Toronto DVD and BD Retailers

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by stepeanut, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off Thread Starter

I'll be visiting Toronto again soon. It'll be four years since my last visit.

Any recommendations for DVD and BD retailers in the downtown, GTA, or Mississauga areas? These could also sell records and CDs, but music isn't my main priority on this occasion. I'm looking for retailers with good stocks of Criterion and other niche titles.

Thanks!

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Unfortunately, in the four years that you've been away quite a few DVD and BR stores closed.

The Beat Goes On might be worth a look. I went there looking mostly for lps but found they sell mostly cds, dvd, BR. I can't say I noticed any niche or Criterion titles but I wasn't really looking for them either.

I went to the one in Oakville but they have a few locations: The Beat Goes On - Store Finder but none in Toronto or Mississauga.

Bay Street Video is still kicking around Bay Street Video - Toronto's Largest DVD Collection

Sonic Boom on Spadina carries used dvd and BR. Pretty good selection IIRC.

Queen Video which used to be on Queen closed but their location in The Annex on Bloor St is still open.

Eyesore Cinema is still around as well.

Not sure about Mississauga, but on the weekends there's a flea market in the basement of Dixie Mall. Don at the back sells mostly cds and lps but he has a a lot of dvds and BR of all sorts. He's worth visiting. Great selection of cds including many box sets. Probably the best place to get Bear Family sets anywhere in the GTA IMO.

That's just off the top of my head.

Adam9 and stepeanut like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just to make sure you are aware -
    Barnes and Noble has a sale on Criterion DVDs and BluRays !
    It was just extended to Aug 15, 2017!

(However, I'm not certain of your shipping costs ...)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. stepeanut

Yes, I'm aware. Thanks anyway.

I tend to prefer WowHD for U.S. imports, although their prices have gone through the roof recently.

I'm more looking for brick-and-mortar stores in the Toronto area.

lightbulb likes this.
  5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's where I buy the majority of my physical media... CDs, DVDs, BR, video games.... and their online inventory system is very handy.
    I was just there today to take advantage of their anniversary sale... 40% off everything.... came home with a big pile of goodies! ;)

stepeanut likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

40% is a nice discount. How long is the sale on for?

BTW, aren't they in the process of preparing for another move?

Have you ever sold cds to them? I have a small pile growing and I'm not sure who to go to these days.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The sale is just this weekend.... today is the last day.

If they're going to be moving soon, it's news to me. What have you heard?

I've sold CDs and DVDs to them plenty of times. As with most places these days, you don't get much for your used discs (unless it's something really rare or OOP), but they offer something like 30% more if you choose store credit instead of cash. Since I buy so much stuff from them anyway, I always just use the credit. ;)

eddiel likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Oops mixed up the name with something else :)

Which locations have you been too? I've only been to the one in Oakville. We were shopping at PCV Records and realised The Beat Goes On was just around the corner.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Oakville store is the only (existing) one I've been to, as well. There used to be one in Ajax that I went to for a while, but it closed about a decade ago.

eddiel likes this.
  10. stepeanut

Visited Bay Street Video this afternoon. Great selection, but prices are not always competitive, e.g. most Criterions work out at around £27 after tax, so it's actually cheaper to import them to the U.K. via WowHD.

Anyway, I picked up a couple of titles from my wants list:

[​IMG]

eddiel likes this.
  11. stepeanut

I know I said I wasn't looking for vinyl on this trip, but I couldn't resist picking up this rare Brazilian mono LP of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits for CAD $45 plus tax, which equates to approximately GBP £30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

@stepeanut Which store did you find the Dylan at? Just curious. :)

13. stepeanut

Ric's Recollections in Port Credit, ON. Nice little store, nice guy who runs it. He had a few interesting Dylan bits, but this was the only thing I couldn't walk away from.

Corvigo2004 likes this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Cool you made it out there. I've been buying from Ric since the late 80's. Ric and his wife are super nice. I don't get a chance to visit as much as I'd like. You've been more often than I have in the past year and you live in a different country! :)

He has a nice selection.

stepeanut likes this.
  15. Corvigo2004

Corvigo2004 Active Member

Outstanding resource for previously owned vinyl. Highly recommended.
    Happy Listening,
    MKoM, Toronto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.