Tori Amos: Under the Pink Re-issue LP 15/07/13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by otherdimension, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I've got friend who would likely take your extra copy off your hands...think about it...

2. cement_head

Ok...so the Pink vinyl FINALLY arrived from the UK (JUNO). It actually sounds better than the black vinyl. On my copy, there's a slight tick on Cloud on my Tongue, but is sounds as if it will go away with some more plays (I didn't pre-clean this disc, and I usually do. I've also noticed that new records often quiet down with a few plays; the mould release powder is to blame?). Anyway, very impressed with MOV treatment. Two thumbs up!

3. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Thanks, that's good to hear! Looking forward to receiving my copy. BTW, SoundstageDirect has the pink copy only and tells me the black is sold out.

Which one came out first (on MoV)? Seems the pink would've sold out first but maybe people bought the cheaper black version instead?

4. cement_head

Usually you are correct. The pink was all pressed first (and numbered) but it was mixed randomly into the shipping boxes and shipped out (apparently).

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The black might be sold out at Soundstage direct but there is no way that the whole edition is gone. As I said, over here 90% of the shops only got the black. I'd like to know how many they pressed... 1000 are pink but... how many black ones? 2000? 3000?

6. Randy S

Well, they did tell me the manufacturer (MOV) told them no more black copies are available from them.

7. cement_head

Probably 5000 at most. But everywhere I've been, on the web and in person, it's sold out. I think they vastly underestimated the demand. Which is very good news, as they are doing "Little Earthquakes". I hope they do "From the Choir Girl Hotel".

8. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

It's probably true that it's sold out. It's no longer listed on the MOV website... I'm waiting for mine to show up. I should be getting the pink one but I'll know for sure when it gets here.

9. Randy S

SoundstageDirect was kind enough to give me the pink one for the same price ($10 cheaper) as the black one since they ran out of stock after I ordered. Top place to buy new records online, I've had nothing but great service from them.

10. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I played my pink vinyl copy tonight - it isn't the quietest vinyl I've bought recently!
    I will give it another clean but plenty of clicks and pops - a bit like my copy of Kate Bush - HoL on AF :-(
    Maybe pick up a black version if I see one.

11. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I have had a closer look and there's pressing problem on the final track side 2 - a small black stain - hard to see it but there's an audible thud and a few pops when its played through.
    Anyone else have this issue??

12. cement_head

Nope, sometimes a black spec of vinyl will come through on a coloured wax press. I have a small black spec in my Yellow Joan Jett reissue, but no sound issues.

13. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

The whole edition is out of print black & pink versions

14. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

So I got the pink copy from Juno (UK). It's very quiet which is good especially for songs like Bells For Her or even Pretty Good Year which are very quiet recordings. The only thing I noticed is some weird glitch on The Wrong Band, I don't know if it's a switch in the stereo image or what but Tori's voice is at the center of the stereo image and suddenly it sounds like someone turned on some kind of "stereo spread" effect thingy (sorry for rather rubbish description) It happens during the second verse of the song. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Richard.

15. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Warner is releasing Little Earthquakes, not MOV.

16. cement_head

Yep, you're correct - so there should be A LOT more available.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If the black is limited why difficult to find compared to pink? Diverse vinyl had the pink (but not adv as such). Sent mine back as it was well too noisy especially side 2. Ordered the black from Amazon and a pink copy arrived. Side 2 is acceptable with a few pops but yet to play side 1. Fortunately Warner doing Earthquakes on black vinyl so should be much better. Which begs the question why licence Pink out to MOV. I'm still convinced their digital mastering / DMM cutting system looses something compared to other plants using digital files as source and that includes GZ.

The grooves are more tightly cut on this MOV reissue than the original as they have left a wider dead wax. Not good practice with the length of this album and consequently cut at a rather low level making quiet surfaces even more important. Also have got MOV 'Beauty Of Wynona' which also needs extra volume. In this case the pressing is virtually flawless.

18. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

I have not yet been able to get a copy of this Under The Pink reissue, and I have been disappointed. My local store dropped the ball on the order, and I figured I'd just get one eventually on eBay or discogs when the price comes down from the "just reissued but already OOP" high.

Your post has changed my mind - I'll look for an original pressing knowing that the higher price is worthwhile. :)

19. cement_head

My pink copy is very quiet, only one slight tick that is almost completely disappeared after a cleaning through my SpinClean. I don't think the coloured wax has anything to do with the sound. You might have just got a bum copy. BYW: There's 16 available on eBAY/JUNO here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMOS-Tori-U...00525923638?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5d41349536

20. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Not sure if this is OOP yet. I just ordered from Amazon UK for 15 Pounds - 18 including international shipping. Not a bad deal. This was for the black version.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You might find it turns out to be the pink version. They only list black but I got pink. At least it is a better copy than the previous one I bought.

mogambotek likes this.
  22. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I received the pink version, #157. Flat, sounds great, except that the black flecks on mine are RAISED. I can hear every single one of them except for a few that are deep into the vinyl. I saw that they were raised chunks, but I played it anyway. I hope that I did not do any harm to my stylus. Unfortunately, this one is going back. What a shame!

23. mogambotek

Yup just got mine and it was the pink one! Will spin it now and post my feedback

24. mogambotek

Great, the vinyl is warped badly and crackles terribly :( I think I can hear some music under the noise.. very disappointing.

Dunno what to do to get a replacement, but I am not paying to ship this back.

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

There are still some out there at retailers, at least in pink. I ordered one this week from Elusive Disc. Soundstage Direct also has them in stock, albeit at a $10 premium.

Hope my experience is better than mogambotek's, though! Color me concerned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.