Too small for a listening room?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hogues, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6mx60tcs5irtiv/Listening%20Room.png?dl=

I'm thinking about creating an actual listening room but I'm worried that the only room that I have available is small. I've posted the drop box link to a crappy sketch of the room that I made because I had trouble inserting a picture. my plan is a desk along the 6.5 foot wall with two tower speakers on either side. the two marks along the five foot wall are doors, one to a closet and one to the hallway. I'm thinking of putting a rack in front of the unused closet door. I know that I'm probably leaving a ton out but id appreciate any thoughts. thanks!

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Would it be possible to post of pic of your sketch here? I think you may get more responses that way.

3. Hogues

[​IMG]

I keep trying but all I get is the above. I insert the drop box link in the photo section but it doesn't seem to work. since everyone else is able to post photos, I'm 100% I'm doing something wrong.

4. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

Here ya go....
    [​IMG]

5. Hogues

Thanks! although now that its up there my awful drawing/penmanship is on full display.

Jaap74, Kristofa, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  6. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Consider yourself lucky! I only have a listening "nook" in the living room.

The Pinhead and scobb like this.
  7. Hogues

Believe me, I do! I just want to find out if its worth the money to set up a listening room. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for poor results.

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Set up something simple first and see what the result is. I think it could work:)

The Pinhead, forthlin and 33na3rd like this.
  9. mrvco

mrvco Member

You could always start with a nearfield desktop system.

The Pinhead, The FRiNgE and Tim S like this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

You'll be listening nearfield in that room so you'll need speakers that work nearfield. If your tower speakers can do nearfield then it should be ok. I'd recommend a good pair of monitors on stands though.

forthlin, SandAndGlass, mds and 7 others like this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Small rooms can be made to work if the components are carefully chosen, you spend some time finetuning speaker/chair positioning, and add some room treatments. My own room is only slightly larger - 8 x 12 - and it sounds quite good in there.

12. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I am by no means an expert. However, over the years myself and friends of mine have made a myriad of different type of rooms 'work'. My guess is that you can make yours work with some patience and the right components.

pscreed, The Pinhead and Hogues like this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My room is wider, but the listening position for me is about 6-7 ft from the speakers and there's no chunk blocking out one corner, so in some ways it's quite similar. I have large windows to the right, no room treatments (not interested in them in the slightest - my home isn't there to accommodate my stereo, rather it's the other way around and it sound excellent in any case) and the whole setup works well. Quite doable indeed.

14. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Bass is going to be a problem, so I would consider not going too deep and living with it, or putting bass traps in most corners at least. Also since the room is asymmetrical I would make sure my listening position was set up so the speakers would be symmetrical to boundary walls if possible. Phase is an important aspect of speaker positioning and different boundary distances will affect phase. At least that's my limited understanding

The FRiNgE and Hogues like this.
  15. Hogues

Thank you for all of the responses! Sounds like it's worth a try.

Thanks. I'm not sure that I can so speakers that are symmetrical to the boundary walls but I'll take a look. I would like to try to use bass traps and other acoustic treatments.

Thanks. I was thinking about Salks or Philharmonic monitors if I go that rout. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, though maybe I should just start an equipment thread.

16. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I've been banished to a spare bedroom in our old house for some time, it's only 10x11. Nearfield listening can forgive a multitude of sins, and per suggestions already made I would look into monitors on stands.

I have also really enjoyed building a nice headphone rig in my room.

Anyway I'd definitely say go for it! There's nothing like having a dedicated listening space.

Good luck and keep us posted.

forthlin and Hogues like this.
  17. Hogues

Thanks, I'm excited to get it going. Now the hard part begins.

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Fine room, get a nice pair of monitors and a small sub, keep it simple snd you will be rewarded.

19. I've been in mastering suites smaller than that so yes, it can definitely be done - good luck :)

forthlin and Hogues like this.
  20. Hogues

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about trying this out.

I really have to do some research about the difference between bookshelf and monitors and then start really looking at brands/models. Right now, I'm a little lost.

21. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Will you be sitting at this desk when listening? Is there space either side of the desk?

What you need is enough flexibility to move the speakers around to get the best sound from them; i.e. not just stick them in a corner.

It seems to me suitable speakers would be relatively small with not very deep bass - nearfield listening as has been mentioned. That means that they will integrate (the drivers will act as one) at the distance your ears are. Distance from speakers to ears is therefore a key measurement here and you should mention this when checking speakers out.

They could sit on the desk (on suitable pads), on narrow speaker stands sitting on the floor, or on wall mountings. The gear itself could sit on shelves on the desk wall, or maybe side wall.

If compromises of positioning and perhaps lack of room treatment have to be made you might consider some sort of Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to get nearer to a good sound.

22. Mike 33

Mike 33 Active Member

Had to do a metric conversion since I was educated in Europe :)

My advice is don't even bother. Way too small to get audiophile results if that is what you're after.

23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

And being lost is half the battle:) hmm GI JOE?

Hogues likes this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Don't forget to post pics of your new listening room.

25. Hogues

I will, but it's going to be a while. Lots to de before then.

Manimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.