Tori Amos: Under the Pink Re-issue LP 15/07/13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by otherdimension, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I didn't notice it at first on the MOV probably due to pressing issues. When I got the Warner I compared all my copies and it was obvious. It's not so obvious with the half speed as the MOV but you need to compare with an original. If you have no basis for comparison you might miss it. A lot of people got hot under the collar about this and a revision of the download and CD was promised by the label. Don't think they corrected the vinyl but it is possible there has been a second pressing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I only have the original CD to compare (?), but as things stand it doesn't put me off recommending the half-speed LP. I accept that you say it's obvious to you so I'm curious about one day getting the original. I did notice the soundstage more on the second side.

3. Classicrock

You should be able to tell from the original CD. Your comment about soundstage is a clue to what's wrong end of side 1.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. marcfeld69

This is mind-boggling to me – ears and audio set-up differences notwithstanding. I cranked the TT up to match the CD several times (and a LOT louder than I normally listen) and there is no way I can hear any difference as far as soundstage goes on this 180g. I concentrated on around 00:36 to 00:50 on 'The Wrong Band'. I'm astonished anyone can hear a difference. What gives? But of course I don't have the original to compare, just the CD, If anyone wants to make a file that I could play back through my computer and through my SACD which has a built-in DAC...

5. marcfeld69

Now I *think* we are getting somewhere. I went back and listened to the YouTube link where someone posted the glitch. Now, this is as obvious as it gets. But it's not on my east west 7567-82567-2 CD and it's definitely not on my Abbey Road half-speed 180g, either. There's no difference. Is it possible that they repressed without the glitch?

I posted here as well (#152, 153): Tori Amos vinyl reissues, Little Earthquakes/Under The Pink

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  6. marcfeld69

I have to apologise. It IS there, but until I put my headphones on I just couldn't hear it. And what do you know, once I took my headphones off, I could hear the glitch. Whaddaya know...

[I almost never ever listen to records on my headphones. This has been an interesting experience.]

7. Classicrock

It isn't so obvious as on the MOV pressings and of course I was looking for it. Somehow Miles Showell didn't notice it when he cut from the faulty files or was told to ignore it. Or maybe he tried to correct it.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. marcfeld69

Right. It's going to be interesting to see if I notice from now on...I can imagine that if it is more noticeable on a MOV disc, that could be annoying.

9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

From the youtube clip posted earlier, I hear it clear as day in headphones - the vocal sounds like it 'shifts' to the right and the left channel sounds 'wrong' from then on so I suspect for whatever reason it goes out of phase...? It's possible that it could be or could have been fixed but what a clunker in the first place...!

I'll stick with my original US & UK CDs and original pink vinyl Atlantic LP thanks very much!

cement_head and marcfeld69 like this.
  10. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

The original CD doesn't have the issue, the digital download from the reissue does have the issue, the vinyl reissue (MOV) wasn't as prominent for me and doesn't really bother me. Someone with analytical software/gear wrote (somewhere in this forum) that they thought that it was not a drop in sound level, but rather a switch in polarity and a left to centre channel switch - whatever that means.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. marcfeld69

And it has to be said that on the halfspeed remaster it's really hard to notice (unless you've read this thread!).

cement_head likes this.
  12. Classicrock

.....or compare it to an original pressing.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. marcfeld69

Did anyone say how the US 1st black compared with the US pink black?

14. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

just fyi rhino is still replacing the cds for this error. i held off buying the 2cd set for a couple years assuming it would be a pain to get a replacement. it wasn’t at all.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. Classicrock

As far as I know the original black vinyl was pressed in Germany and US vinyl was pink only. I prefer the US pressing marginally.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. marcfeld69

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.