Toronto DVD and BD Retailers

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by stepeanut, Aug 7, 2017.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be visiting Toronto again soon. It'll be four years since my last visit.

Any recommendations for DVD and BD retailers in the downtown, GTA, or Mississauga areas? These could also sell records and CDs, but music isn't my main priority on this occasion. I'm looking for retailers with good stocks of Criterion and other niche titles.

Thanks!

2. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

Unfortunately, in the four years that you've been away quite a few DVD and BR stores closed.

The Beat Goes On might be worth a look. I went there looking mostly for lps but found they sell mostly cds, dvd, BR. I can't say I noticed any niche or Criterion titles but I wasn't really looking for them either.

I went to the one in Oakville but they have a few locations: The Beat Goes On - Store Finder but none in Toronto or Mississauga.

Bay Street Video is still kicking around Bay Street Video - Toronto's Largest DVD Collection

Sonic Boom on Spadina carries used dvd and BR. Pretty good selection IIRC.

Queen Video which used to be on Queen closed but their location in The Annex on Bloor St is still open.

Eyesore Cinema is still around as well.

Not sure about Mississauga, but on the weekends there's a flea market in the basement of Dixie Mall. Don at the back sells mostly cds and lps but he has a a lot of dvds and BR of all sorts. He's worth visiting. Great selection of cds including many box sets. Probably the best place to get Bear Family sets anywhere in the GTA IMO.

That's just off the top of my head.

stepeanut likes this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Forum Resident

Just to make sure you are aware -
    Barnes and Noble has a sale on Criterion DVDs and BluRays !
    It was just extended to Aug 15, 2017!

(However, I'm not certain of your shipping costs ...)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I'm aware. Thanks anyway.

I tend to prefer WowHD for U.S. imports, although their prices have gone through the roof recently.

I'm more looking for brick-and-mortar stores in the Toronto area.

lightbulb likes this.