Tori Amos: Under the Pink Re-issue LP 15/07/13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by otherdimension, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I'm aware of that (I worked in studios back then), but it was still common to mix to analog.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Great idea! Why not do a deluxe version of this?

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree even if 3-sides & as mentioned maybe do side #4 as some of those amazing B-sides

4. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Tori Amos "Under the Pink" Review. Music On Vinyl (Black Pressing) - 2013 Re-issue (MOVLP830). Dead silent surfaces, nice dynamics, well packaged, completely flat, rice paper sleeve. No insert, I assume that the cover is a direct reproduction of the original album (lyrics on the back). This is an excellent pressing of a great album. Sounds very warm, worth buying. (BTW: It looks as if this is already sold out at MOV).

otherdimension and Davidmk5 like this.
  5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks for the review!!!

by the way, 1st US press (the black is more rare than the pink, because black come first in less quantities)

anyone can compare the new MOV vs 1st press?

one BIG question of MOV of vinyl releases: BLACK vs COLOR? both sounds exactly the same??? or the color affect the sound (I know that some old color vinyl sounds very noise and bad compared with the standard black, but is the case on this days and the case of MOV) ?????????

6. cement_head

I've ordered the Pink one from Elusive Disc - If it sounds as good as the black, I'll sell the Black one.

I also pre-ordered "Little Earthquakes" from Elusive Disc (they don't charge until they ship) - I'm pretty sure LE will sell out ASAP.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh thanks, please let me know about the comparison on color vs black, I dont know if the case of MOV have the same sound...
    I like colors on vinyl but! if affect the sound of course I prefer the normal standard black (also are more cheap) I dont care about collecting, I just care SOUND quality!

I have an old "gold" color vinyl of Ian dury and the blockheads, and sounds very noise compared with the normal black...

its seem that people really love color on vinyl:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Bowie...00527573108?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5d414dc074 $250 and still one day for auction ends :eek: and maybe the pure black $25 sounds better...

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed, I'm pretty happy with my original UTP. I need a reissue of Little Earthquakes, and her output from '99 to 2005 that never had a vinyl release would also be really nice.

9. cement_head

I also have a copy (on clear blue vinyl) of Boys for Pele. I've always thought the first three records she did were her strongest. But, if they do a vinyl version of Scarlets Walk, I'll probably pick that up.

Hep Alien, walrus and Davidmk5 like this.
  10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review !!

11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

For anyone interested, Juno.co.uk have the pink vinyl version listed as in stock.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/495524-01.htm

Their shipping to the US can by iffy, but I think I finally got through to them that if they are shipping LPs from the UK to the US, they need some sturdier packaging within -- my LP arrived in perfect condition.

12. cement_head

I just bought this is pink from them two days ago. You are correct, the pink is fully sold out in North America.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

buy the black! maybe sounds better than the colored...

14. cement_head

How long did it take to arrive?

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is the first MOV release where it is tricky to find the limited version in a shop. Could have to do with the fact that their limited colour discs normally are released first and only if they're sold out a black version follows. In the case of "Under The Pink" MOV seem to have greater expectations because the 1000 numbered copies are randomly inserted into the run. So... I went to five shops... all had the black one. But then finally... in the sixth one: One single copy on pink vinyl, identified by the golden sticker on the front.

16. cement_head

Score! How does it sound?

17. Neonbeam

Like Kate Bush;) But seriously, it sounds excellent, almost dead quiet throughout even in the more delicate piano bits. At the start of Side One there is a little bit of (light) surface noise for like 10-15 seconds but I figure this is pretty normal. I'd be surprised if the black vinyl sounded better because frankly I wouldn't change a thing about this version. All in all a quality product but I have other coloured MOV releases and knew that they know how to do it.

So... anyone having the chance to get the limited pink vinyl shouldn't think twice. If you get your coloured album please report back how it compares to the black edition. Nothing like a second opinion;)

18. cement_head

Awesome, I had the black & returned and am waiting for the pink one from JUNO.uk.co

19. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member Thread Starter

Shouldn't the black and Pink (MOV) vinyl sound exactly the same?

20. Neonbeam

Ideally yes! But not necessarily;)

21. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

So no issues with the length on one LP? I just don't see how it couldn't be a bit compromised. I have the pink one on order and LE pre-ordered. But 50-some minutes and quiet music, SN just has to be part of it!

SoundstageDirect is still listing the pink version although the price has gone up $10 to $39.99.

22. cement_head

Well, "One Hot Minute" from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is on a single LP and the tracks are "tight". It was pressed on red vinyl at PALLAS, and considered as probably the best vinyl pressing of the peppers; although I have the Steve Hoffman re-mastered "Stadium Arcadium" box set and it's beyond belief, so if OHM is better...

It's also $50.

23. Neonbeam

Uh... today I came across another pink copy and since it had a number below 80 I found myself buying it. No idea what I'm going to do with two copies but I'm sure it'll make a nice birthday-, x-mas-present later this year...

24. cement_head

Interested in selling the higher numbered one?

25. Neonbeam

Why? It's still available, isn't it??? JPC still has pink copies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.