern album is? It has never been determined.

He can no longer sing with an orchestra. It was while singing a few tunes with the LA Philharmonic that he got in trouble both nights last year.

It is rather apparent that Tony is no longer in charge of his career. So who knows what is in store.

As far as learning new material/verses I don't know how comfortable his with that any longer. He did do "My One & Only" on this new release which isn't bad. But it's like the Stones changing their set list now. It ain't gonna happen.

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Overall, this is a two and a half star album if only because half of it really is a lot of fun (if not revelatory). The other half, the solos and the more popular tunes, seem a bit uninspired. I'll still take this over the Gaga album (although that solo Tony take on Sophisticated Lady always brings me to tears)

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm a fan of Bennett's. Not so much of Krall. Too much of her is her "sultry" persona. She has great chops, but she plays it very safe as a musician. I don't think she'd have the success she has without her and her sultry looks (in my opinion). All of her album covers use that look, too.

And this one with Bennett?? That's just weird and icky, if you ask me. Why can't we have a cover of two musicians just enjoying the fact that they're making music together. But Krall and her pursed lips fawning over Bennett? Eww.

11. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

32,491 copies per hitsdaily double. # 3 there.

Sorry.

paulmock, colormesinatra and Davidmk5 like this.
  12. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

The reported on-set of dementia probably didn't help Frank.

13. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

"Tony Bennett and Diana Krall: Love Is Here To Stay" on PBS Great Performances Thanksgiving weekend

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Limited “Small Business Saturday” edition of Tony Bennett & Diana Krall’s “Fascinating Rhythm” on vinyl single, backed with Tony’s (as Joe Bari) 1949 version. Available at local retailers starting November 24 while supplies last:

[​IMG]

colormesinatra and paulmock like this.
  16. Ronald Sarbo

Some of the Rainbow Room performance was used on the PBS special. The Special was available as a DVD per the Pledge breaks.

Tony looked tired. Diana Krall, while certainly being the better musician and possibly the better singer than Lady Gaga, is not the PERSONALITY Gaga is. Gaga energized Tony while Krall seems to put Tony to sleep.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Time for Tony to take some extended time off. The Rockefeller Center tree lighting last night was an embarrassment.

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

But he still is a kid from 1 to 92, just barely.

19. Ronald Sarbo

Is Tony sporting a moustache? It's hard to tell if he is or if he just forgot to shave.

The problem at Rock Center was Diana Krall. Her solo performance was lifeless.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

21. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I watched the first hour of the Rockefeller special to see Diana Krall. I'm not hugely familiar with her work, but everyone here raves about her. Um.... Was that typical of her live? If not, what was going on?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

At least it was not raining. The show, sorta "live", is usually a vaudeville/talent show train wreck. But oddly fun to watch. Seems as if they haul TB out every year as he has product to sell.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Funny Krall/Bennett story;

I saw Diana Krall on her first US tour in 1996 at the first Litchfield Jazz Fest.

About a year or two prior, I was on the beach in Atlantic City early in the morning and saw this old guy walking towards me with a hot younger woman and a small dog in his arm. Right as he got near me, I looked up and said "Aren't you...?" and he glanced at me, winked and said "That's right, kid."

24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

She can't sing, that's all

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Opinions...opinions...Everyone has one just like an...oh, well you know.:p:laugh:

MikaelaArsenault and smilin ed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.