Too Much "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GLUDFSSR, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know about anybody else but I think there has been way too much promotion for this movie. It's not like there is anybody out there that is not aware of this movie coming out, yet it being promoted more than the holidays this year. Look around I see more Star Wars posters and products than holiday decorations. Just turn on the TV , no matter what channel you are on there is a commercial, or a tie in on a show. And if you walk through a mall or go to just about any store. Be it a grocery store, big box retailer it is everywhere. Food products, clothing, holiday items, books, magazines, cooking items, bedding it's on anything imaginable.
    Look I grew up with this series I saw Star Wars in 1977 when I was 7 years old. I have my tickets to opening weekend, but this is just way too much.
    I know this is mainly because it's a Disney product but it's just overkill and is in some way making me less interested in the movie as I was earlier in the year.

2. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I pretty much agree with you, however, as the proud dad of two adorable little girls, 2&1/2 and 5, I for one appreciate the fact that something else has booted "Frozen" out of the way. Finally. I don't know how much more Anna and Elsa and Let it Go I could handle. I think....... thank the Lord...... everytime I see Kylo Ren instead of Olaf. :D

- Buck

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No such thing as too much Star Wars :)

Everyone is of course aware of the movie coming out, but all the toys, commercials, magazines are really to help sell more toys and merchandise. Nothing wrong with that. There's about a billion dollar economy hinging on this movie. And people want to make money, and I don't blame them. I want to make money by doing my job, too ;)

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

What? A new Star Wars movie??

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There are two things you can never have too much of in life- The Beatles, and Star Wars. :)

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

only when its bad star wars like the previous 3 films ! I Hate those . just like all popular things everybody wants their share of the money been going since The Beatles . (Yes I had to put them in as obligated to by the Steve Hoffman forum contract so don't blame me ! )

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

:unhunh: Maybe the movie will be total rubbish

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The holidays come once a year. This is the first Star Wars movie with Luke, Han and Leia in 32 years.

Keith V, Rhett, LivingForever and 4 others like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Way, way, way too much promotion that I'm seeing for it. But I understand why. It looks a little desperate, like they know they're gonna make a billion dollars, but what they really want is that second billion dollars. If the movie is good, nobody will care that we had 17,000 The Force Awakens commercials from July to December.

Robin L, Hutch, alexpop and 2 others like this.
  11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

If it doesn't make a billion dollars it will be a flop

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

We tied, like minds.........:cheers:

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I can't believe that I'm, almost, ready to buy a ticket. I swore after the prequels to NEVER do it again!

14. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Is it promotion or simply the overload of merchandising? I don't think, in essence, that's there any more film advertising for the title than usual for a Hollywood blockbuster release. I think there was some statement by JJ Abrams to that effect. It's just that the film has been attached to every consumer item under the sun, and they're being advertised on every possible platform to death. Indeed, the merchandising has been incredibly well coordinated, and it does sometimes feel like we're reaching near-saturation levels. And that's on top of the preponderance of Star Wars material already in the culture.

But we'd best get used to it! Disney want a nice return on their $4 billion dollar investment, so we'll have a Star Wars movie every year for the rest of eternity. o_O

[​IMG]

scobb likes this.
  15. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Nah. The merchandising and ancillary markets will make sure the project is highly profitable. Already is, no doubt...

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its going to be great, its going to sell sell sell, its bloody Star Wars, shut up.

forthlin and sgtmono like this.
  17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Can never be too much Star Wars. :)

One always has the option to protest by not seeing the movie. :laugh:

Actually I saw a Millennium Falcon toy that can actually fly....

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Going into Walmart I see they have every conceivable Stars Wars promo item in nearly every aisle, the only things I've not yet seen is Kleenex and toilet paper with Star Wars on them.

It's one of the biggest market saturation's I've ever seen.

19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I find all the Star Wars promotion to be cute. Can never see enough of R2-D2 and C3P0.

20. Vladimir Estragon

Vladimir Estragon New Member

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I still haven't seen the prequels. I know I'll probably get around to seeing them someday, but I'm in no rush.
    I like the original trio so much that every time I start watching PM I want to be watching ANH.
    Does this make sense? :shrug:

Actually I'm more interested in the next ST movie & the new ST series coming next year.

Darryl

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    melstapler likes this.
  22. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

I'm a high school librarian. A few days before the release here in Australia I'm going to mount a giant Star War display in my library. I have gathered together action figures, books, lego, the whole deal. Try and get kids reading the Star Wars BOOKS.

23. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would be seriously surprised if Kleenex or some tissue company like Puffs didn't have Star Wars themed tissue boxes.

And if anyone finds any, let me know because I want them. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    JediJoker and scott palmiter like this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah, it's pretty sick. 5 months before the movie is even released or people know if it's actually good or bad we are buried in all forms of landfill-bound Star Wars garbage. Is the priority to make a film that is artful and entertaining or merely a vehicle to sell lunch boxes and flash lights? Does R2D2 need to be on soup cans and toilet cleaner? Where does it end? Reminds me of the Episode 1 Jarjar garbage. Felt like every time I went to the store I had to wade through hip deep streams of Star Wars birthday favors, paper plates, pencil holders, sanitary napkins, coloring books, sun glasses, personal lubricants, sleeping bags, dental floss....it's all garbage. The arts and crafts of a doomed society of morons with no imagination or soul. Future archaeologists will have little explanation for their findings.

audiomixer, ArpMoog and Complier like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.