Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just like I said, loads of negativity

2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

That's my nature!;)

Tribute likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is so much more enjoyable in life to find pleasure in things and in the people around us

roda12 likes this.
  4. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I don't think that's true in the least bit.

In that series of Songbook albums that started from Berlin-Bennett and stretched to the Kern set, he might be relying on small combo units for the most part but he's interested in changing settings.

Perfect example: Day In-Day Out on Perfectly Sinatra (does this even count as a songbook, since it cobbles together the work of many different writers?). The first minute of that song is just Tony with Clayton Cameron on drums.

Or on "All of You," he takes the verse at a clip and then does a gorgeous, languid version of a tune that would normally be taken at a clip. It's jarring. It's different and it works.

If you have qualms with the Duets albums, that's fine. I do, too. To be fair, a couple of those Duets are actually quite lovely, like his Duet with Alejandro Sanz on "Esta Tarde Vi Llover (Yesterday I Heard The Rain)."

Also, Bennett doesn't really do concept albums in the Sinatra vein. Astoria might be the exception since you can really see his mindset in picking these songs; Bennett penned the liner notes, after all. They're songs from his childhood and youth mixed with a couple of DeForrest tunes that reflect his aching sense of nostalgia.

I love The Art of Romance. Fantastic album. But I don't see a concept there except that he's performing some love songs and some are enjoyable, some are wistful and some are deeply romantic. That's not necessarily a concept. Well sequenced, maybe. But a concept? Not necessarily. In fact, I'd argue that the songbooks are stronger conceptually than The Art of Romance.

And in regards to the Kern album...

Bennett is performing with a world class piano trio, performing with Charlap as his sole accompanist or he's backed by Charlap and Rosenes. There's variance there.

5. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Tonight and tomorrow night MeTV airs Tony's appearances on 77 Sunset Strip from 1963. Billboard called it Tony's "Acting debut".

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Please let us know if he was any "better" than he was in The Oscar. :sigh::rolleyes::help:

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Tony with Kookie! lol

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

NorCal, paulmock and colormesinatra like this.
  9. Chris Phasey

Chris Phasey Forum Resident

Not looked in for a while it's good to see plenty of activity and add my support for the release of any material that lies in the vault!

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nice to see you, Chris. (BTW, I recently bought a copy of your "Sinatra Tracked Down" book.)

11. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Yeah, a shame to go over a year with nothing. Of course, if that means another duets album, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe this will be the year johnny Mathis gets his overdue Grammy. Tony always steamrolled the competition.

colormesinatra likes this.
  12. Chris Phasey

Chris Phasey Forum Resident

Good lord - are there still copies around! I am embarrassed at how outdated it must be - it and my other Tony Bennett effort do have updated versions on my PC but I struggle to keep abreast of all the Sinatra issues that creep out around the world (alongside another dozen or so artists I also added) but it all seems irrelevant in view of the information now available on the internet.

Still it keeps me out of mischief, thanks for your comment.

Bob F likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Benno123 and roda12 like this.
  14. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Love Jackie Gleason! From his classic Capitol albums to his Tv shows and films! His biography by Jim Bacon "How sweet it is" is a treat and highly recommandable if you wanna know how to make it as a conman! He was an original!

As for the TimeLife releases, usually they are very disappointing because they almost always cut out the best scenes! So happened with their releases of the great "Andy Williams Show". Very good vision and sound but his best scenes and songs were cut out!!! It was a shame. Because to really appreciate Andy (who is my second favorite singer after guess who) you have to know the things he did on TV which were amazing vocally and musically. So a great chance was missed due to TimeLife!

15. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Time-Life is currently negotiating with BCE to release more Crosby TV specials.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Andy does deserve more recognition as a quality singer. Some of his late 50's LPs were masterpieces.

[​IMG]

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yeah, that is the Bing Crosby Enterprises that shut down the biggest Crosby discussion forum, because too many people were having fun discussing Crosby with the oversight of BCE. They had hired a control freak to manage BCE.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I meant WITHOUT the oversight of BCE of course. Their manager wrote to me when I complained and said discussion of Bing needed to be structured. After that, web activity about Bing dropped to near zero. It had been extremely active.

19. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Tony was on Kimmel last night!

MMM, NorCal and iloveguitars like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He sounded VERY raspy and (to be honest) he is showing his age here. Hopefully it was just an "off" night.

21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Most likely just an off night! He gets better half way through. Often times the sound situation on those TV shows is very difficult for singers.
    So happened with Andy Williams when I saw him live in 2009. He gave a tremendous unforgettable performance at Royal Albert Hall. Next day he appeared on the Jools Holland TV show and his performance was very weak. Due to bad sound in the studio! They also let him stand in the wings for two hours(!) without offering him a chair. You could see that he got tired.
    Next day he sang a few songs in Glasgow during a book launch were he presented his autobiography and he gave us the greatest version of "This is all I ask" I can think of. All of a sudden he sounded like in the 1960's!!!
    It was similar with Sinatra in later years. Usually a great night was often followed by a bad night.
    Enjoyed Tony's performance very much!

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If he was actually showing his age, he would not be leaving his house.

23. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

It’s sad to see 2017 come and go without any Tony release.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

CBS News - Calendar: Week of November 13

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member