Top 10 Movies Not Yet On Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Replying to self: Arrow films is releasing this on blu in April :pineapple:

His Girl Friday.

2. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

After Hours
    Song Of The South
    Mighty Aphrodite
    (Region A)
    Mulholland Drive (Region A)
    The Commitments
    Show Boat
    The Philadelphia Story
    Gunga Din
    Suspicion
    His Girl Friday

lbangs and benjaminhuf like this.
  3. Don't underestimate the power of the Force.;)

Time Is On My Side and erniebert like this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Two instant buys from me if it ever happens along with hoping criterion finally releases sabotage and fallen idol

lbangs likes this.
  5. Any Albert Brooks film

lbangs likes this.
  6. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Get Crazy. Not even a DVD release! :(

7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just re-watched "Day of the Jackal" on DVD the other night. To my horror, it wan't even anamorphic, so I was stuck with this rectangular image in the middle of my TV. I hate "stretching" the video, so I left it as is. Still a great flick, but desperately needs a blu-ray upgrade

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not even on USA region 1 DVD yet let alone blu ray:

Jerry Lewis Visit To A Small Planet. A hilarious JL flick that blows my mind that it's been ignored. I do have a non region 1 DVD but it looks like crap. IMO a far better flick than Nutty Professor and should receive as good or better attention.

Peter Cushing in Island Of Terror, Night Of The Big Heat, House Of Long Shadows, and Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors. Again I do have a non region 1 DVDs but they look like crap.

Jules Verne's From The Earth To The Moon with Joseph Cotton.

Also one of my fav cheezy robo movies Robo Warriors, only DVD out is with German only dialog. How odd is that?

9. It's listed on Blu-Ray.com, but showing no release date. At least somebody's thinking about it. Same thing for The Naked Spur. :waiting:

10. onanboy

onanboy Forum Resident

Anyone know why the 1976 Bad News Bears is not available in bluray?

11. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

Somewhere on the web there is an article where director Alan Arkush talks about the fate of this film, apparently the independent producers went bankrupt and he doesn't even know where the negative, or any other good elements, are located or exist (and he's made inquiries). He also thinks the original sound elements have been lost. A few prints do exist and are screened from time to time. I remember seeing this when it was first released; I hope I get a chance to see it again in a quality presentation someday. At of this writing the whole movie is on YouTube so it can be seen in compromised form.

On topic, I am trying to think of a few of my favorites that are also reasonably prominent films, so here we have:

Blowup (great film and a substantial hit for MGM and Antonioni)
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney's first live action feature, a big hit and a great movie)
    All of the Val Lewton horror films from RKO (Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, etc.)
    Hud (acclaimed film, 3 Academy Awards)
    Bringing up Baby (very influential screwball comedy)
    Petulia (notable 60s film, director Richard Lester, photographed by Nicolas Roeg)
    The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse (the only of Lang's Mabuse films not on BD)
    A Matter of Life and Death (one of Powell and Pressburger's amazing 1940s films)
    Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (really the only Russ Meyer film that's any good at all)

12. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Nevada Smith

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

14. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I would love to see Undercover Brother on blu-ray.

15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Yes I would like to see those as well. They have the Harmy Despecialized versions, but I'm not 100% sure about the legality of acquiring them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.