Top Ten War Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I just went through the entire thread to see if this film had been mentioned:

[​IMG]

An American soldier is parachuted into France to kill a suspected collaborator. But the suspected traitor seems so nice and lovable! Will the GI be able to go ahead with his mission?

This film is very, very close to a masterpiece. It could use some cutting, and Canadian actor Paul Massie is only adequate in the lead. But it has a brilliant performance by Irene Worth (an American who made her career on the London stage) as Massie's French contact.

OTK is by far the most cinematic Anthony Asquith film I've ever seen (he devoted most of his career to filming the collected plays of Terence Rattigan). There is an especially effective montage sequence. The chilling details are perhaps due to it being based on a story by Donald C. Downes, a former OSS agent.

It's not easy to see -- I don't believe it's been shown on US TV in decades. I only found it after an internet search (all I'll say about that).

2. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident

What about the biggest hero of WWI
    "Sergeant York"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.