Tori Amos: Under the Pink Re-issue LP 15/07/13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by otherdimension, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Still got two copies and just checked them: Both are totally and completely pink, no black spots.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suspect that the licence for this release may have been withdrawn before many black copies were produced. I wanted Black as MOV vinyl is normally quiet and I have a pink USA copy. Looks like a really quiet copy is going to be elusive due to poor vinyl formulation. Anyway another copy to keep as a collectable.

3. Neonbeam

Your theory sounds right. The question is: How many black copies DID they produce? At the moment - in Europe at least - both MOV versions can be easily found for regular price so... I'm wondering if it makes sense to pick up a black vinyl copy? But then again... I'm perfectly happy with my pink one.

4. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Amazon mailed me a replacement copy for my terribly noisy and warped pink vinyl. The replacement copy is the black version (which incidentally was my original order, received the pink one instead). Happy to say the black version is quiet and flat and sounds great! At least I didn't get another Pink coloured one, now I can have the black for listening and the pink as a cool, yet unplayable keepsake.

Edit: Noticed that my pink one was covered with tiny black spots too, which could be what was causing the noise. Not very good QC on the part of MOV.

5. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone done any comparsions from the orginal pink or black US pressings?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  6. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I now have a replacement pink version - no black bits thankfully but still a good few pops and clicks :-(

7. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have a US pink Atlantic - cost me all of £10 in London a good few years back and it's dead silent, along with a US double of Boys for Pele on clear vinyl and a German original of My Little Earthquakes, all of which sound pretty fine to me so I'm assuming there's not point in getting these re-issues?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

If you are not a Tori and/ or MOV completist: No;)

JP Christian likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Me too! Still sealed (I play my black one) :)

Scope J likes this.
  10. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

The reissue sounds 3D compared to the original vinyl--digital, dead, and dull. If you love this album and care about sound quality, pony up the extra cash to get an original pressing.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I was never able to find a copy on vinyl, I bought the pink MOV reissue/repress - to me it sounds really good & much better than the CD. Never heard an original.

12. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  13. marcfeld69

I see it’s a half-speed 180g master and as someone mentioned, rarer than the pink version*. All the more reason to acquire (?)?

*Discogs lists the US Atlantic as having a black and pink version, but there is no pink version of this until the re-issue on the site. Did someone get confused?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  14. marcfeld69

Apologies to anyone reading my above posts. I now realise I have the 2015 half-speed master, so not rare at all, plus it seems to have had a rather mixed reception soundwise. I'll let you all know what I think...correction:

Tori Amos - Under The Pink

15. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

No, both the original AND the reissue came in both black and/or pink.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. marcfeld69

Sure. I just meant that as far as I can see, no one has listed a pink original on Discogs specifically, but good to know. (Maybe it's on one of those hard-to-find pages.)

17. Classicrock

Under The Pink was issued in UK on black vinyl. Also available was a US import on pink vinyl. Reissues - MOV produced both a pink and black 180 gram reissue. Both have the mastering error with drop in sound level in one channel. Warner soon after reissued on black vinyl only (half speed) as far as I know. This also has the volume loss but not so prominent from my comparisons. Sold both the MOV versions which are the worst pressed and sounding of them all. I suggest original UK or US pink vinyl as the only versions worth having.

JP Christian and marcfeld69 like this.
  18. marcfeld69

Excellent!

19. marcfeld69

Any thoughts on the half-speed master itself? I'm about to play it for the first time, so I'll get back. (I think there is a dedicated thread where it was panned, now I think about it.)

20. Classicrock

Judge for yourself. Would be OK but for the mastering problem which is on the files used. At least it is better than the MOV copies I had.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

How long does this drop go on for, and which track?

22. Classicrock

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

24. marcfeld69

Well, I just listened and I can't hear any drop or shift. Has no effect on my enjoyment. Either my ears or my system. The vinyl is not totally quiet; that would be my only reservation. I'll listen out for it again in a while.

On the plus side, the 180g disc is nice and solid and level and the sleeve is very thick and substantial!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  25. marcfeld69

I just noticed that you said on that thread that you 'couldn't hear any problem' on those tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.