Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

He's so sweet!

2. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He needs to be protected and no longer give interviews. He embarsses himself when he is allowed to do so. Age is catching up with him rather quickly. Time to slow down, Danny!

colormesinatra likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The problem he faces is terrible interviewers. Most artists, no matter what their age have this problem - facing poor interviewers.

SBC, roda12 and Imagine70 like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

You can just see the confusion on his face as he is pelted with questions one after another. He is out of his current element doing this. He has placed his foot in his mouth more than once in recent years doing these interviews and it should either be discontinued or VERY controlled.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Hearing questions in a complex/cluttered sound environment is very difficult for most people over 80, even with the world's best hearing aides. Stupid questions take extra time to comprehend for anyone.

Tord and SBC like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

All the more reason to keep Tony away from that ever occurring again.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

9. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Terrible questions from people that really had no idea of his history, probably never listened to an entire album of his...etc. As one person said, stupid questions take longer to process. At his age I'm sure his hearing is not what it once was, and in a loud room, of course he had trouble hearing. I think he handled himself quite well. I can't imagine an artist having to endure the same rehashed questions night after night.

10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Perfectly right! That silly interview and the noisy situation would have been a challenge even for a young person.

Tord and kennyluc1 like this.
  11. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

And I found his remark on Beyonce very very funny!
    "What would be your dream collaboration with Beyonce" "That's very personal!":D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    SBC and kennyluc1 like this.
  12. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Is that a new recording with groban or an older track? I can't quite tell.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

A quick comparison to the existing recording from the 2008 album A Swingin' Christmas (Disc 73) seems to indicate this is a different version for Tony's parts of the duet:

See also earlier in this thread: The Classic Christmas Album (2011)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    paulmock likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

He was fine when able to hear the question. Some of the questions were inane - Alec Baldwin impressions?

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I quite agree, @Bob F Tony's voice seems "raspier" in the recording with Groban. Initially, it seems like a mismatch to me vocally.

Bob F likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There are lyric differences, also. In the last part of the duet, Tony sings, “Families drawing near.” In the 2008 version, he sings, “We'll be drawing near.” I think I detect a little auto-tuning on Tony's duet portion, as well.

paulmock likes this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If so, it certainly isn't the 1st Latter Day Tony recording to be auto-tuned.

18. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

19. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

What a voice, what a guy!

20. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Anybody else surprised that 90 got a Grammy nod? I thought it weak and commercial fluff.

Johnny Mathis tackles new material and gets snubbed.

roda12 and colormesinatra like this.
  21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yeah, guess you're right. I'm a big big Tony fan and I really grant him his Grammy sucesses. But to tell the truth, he's making the same album again and again for 25 years. Songbook after songbook and he receives Grammy after Grammy. Meanwhile he's a case for Guiness book of records I think. In my opinion the last real good album he did was "Astoria" in 1989. A real Grammy deserving album. Which didn't win!!!

colormesinatra likes this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just got the original album release of "Long ago and far away". What a beautiful album, great arrangements and nice choice of songs. But what baaaad sound! Tony's voice is drowned in reverb and the whole album is hard to listen to soundwise. Is the Cd release any better? Or even the Dol Lp version?

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

One of the great mysteries is "What would ALL of Tony Bennett's recordings for Columbia in his first period with them have sounded like if they had recorded his voice (and the instruments) in a completely natural way, even with the same arrangements?"

My expectation is a whole lot better.

paulmock and roda12 like this.
  24. scoredaddy

scoredaddy Forum Resident

the CD release is not any better... the sound on this album has always been muddy and unclear.

roda12 and paulmock like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

We can thank the professionals at Columbia for that. The marketers who thought they knew what the public wanted, the producers who thought they themselves were the artists, and the engineers, who I suspect simply followed orders.

If Columbia's staff had a clear head, they would have released more albums that would eventually be considered vocal classics of the ages. Instead producers like Norman Granz, and record labels like Capitol (and others) tended to produce natural sounding recordings and had a better sense of the art of singing and produced many more masterpiece vocal LPs.

roda12 likes this.