Too many turntables, too little time...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you guys don't understand my sickness then who will.:laugh:

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

Why do you think I post my musings here rather than discuss them with the daytime drama crowd?... ;)
    -Bill

3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I only have one TT. I admit I went nuts on it with accessories. My problem is CD/Blu-ray/dvd players. I have several of those floating around the house.

SandAndGlass and Rolltide like this.
  5. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

... so I'm not reading any real problems in this post ;)

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If you have the choice of trading in a P9 and buying the RP8 or RP10 and Apheta 2 new or keeping the P9 and putting the same money (as a limit) toward a cartridge, what do you do?

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

But you've still got your Michell Orbe, right ?

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I wanted to mention it at random somewhere but now you've given me context, thanks! -
    That 124 package was an awesome and generous sale, big kudos to you and big congrats to RX! Need more folks like you in world...

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Absolutely, it's not going anywhere, current line-up is the Orbe/SME IV/van den Hul MC2, the Garrard 301/SME M2-12R/Miyajima Zero A, Roksan Xerxes 10/Artemis/Ortofon MC3000 and modded SL-1210 Mk2/TecnoArm/Ortofon OM all up and running , Garrard 401 and Goldring G-99 awaiting restoration, Goldring Lenco GL-75 parts donor and an Ariston RD90/Alphason Delta/Linn K-9 boxed up, plus a few other things I am getting around to selling, a big purge of unused gear.

I'd just add that my analogue front ends are the best sounding they've ever been and I'm loving playing records more than ever.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Since Jan 1, so far, I've bought two phono's: Lounge LCR (love it) and Monacor SPR-6 (out of curiosity, still en route from Austria), one head amp - Hagerman Piccolo 2 (love it), and two carts: Stanton 681EEE NOS (score!) and Hana EL (in transit). Sold one phono - Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+ (traded for the Hana EL). Have my eyes glued to two more phono's and a few more carts this year, also, possibly, a tube preamp and an exotic SS power amp. Why? - I'm a sick man, too, apparently...

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I bought a Gold Note PH 10 and a Vertere Phono 1, love them both so I'm avoiding a head to head for now, I sold an Electrocompaniet phono stage and might let my Lehmann go as well, keeping my Trichord Dino/Dino + which would leave me with the ability to connect four decks at once, I have plenty of carts left to play with and I'm actually happy with my amps and speakers, have been for a long time, hopefully now at that place with the decks and phono stages.

Benzion likes this.
  13. KT88

I have an axe.
    -Bill

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  14. KT88

Trade for the new RP10 and Apheta 2. The Apheta is a great sounding cartridge and that makes it perhaps a wash with the other cartridge that you might buy. Also placing the other cartridge on the P9 will limit its potential in comparison to it mounted on the RP10, especially so if the P9 has the RB900. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, even though you are getting the better sounding deck and so likely system with the RP10, and that might be the only measure for many, you will also be taking advantage of the opportunity to get a warranty on the new deck and thus escape any potential problems with the P9 going forward. Not that problems are likely, but the older the electronics get in any power supply, the more likely a failure. So I see the upgrade as one of both sonics and of insurance in the investment.
    -Bill

punkmusick and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

HEY!!

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I really feel one should put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to turntables. I think in terms of audio gear analog is the most linear in terms of more spending = better sound, and you don't want to divide up the spend. Getting a VPI Classic sent all my other "change of pace" tables to new homes - you never need a change of pace from objectively better. Then the Garrard 301 ended any thoughts of ever owning a different table.

SandAndGlass, KT88 and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes and no, my thinking is I need an excellent stereo deck, (Michell Orbe), another excellent stereo deck for my second system, (Xerxes 10), an excellent 1 mil mono deck, (301), an excellent 0.7 mil mono deck, (401), an excellent 78 deck, (G-99) and a deck with a more modest MM for poorer vinyl, (SL-1210), this is my belief and I am sticking to it, now if you offered to swap most of them for a SME 30/12 or a top spec Vertere RG-1 I might just change my mind.

Benzion likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

F.Y.I., I was just reading another thread about hum issues in a Rega PR6, earlier this morning.

I kept the tab open, Agitater had said in his post, with a recommendation to the OP's additional question about possible upgrades.

Looks kike the Karat 17D3 has a couple of thumb's up!

Benzion likes this.
  19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I got lost in all your reasoning why, but I agree in principal - mo' is better! (I've got five so far...)

SandAndGlass and Dubmart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.