Too Many Choices! (Turntables...it's a good thing!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troyh, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

agreed, now is the time to buy. the next Classic they make will likely be $10K special edition nonsense

Strat-Mangler and Chupacabra like this.
  2. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

That's the exact setup that I had. As I said, I vent with a Thorens 160 from VN but I seriously looked at VPI. As was mentioned before, check out the demos at the big sites like music direct and soundstage direct (which has a trade in program, i think).

ddarch likes this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Wish I could of have truly auditioned all those! I went with a Clearaudio Concept Wood MC (a bit more than the standard Concept). I've toyed with the idea of upgrading, but then I listen to it and think how great it sounds.

FWIW, I started with a MM cartridge and then moved up to the Concept MC and it made a massive difference. I'd suggest you just start there if you have a phono stage capable of moving coil.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was shopping in this same range a while back. I researched and read everthing about all these tables for about a year. I tried and returned a couple highly regarded tables. I really like the Acoustic Signature (over budget) that I chose in the end.

However, if I didn't already own a similar Thorens, my choice would have been one of the tables from Vinyl Nirvana.

I have yet to hear of a dissatisfied customer of VN. Yet, with any other brand, I've found numerous posts regarding poor quality and/or customer support.

I compared my humble old Thorens (not as nice as those from VN), back to back, with a VPI Classic. The Classic was returned.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I think that's good advice. Anyone considering making the move up in table and arm really needs to consider
    that there is also a lot of potential to be unlocked with cartridge and photo stage. there are lots of elements
    here that have to work together, it's links in a chain.

Hogues, snorker and Shiver like this.
  6. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the input.
    DeRosa, at this time I will still be using the built in Phono stage on the Mac.
    Helom-Nice advice and I will for sure add them to the list.
    Fun stuff.
    The Origine has 'piqued' my interest...dang it!

7. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The Acoustic Signature Primus is getting some good reviews in that price range too, and some mentions around here in other threads, especially with one of their own nice unipivot tonearms, though they have a lower price option with modified Rega RB202 ...

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The Marantz would not be too much of an upgrade. I'm actually waiting for the MoFi to come out and be reviewed.

jeffsab likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

That tonearm on the Primus is actually a gimbal bearing arm, despite it's resemblance to a unipivot. I have the next model up and it's also gimbal, though a very good one.

Davey likes this.
  10. billby

billby Forum Resident

I would stick to $1k for the table and budget the rest on a phono stage and cartridge. A Rega P3, Lehmann Black Cube and a Zu Denon cart w/ new phono cable would just blow you away. Rhythm and timing, clarity and dynamics are what to go for upgrading at this level. By keeping the system components equal in performance you will see a sum improvement of the total package. Blowing 2 grand on a new table w/o getting a new stage or cart wouldn't be as enjoyable to listen to. You'd throw open a big window on the sound of everything else in the chain and immediately be frustrated at their shortcomings. Think about exactly what needs improvement in your system in terms of sound and focus on achieving those goals. Usually one component won't make a huge difference until the whole system has reached a certain level. You didn't mention your speakers but it's hard to recommend new tables not knowing what transducers you're using on either end. Hopefully, you have some lively and sensitive speakers in your system already. If you don't then you won't hear much of the improvement a new table will give you. Low sensitivity flattens dynamics and the soundstage falls back instead of reaching out towards the listener. Being a drummer i'm guessing that when the drummer hits a snare in a song, you'd like to get hit too. The Macintosh sounds fine but it's not going to drive modern boxes with impedence dips so easily. You could do very well with a pair of vintage speakers like JBL's or Altecs with that amp.
    In general, you'll find tables that focus on timing (like idlers, dd's and British decks), and tables with belt drives that add mass in some way that soundstage and provide more "detail" but many don't satisfy in the long run cause they can't make realistic music. I like Michell a lot btw, I've owned the technodec and gyrodec, they can boogie without sounding clinical.
    The P3 is a fine deck. Rega forgoes a lot of moving parts to maximize rigidity in their designs which improves performance at the price point. Another deck to check is the PTP Solid 9, although maybe for the next round.
    Cheers
    Bill

11. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I am in the same boat with you TroyH. I am upgrading from a Denon DP 300F.
    I have narrowed it down to the Music Hall MMF 7.3 or something that might not be offered in your country.
    The Italian made Valore 425Plus by Gold Note. Here is a link to the site:
    Valore 425 PLUS
    Anyway, good luck with your future purchase.
    We are very much alike in that I have been researching for almost a year as well.
    Cheers

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Had a Clearaudio Concept. Was never very happy with it. Not sure why, just never excited me. Traded it in for a VPI Scout.

13. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I really looked hard at the Concept and the one thing I heard about the table was that it was beautiful for acoustic material,
    Classical etc...but not so much for your typical 70's Rock album.
    Not sure if it is simple hearsay but nonetheless, I did see that a few times on sites like this.

Cheers

14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Active Member

I listen to so much Dio on my VPI Classic. Like, more than's probably healthy.

Cliff likes this.
  15. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I have a new Planar 3 and love it. IMHO, it's Rega's sweet spot at the moment. At least until the Planar 6 replaces the RP6. The new 330 arm is ridiculous good. I am running a Dyna 20x2H on mine, and it easily does it justice. I did have to upgrade to the tungsten counterweight, so the actual cost of my TT was 1125. I plan on getting the white belt and TTPSU later. this table seriously boogies. Here are some reviews....
    Gramophone Dreams #14: Rega Planar 3

Rega’s Planar 3 Turntable – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

Rega Gives the Popular 3 Series A New Spin With the Planar 3 (Decimal Point Added)

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Hmmm...Not sure where that comes from...I think a lot of it is cartridge dependent. FWIW, I thought the Concept Wood punched above its weight in the Clearaudio line. I still feel an itch to upgrade, but that's not exclusive to the turntable. I think it's just part of an overall sickness. :p

17. Troyh

Great advice all.
    Billby, you hit the nail right on the head as far as drum sounds go. I'd like to get a table that would fit with upgrades down the road for sure.
    BTW-running B&W Matrix 805's.
    Can't seem to find an Oracle Origine dealer to get more info.

billby likes this.
  18. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Full reviews of new turntables seem to take a long time to come out. I've seen a lot of first impressions of the ProJect Classic and Shinola Runwell but have yet to see a real review of either.

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Wondering if the PJ Classic with a 2M Black would be a worthwhile upgrade. Or if a Rega P3 with Exact 2 would be better.
    Then of course there's the stretch-the-budget Technics SL-1200GR and cartridge...

20. Benzion

I'm in no hurry. My current deck works trouble-free.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  21. Benzion

PJ classic, IMO, is nothing more but the Debut in a Linn LP-12 look-alike plinth. Same tonearm, essentially same stock cartridge (2M Silver is 2M Red with silver coils). The table itself is hardly much of an upgrade. The Black cartridge certainly is, however, you can get a similarly spec'd AT 150 sA (or mlX) for about half the price.

22. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Are Gold Note much known or supported in Canada?

Great tables.

23. Troyh

Just got an offer for a RP6, with Exact cart. I would be trading in my NAD 326bee amp and RP1 tables.
    $995 out the door w/trade.
    What think you?

24. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Is that new? With the exact 1 or 2 cartridge? That is a fair deal for a grand and a huge improvement over the RP1.

25. Troyh

Up-Exact 2.
    Seems like a pretty good deal and a little better than I could get selling on the secondary market.

HiFi Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.