Too Many Choices! (Turntables...it's a good thing!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troyh, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

but now you will need an amp, too...

2. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Benzion-LOL! Nah, I'm gonna keep my Mac for awhile.
    Seems like a pretty good deal, think so?

3. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member

Did you even look at the spec sheets before you made this claim? They are not the same tonearm, not the same platter.

4. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Gold Note turntables can't be found in a lot of dealerships but they can be found in some.
    As far as I know, they started marketing here around 3 years ago. The distributor seems to be very helpful
    if you have issues with the table so, that is a good sign.

5. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Clear audio Performance / Concept the best in the market for the price .

snorker likes this.
  6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Close enough to matter little. I'm not dissing the Project. I own a Debut Carbon, it's my current rig and I'm fairly happy with it. But, when time comes to upgrade, the Classic will not be it, as it's just too close, not enough of an upgrade. That's what I meant, to be exact, regardless of "specs". When you drive a Honda Fit, you get a Fit with a bigger engine and rear spoiler - it's still a Fit. Jumping to an Accord or a VW Passat - that would be an upgrade, if you can pardon the automotive comparison. With the OP's budget, he has better options than going from Debut to Classic. And, if you disagree with that opinion - it's just fine, opinions are subjective by default. The OP will read through all of them, and will filter out something useful to him in the end, whatever that may happen to be.

Troyh likes this.
  7. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Cool. Please share your thoughts if you get to sample one. I tried one out after a trusted recommendation and think it's fantastic.

8. Troyh

Update time:
    I just was priced $1350 with my trades for the Oracle Origine w/2mblue cart. (Trades are a NAD 326bee and a Rega 1.) I just don't know if I would be better suited with the Rega 6 w/exact 2 cart and spend the difference on a better phono stage down the line. The Oracle looks pretty cool, but haven't really read any reviews.
    I'll take any suggestions and guidance please!

9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

How's your French?

I know, not what you're looking for, they never even put a record on the thing, but fun to watch and not much out there yet. Should be soon, I think there's quite a bit of interest in this one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Still

Still Well-Known Member

I just sold my Michell Gyrodec SE with TecnoArm for $2000, so in budget used. Sold with everything due to move. Classic/timeless design with remarkable vocals and sense of space. Patience pays off in set up. The amount of suspension bounce however is somewhat bothersome while changing records (I believe there may be some minor speed stability penalty due to the relatively loose suspension). Overall though, high value in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    billby likes this.
  11. Troyh

Thanks Davey! At least I can see it in real time. BTW-My French is limited to LaBelle's big hit!

12. billby

billby Forum Resident

You gotta love the running lights on that thing! Not sure if I'm into a company that would spend that much on cosmetics though. Just think what Roy Gandy would do with the money - bet it would go into better bearings or materials. Just speculation, but that unipivot tonearm design appears clumsy in use. Nothing against Oracle but you can see they did it to a price. Well Tempered and VPI have implemented better approaches. For the cost, a Michell Technodec may provide better quality as well. The Michell dc motor and bearing is top notch, as well as arm mount and platter. I would listen to the Oracle before considering a purchase. Just my 50 cents!
    B

13. Troyh

Thanks Billby. A Michell is definitely out of the picture.

14. Troyh

Meant to type, definitely NOT out of the picture. The Rega arm throws a little toward just going for a 6, but I like the design of the Michell and Oracle.

15. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Troyh likes this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Picking a TT in this price range today is truly like looking for a new girlfriend at an all girl's school. Gentlemen's choice.

Best sonic wishes. Make sure to follow up with us on your decision.

Cyclone Ranger and Troyh like this.
  17. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

My preference is for a lively sound, with a depth of tonal character. When you're dealing with gear that is built to a budget (as it all is, really), it's important to understand your personal priorities and not to compromise on those priorities. There will be compromise, just elsewhere.

My experience with the mentioned tables is as follows:

1) Origine - I've heard the Origine, and also previously owned an older version of the Oracle Delphi. The Origine seemed to have a similar character to my old Delphi: nice liveliness to the percussive element, nice depth of tone. It seemed really good given the price, and matches my priorities exactly.

2) Michell Tecnodec/Gyro SE - The Gyro would be used of course. I owned a Gyro at one point, and it also excelled in a similar way to the Delphi, though it was a bit "lighter on its feet". Michell's have a little less depth of tone than Oracle's (other than the Orbe), but are a fun listen. Note that the Gyro is much harder to set up than any other table you're considering (though not so hard that non-handy me couldn't do it). The Tecnodec is a scaled back Gyro without the suspension. I've never seriously auditioned it, but somebody who shares similar tastes to me has heard it and thought it was excellent at its price.

3) VPI Scout - I'm personally not a fan of what I've heard of mass-oriented VPI tables, and the Scout is definitely not my thing. I was fully expecting to like it, but it does not excel in my areas of priority - it is geared to bring a "heaviness" to the sound. If you are looking for a heavy sound for relatively low $$, this is a good choice.

4) Rega tables I've heard are somewhat similar to Michell's in tonality, but with a bit less depth and a bit more drive. I haven't heard the RP6 mind you. The P3 is very good at the $1K price point, never seriously considered the higher-end Rega's.

5) Clearaudio tables that I've heard (such as the Marantz-branded one) have a "clear" sound to them, though a bit thin for my liking (being that I want depth of tone above all else). If your priority is ultimate treble clarity, Clearaudio is a good option. I'd say the sound is the opposite of the VPI sound.

6) Nottingham - Perhaps the Spacedeck I heard was defective...but there was just no "zip" to the music, it was very sleeeepy. So the opposite of my priorities (which include "awake").

In terms of RP6 vs. Origine...I would certainly lean toward the Origine. It sounded great at the Montreal audio show last year, and I've never heard an Oracle that I didn't like. I'd rather buy a cut-down version of a high-end table (ie Origine being a downsized Paris, which is itself a downsized Delphi), rather than a model that is a "step up" from the popular model (which for Rega is the P3 line).

Whatever way you go though...enjoy!

Kristofa, Still, EmmEff and 2 others like this.
  18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Looks likely to be this year (UK at least). The Planar 6 will have a solid (not cut-out) lightweight plinth (similar material to the RP8 plinth), heavier version of the Planar 3 platter, new RB330 arm with latest wiring (which is goooood), probably black only like 8 & 10. Don't know about subplatter...

heliocentric likes this.
  19. G E

G E Senior Member

Well Tempered Amadeus within reach if open to used. They turn up on audiogon once in a while.

A former Ford aerospace engineer created it and many of his design principles are unique.

I've had one for 3 years and it is an incredible deck.

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That TT is on my short list but it is an oddball design. Im worriedfew will know how to do set up and service on it down the road . what has your experience been with that?

21. Troyh

Update:
    80% sure I'm going to go with the Oracle. Just the design, uni-arm, platter, and Oracle's rep, have really got me leaning in that direction.

countingbackward and EmmEff like this.
  22. Troyh

Done deal. Origine will be here on Friday. I will give my, (limited knowledge) review.
    Already got a nice bottle of St. Bernardus Apt. 12 chilling.

Gavinyl, EmmEff, wgb113 and 4 others like this.
  23. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Awesome Troyh,
    Let us know how it is.
    Good Luck

24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Love the choice of beverage. It just doesn't get much better.

Congrats and good luck on the new table. Don't rush the feedback, let it settle in, get past the honeymoon phase, and really get to know it :)

25. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Congrats! Just be sure to set it up and put the record on BEFORE drinking that wonderful Belgian!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.