Too Much "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GLUDFSSR, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So what's stopping you from buying some? :)

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

House payments ect :)

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh, a little thing like that? Pfft. :)

"So why are they foreclosing on your house, again?"

"I had to buy the entire Star Wars Micro Machines line".

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Arguably, most of the movies in the series have been fair to awful. The legacy that remains today is mostly based on two movies and maybe part of a third.

Vidiot, Huck Caton and audiomixer like this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

^^ yep, Empire is the best of the lot, for me. Depth of characterisation, epic scope, and snow. How better can it get?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Same here. I usually bust out the Original Trilogy (early 90's laserdisc rips in my case:righton:) this time of year anyway, so the new movie gives me all the excuse I need. But, yeah, I'm blanking out the endless adverts and hype until I finally go see the thing in the theatre...two or three weeks after it opens. A friend of mine and I made the critical error of going to see Revenge Of The Sith a day or two after it opened and it was madness...won't be doing that again!
    Don't joke about it, Paul (if you even are...)- I bet there are folks out there who are doing just that. "Screw paying the rent! It can wait! Screw buying groceries! Ichiban's not that bad! Screw the heating bill! I got blankets! This is STAR WARS we're talking about, g-ddamnit!!!!":laugh::laugh::laugh::shake:

Actually, maybe I shouldn't be joking about it...one of our security guards at work and his brother are Lego 'flippers'- as in, they buy the Lego new, build it and then turn round and resell the finished products on eBay, etc. Our security guard reckons they've spent almost $10000 on Star Wars Lego merchandise alone (they buy everything in multiples). Ten grand. Bloody hell, guys...I couldn't spend that much on records.

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Thanks, I found that offensive but left it alone.
    On a side note I have a original collection that would make most people drool.
    Praying I won't have to sell the stuff.
    Look up ditech to understand what were going through.
    They bought are morgage and it's been hell.

8. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah ...... I've never had a Star Wars obsession. I liked the original three when they came out, I was 8 when Star Wars appeared and 14 by Return Of The Jedi so a prime target at the time. But now it's like ...... yeah, ok, what else is there to see.

Huck Caton likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm sure DLC is a concern, but the biggest complaint about it is that the game is now based entirely around online multiplayer, and there is no true single-player or story mode to speak of. I'd still buy it but I can wait....mainly to buy an Xbox or PS to play it on, but whatevs :D

10. I already stated that I'm burned out. The irony, of course, is in my avatar. I'm interested Ina terrific film but none of the marketing that is driving it. It doesn't need any marketing.

11. Which part? With or without Ewoks? ;)

Huck Caton and Lost In The Flood like this.
  12. I must admit I find the series to have too many cooks in the kitchen. Kinda lost me with the lack of unified vision and making up lore as they went/go along to feed the marketing train. Also the fatigue I feel of being sandwiched in between superhero movies/marketing and Star Wars movies/marketing for the next decade. Yeesh.

Some fun moments in the series just the same.

13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

My biggest complaint is that the marketing was way too early. Take the new toys, for example. They came out the first week of September, for cripes sakes. "Here, buy these toys based on characters that you know nothing about". I'm the biggest SW geek there is (and a 40 year old one to boot), but it was way too much too early. I think that if they would've held off until the middle of November and just released the heck out of everything (except a couple of the trailers, those would be ok), it wouldn't have been so bad.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm sorry, you found what offensive? My post? Wasn't meant to offend if so...

As for yer collection, yeah, when I was a kid in the early to mid '80s I had damn near all of the Star Wars toys, ships and action figures. Gave 'em all to my stepbrother. Oops. You know, I have very few regrets in life but that is definitely one of them...when I see what those things go for on EBay, I think "Man, I shoulda held on to that stuff!":laugh::shake:

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

My girlfriend bought me the ROTJ Throne Room Lego set for my birthday and I'm 30 years old. Her reason: "I know you really wanted it but would never buy it for yourself."

16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

No not your post, the person joking about forclosure.

17. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

"
    This is where I think they lost me permanently. Might have been Episode 2. Never saw Episode 3

18. mbrennem

mbrennem Active Member

I'm trying to avoid the hype so I can be surprised. I saw the very early teaser trailer but haven't seen any of the recent trailers, TV ads, etc. So far so good. With the Phantom Menace I pretty much knew everything before the film came out and that didn't work out so well. Of course that movie wasn't very good regardless of how much I knew about it!

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I am really sick of it. And none of the promos I have seen promise anything new. They won't be getting my money.

Huck Caton likes this.
  20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

After I see the movie, and if, it lives up to expectations, then, I will welcome all of the remiders of the (hpefully) fine film that I have just seen ... But yes, at almost every turn of the aisle in the Supermarket.... Star Wars !! NFL Halftimes, etc...

wayneklein likes this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I'm in my fifth decade, and have never seen a Star Wars film. There has been so much on this new one, it makes me less inclined to catch up.

Huck Caton and audiomixer like this.
  23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I loved Star Wars since I was a kid.Like other things I enjoy it in small doses.I don`t know anything about this new movie and I don`t want to.I`m just going to go see it and be surprised for better or worse.

24. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

This thread reminds me of this...

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I suspect without marketing, the movie would make $1 billion dollars. But with marketing, it could do $2 billion dollars. If you were Disney, what would you do?

I try to have an open mind, and I'll see it if I get an industry screening or when the crowds die down (which ever comes first). I'd go just for the technical aspects -- the effects, the cinematography, the mix, the color, the editing. The story and all that stuff... I dunno. I'm a little been there/done that.

Robin L, audiomixer and wayneklein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.