Spandau Ballet Will Split

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After the last few tour dates What Tony Hadley, said on the Mirror for 4 to 5 years?:confused:
    He said it has nothing to do with John Keeble falling ill.. during there tour in Spain over the summer
    I beg to differ John, looks really bad very ill in the face..
    Dam, I wanted new cd by Spandau ballet it was being worked on..
    I understand they need a break but that long of one sure they have been touring
    since 2009 they came to us I couldn't afford tickets.. sigh,..:shake:

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Great band. I really like them.

MikaelaArsenault and Moshe like this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Heck, I didn't know they were touring :mad:
    I saw some reunion footage, as I had really gotten into the band a lot more about a year and a half ago. Though "it would be great to see this, too bad that seems a one-off." Ah well.

4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Ageed, great band. I would've enjoyed seeing them at least once.

I don't recall them playing Seattle but they must have at some point during the 80s.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

They hit the Bay Area twice....TWICE....in 2015!!

6. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Oh man, this one really hurts.

Synthfreek likes this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I didn't know they got back together after they split up the first time.

8. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

Great live band, saw them last year. You probably know more songs of them then you think..

Sondek and longdist01 like this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Indeed, and the opening night show at The Warfield was awesome. They were so taken aback by the crowd response that they were still talking about the SF show during the live webcast from LA of the third show!!!

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

they seemed the same way at Wembley back in whatever year that was-really touched and shocked that so many people had remembered them and turned out. I think their stuff was just very well crafted and stands up well. I never get tired of hearing True or Gold.

11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Well, 18 months later, Tony Hadley's just announced his departure...will they dare continue without him?

[​IMG]

12. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

From what I can gather on Twitter over the past year, everybody else wanted to continue the reunion and he didn't.

I was never really into them but I got a cheap ticket for their Boston show two years ago, and they impressed me.

13. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Their Facebook post suggests they're continuing without him.

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

"Beyond his control"? What does that mean?

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I imagine it means that the rest of the band decided to continue on, and he does not have veto power, so he was essentially fired.

soundboy likes this.
  16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

But what does he have on his plate that's more money-making than Spandau Ballet? I'd imagine he can rearrange his schedule if the band decides to do an album and/or tour.

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You can understand bands like these squabbling and falling out when they're in their teens and twenties but to still be doing it in their fifties and sixties seems ridiculous. They've clearly learned nothing. It's a lose-lose situation.. Tony Hadley isn't much without Spandau Ballet and the group in losing their lead singer aren't much without him!

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He was legally required to post that disclaimer. Why? Only the band and lawyers know the details.

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

… followed by Aztec Two Step and Dance or Die.

20. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

So... when is the "reunion" tour happening....

I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the cards in a few years time

21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

They had a reunion tour going and it seems that Tony put an end to it. After reading the book "Mad World" with interviews with many '80's stars, Tony seemed bitter even then and I was a little surprised that the 2014-15 activity took place.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Gary Kemp took over more lead vocals.

soundboy likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Who knows the reasons for his decision. Maybe he wanted to be with family, maybe he wanted a rest from the road for a while, it could be something other than another money-making venture. He had a stint as a solo artist many years ago, but he didn't become the new Phil Collins, so I don't imagine he would be putting the band on hold while he does another solo album/tour.

It's a shame, because, as I wrote above, they were really great in concert two years ago.

soundboy likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Spandau Ballet – News
    03 Jul 2017
    Statement from Spandau Ballet

Much to our frustration, Tony had made it clear in September 2016 that he didn’t want to work with the band anymore. This has not changed and 2015 was the last time we were able to perform or work with him. So we have now made the decision to move on as a band.

Spandau Ballet

soundboy likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Once it was Gary who was the 'bad person,' now its Tony. All bands become a soap opera eventually. A shame as looked like they'd be a fun band to go see live with my wife.

Who's the new singer then???

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The bit I highlighted seems at odds with Tony's claim that he has been forced to say that he is no longer a member of the band. Tony's statement seems to suggest that he still wanted to be considered a band-member, but the band's statement makes it seem like he was done with the band. Both statements cannot be true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.