Toshiba SD3950 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mrstats, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone heard about these for playing CDs? My friend bought one and claims it beats all his high end stuff for CD playback. He bought it on sale for $60. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mr. Stats

2. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I listened to one. It sounded real nice. Go to Audio Asylum. The digital section has been discussing this player for weeks. I did not really need another player, so I returned it. I'm waiting to here their new one, the 4950, I think. It'll have SACD/DVD-A, for less than $200.

3. Anthem

Anthem New Member

$58.95 at Sears

I found one at Sears for $58.95. So far, a very nice unit for cd play and dvd playback is also nice.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes, folks have been carrying on about the '3950 on the digital board on Audio Asylum. There's also been talk there about a '3960. Is that a replacement for the '3950? If so, is it as good as the '3950?

I believe some folks on Audio Asylum have had the '3950 modified for better performance, but the stock unit seems to be awfully good. So, how does a $60 DVD player compete with or beat "high-end" CD players? I've read these comments on Audio Asylum and don't believe it. Is it hype? What did Toshiba do that's so special?

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I have both a Tosh SD 3900 also an SD 4800 and, while they are great for movies IMHO for playing music......they STINK...period. Sorry but that's my honest opinion. Maybe the SD 3950 is different but i really doubt it.

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I had a Toshiba 4900 for awhile. Video quality was quite nice, but CD and DVD-A quality were mediocre at best. Does the 3950 have a dramatically different design?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.