Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Over the years it went from being one of my least favorites to being the Toto album I probably go back to most often. It's so overlooked.

2. walrus

Assuming (hoping?) individual LP's will come out eventually. I only really need the 90's records.

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

They will only be releasing the Columbia/Sony titles as new remastes from what I remember reading.

4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Bummed they are releasing a box set first and then the albums individually.

John Schofield likes this.
  5. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Hydra and Turn Back have some beast rockers that seem to allude the first and 4th album

White Sister - English Eyes - Gift with a Golden Gun - Hydra (OMG) - St George - The incredible A MILLION MILES AWAY - All Us Boys - Turn Back - and The solo on I think I could stand you forever

WHAT A GREAT BAND - Liked the originals except turn back that is so low on cd that even cranking it cant make it get to a decent level

noirbar, Ken.e. and Mark Wilson like this.
  6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

YES! "Hydra", "St. George..", "Gift..", "Turn Back" and "English Eyes" are among my favorite Toto tracks ever. And you're so right about "A Million Miles Away" which is near the top of my list. Seeing as the first two albums sounded good on CD, I wonder what happened to "Turn Back" because it really is mastered very low. I'm hopeful for the new remasters, especially if "Turn Back" is greatly improved.

julesd68 likes this.
  7. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Damn, that sounds good. And it even has dynamics! I'm getting excited and hope this doesn't turn out like XIV

--
    Rob

drum_cas and PTgraphics like this.
  8. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

Have you heard hydra on sacd? It's so good i don't think a remaster is needed.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I love everything about 'Alone' - classic sound but doesn't sound dated to me at all ...
    Superb instrumentation as usual, drums are really kicking - if only this was released as a 12" single!! :yikes:

FVDnz and drum_cas like this.
  10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Noticed that 40 Trips will be Mastered for iTunes.

11. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's Vinnie Colaiuta apparently. Killer track.

FVDnz likes this.
  12. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Are there downloads for these?

13. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I thought that as I read Luke’s quote about “no compression” and “Turn it the f—- up!” upthread. If he feels that way, why did he go so far in the other direction, mastering-wise, on their last album - then defend the loudness of it against detractors at the time?

PTgraphics, bruce2 and Comet01 like this.
  14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

If they're using 40 Trips.... as the title, surely it's 23 songs short???

15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

He has admitted in interviews that he has serious tinnitus due to years of studio sessions wearing headphones. Maybe he isn't the best judge of mastering quality these days!

Rasputin and Bob J like this.
  16. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

A year ago they were coming, where are they? Anyone know the new release date?

edit:a couple different sources say 2018 :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

The original CDs sound pretty good already; I ended up with a couple of Rock Candy remasters and I've always suspected the originals might sound better (but never got around to comparing).

18. It is. Coming on RSD as the b-side of Hold the Line.

19. You assume that Lukather mastered the album. He did not. I believe Frontiers had their in-house guy do it.

20. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

I presume that Lukather had approval over the mastering job.

--
    Rob

bruce2 likes this.
  21. walrus

Every release on Frontiers records sounds like absolute crap, mastering-wise. (Falling In Between was also pretty bad, although nothing will ever be as bad as XIV). But yeah, I can't see how the band wouldn't have final say over it before it gets sent off to manufacturing.

22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree Falling In Between is much too loud but compared to XIV sounds great!

PTgraphics likes this.
  23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I did not assume that at all. He DEFENDED the horrible mastering job on it.

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea hard to believe but he thought the mastering was great. I still think he never bought an actual copy and he heard a mastering that was changed when it went into production. I hate just about all Frontiers mastering. I have to go back a number of years to find one half way decent.

walrus and Musician95616 like this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Nm.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.