Tool-vinyl Vs CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steveinca, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveinca

steveinca New Member Thread Starter

Curious if anyone can tell me what the quality of "Tools" vinyl are like. A lot better than the CD's?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  2. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

I've never actually done a true a/b comparison against any of the cds, but here's my two cents:

All I can tell you from my own experience is that the vinyl first editions of Opiate ('96) and Undertow ('96) sound absolutely incredible to me. I prefer to listen to these titles on vinyl rather than cd. Again, I've never done a proper a/b comparison, but I've listened to the cds hundreds of times, and I don't find anything lacking on these vinyl cuts. My copies have dead-quiet surfaces and the SQ is excellent. I believe with some patience you can still score originals on ebay and discogs for $40-$50 or better. Can't really speak to the later pressings.

I have an original Aenima ('96) as well. My copy's surface is a bit noisy unfortunately, but the sound quality itself is great. I would play my vinyl copy over the cd if it were a bit quieter. Prepare to pay hundreds for this title on vinyl.

I have two copies of Lateralus and both sound like garbage. Many other fans have similar complaints. The surface is noisy AND the sound is dull. It could have something to do with the fact that they're picture discs. They look awesome but don't sound so hot. What a shame. Definintely stick with the cd on this one.

By the way, it's been recently all but confirmed that the whole Tool catalog is being properly reissued on vinyl. This is good news, especially for those looking to snag an official copy of Aenima. It also means a long-overdue vinyl edition of 10,000 Days and hopefully a proper vinyl treatment of Lateralus.

3. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I'll throw in my two cents here, the Lateralus Cd is an HDCD, if you have a cd player that can play at that level, the amount of detail in it is incredible and overall, it sounds great. Especially considering it can be bought new for about $15 NZ. I have the US pressing of this. I have the original Lp and have also heard the recut CB version, which does offer somewhat of an improvement over the original (the one I listened to had zero noise from the picture disc aspect) but honestly, I didn't think the whole sound of it was that much better. In my opinion, the Cd trumps both of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.