Took a risk on a GEMA Sticky Fingers - Wish Me Luck

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PJJK, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident Thread Starter

$20 shipped - hopefully it pays off!

[​IMG]

2. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Looks slightly rough.

3. PJJK

I did some brightness adjustments and it looks like some clicks and pops. It didn't look like anything too deep.
    I'll let you know!

4. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Looks like T.M.L. written into the deadwax. If it is, you have a good one :):)

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well, I hope that appearance is due to the lighting. Otherwise, I think noyoucmon is correct and you are likely to have worse issues than a few clicks and pops.

PJJK likes this.
  6. PJJK

I hope so too. Seller has 100% feedback and all previous VG+ records received 5 star ratings from sellers. I figure for $20 its worth the gamble on this one.

7. PJJK

Thanks for the info! If this one doesn't pan out I'll still be hunting for my keeper. I wish they would do a Sticky Fingers like the Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet UK imports I have.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Good luck. Of course, even if it really does look like that it may play just fine. Ya never know.

PJJK likes this.
  9. James_S888

That T.M.L. A3/B3 is apparently the real first cut.
    I've seen the text from an Email from Doug Sax which goes something like "Glyn Johns brought the tapes around to cut the European releases. They'd just got through mixing the record at Sunset sound".
    That is the TML A3/B3 cut. There is no A1/B1 and the A2/B2 is a later cut.

Beggars Banquet, you have to speed up the turntable 2% to get the speed right. Transforms the record :)

10. PJJK

Did they slow the speed for the DSD Beggars Banquet release?

Also - I'm hoping you're right about the original cut. Wicked.

11. James_S888

the DSD Beggars Banquet release is the correct speed.
    Once you speed up the UK original though, it's no contest. The Decca is better in every way.
    The MoFi from the 1984 box set is also very good, also slow, so you have to speed it up. The MoFi sounds like more of a transfer from the tapes, it doesn't have the top end boost the Decca has. It's actually more natural sounding.

I know I'm right about the original cut. Doug Sax, the guy who mastered it confirmed it.
    Fremer was mightily pissed off when he found out he'd been listening to a 2nd or 3rd gen. copy of the tapes all these years. His was a US first press, from some east coast plant.
    See Fremers "Around and Around, the music of the rolling stones" seried article. He says in that "Sticky Fingers is a good, though not great sounding record". Problem was, he'd been playing a copy. SF is a great sounding record :)

I've got most pressings by the way, US, Japan, UK, German, French, MoFi.... That German A3/B3 is the best to me.

12. PJJK

SF Is one of my favorites. If I was to drop $200 could I get an original Deccan? Do you have any info on dead wax for something like that? I may just go for it. Maybe I should try to find a better copy of this German copy.

13. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I keep missing this record when it comes in used at my local stores, twice now by just a few hours. I just want a nice zipper copy. Should probably look into deadwax info!

14. James_S888

There is no original Decca for SF. It was Rolling Stones Records. They had left Decca by that point.
    The German SF is the best I've heard. I know a lot of people here like the Monarch pressed US pressing of SF. But for me, the German A3/B3 is the nicest sounding. Great mastering, dead quiet vinyl if you're lucky enough to find a good copy.
    You need to watch out, only the first European pressings used that TML mastering, the ones that came after appear to be all locally done from tape copies... No, they're not as good.

15. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

16. PJJK

Gave the GEMA a spin and its an absolute winner. It ended up being an A4 B3. I'm not quite sure what that means but it's surprisingly quite for the marks that were seen on the picture. It plays almost as if there aren't marks at all. Some light fuzz during the intro of I Got the Blues.

This pressing is one I would recommend to any listener. It represents everything I dig about vinyl - hearing new things or clearer organ or piano parts I'd never noticed before. It slays any digital copy I've listened to. I may still search for that "holy grail" SF but this is the one for some time. I'm getting rid of my beat up PR for sure.

17. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I own the A3/B3 original German pressing and it's a real winner! Up there with a 1st press UK or US Monarch-1841 Broadway IMO. Mine also plays quieter than the other two, but it's in slightly better shape at EX-NM.

PJJK likes this.
  18. PJJK

I'll continue to hunt for my keeper but this one should hold me over. Love Sticky Fingers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.