"Too Funny to Fail: The Life & Death of The Dana Carvey Show" (Hulu)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

My favorite moment was the Mountain Dew sketch. "What does that look like to you?" Tremendous.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. America - thank you for welcoming us into your living room....uh - hey, where ya goin'...we haven't even gotten to the kitties nursing part yet...!"

keefer1970 likes this.
  3. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

This was absolutely riotus. Especially the part where when they show the ad to Stephen Colbert and he laughs himself to tears.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    AKA and Dan C like this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The Maine racists bits were hysterical to me. Sad it's still relevant I guess. Too bad people have yet to awaken to the true menace (nobody suspects the Eskimos but just look at the lack of availability of ice cubes). :cry::laugh:

5. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Great show! I watched it when it was originally on. I didn't realize "The Ambiguously Gay Duo" originated on that show.

I have been watching the show on Hulu. I'm just now watching the documentary.

Dana still has it! His Netflix standup show is great! I'm anxious to see what he does next. It would be cool to see what Wayne and Garth are up to, 25+ years later.

halfjapanese, Vidiot and Dan C like this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Just watched the docu, and now spinning through the series. I’d forgotten how much I watched it back then. Grandma the Clown! I thought I dreamt that!

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Watched this documentary last night - laughed out loud, a lot. I had only the vaguest memories of watching the first episode of The Dana Carvey Show when it first aired (which I recalled little of aside from the infamous lactating-Clinton sketch) but I guess must have watched more than one episode back then because several of the other bits and clips they showed looked familiar and made me go "Oh yeahhhh! That was funny!" :D

I had no idea that both Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert had been "Carvey" cast members till fairly recently. In this doc, Colbert credits their "Waiters Who are Nauseated By Food" sketch for getting them both their gig with "The Daily Show" a few years later!

Is Hulu streaming the individual episodes of the show too? If so I may have to revisit them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    ex_mixer and Dan C like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Although Mike Myers has a huge amount of money and is said to be extremely eccentric and difficult to work with. I don't think there's any love lost between Dana Carvey and Mike Nyers -- he talked about how tough it was to work on Wayne's World 2 and how much Myers had been changed by success.

9. RoyalScam

They are indeed...and they're even streaming the unaired 8th episode. I watched them all after the documentary, and loved a lot of what I saw. I remember watching the "Clinton teats" intro live in 1996 and thinking, "WTF did I just watch?!" I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch and appreciate the show 20 years on.

"Grandma The Clown" is a treasure. Smigel's Bob Dole would never make it to TV today. "Germans Trying To Say Nice Things" had me in tears. This show would've been a smash on cable 5 or 10 years later.

Leviethan, Gumboo and Dan C like this.
  10. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Wayne's World did appear in 2011 in the SNL intro to an episode hosted by Dana Carvey. I'm watching it on Hulu. The monologue was pretty funny. He does a song and dance routine about how his cast was the best, acompanied by John Lovitz .

Vidiot and Dan C like this.
  11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

:biglaugh:

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They also appeared in the 40th Anniversary SNL tribute awhile back, so apparently they can at least sit in the same room together. But I think Myers made an awful lot of money very quickly, and that can change a person.

Dan C likes this.
  13. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

The ticket guy looks like a young Louis CK.

14. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

That's because it IS a young Louis CK.

RoyalScam and The Hud like this.
  15. RoyalScam

Indeed. He was head writer.

RubenH likes this.
  16. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I remember the concept of the show but doing the math I was in college when this aired and working a retail job so this would explain why I never saw it when it aired.

Very enjoyable documentary full of lol moments. I believe Dana was on Colbert the other night which reminded me to check this out.

Louie CK with hair blows my mind.

17. I liked the show at the time. I related to the edgy humor. It struck me as America's Monty Python. I can see why it tanked--it just didn't connect with the audience. Wrong network, wrong time, etc.

18. chodad

chodad Hodad

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not funny, therefore failed.

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Missed the Carvey show completely when it ran. Don't know how but it was a weird period of my life. Anyway, watched this doc last night and it was great. Will search out and watch every episode now. And yes, this segment(as did many) had me laughing out loud. Great stuff.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No. Funny as hell, and way too weird for the so called average American. And it was on the wrong network. That's why it failed.

jupiter8 and Dan C like this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I reject your premise, but cannot argue with your conclusion. :laugh:

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Leviethan, RoyalScam and jupiter8 like this.
  24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

The show was shot in NYC- my brother actually worked on it. I went to a taping with a woman I was trying to impress- the show taping lasted over 3 hours because they kept re-shooting one sketch. So much for impressing her!

25. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I was a big fan of Dana Carvey (I actually went to see "Opportunity Knocks" on opening night), but I never could get into this show. At the time I felt like he was trying too hard, but in retrospect I probably just wasn't ready to see a different kind of humor from him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.