Toto to release new album: Toto XIV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sander, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

And that's the point, I wouldn't call myself an avid fan and if I was - I would probably still buy it and go to the trouble of EQ'ing it to make it sound a little better. For me, it sounded like all the instruments were fighting for the same small patch of real estate and no-one was winning.

The shame here is that there is most likely a well recorded album that has been made into a lesser product by the mastering. I wouldn't blame the mastering engineer either, as he was probably under pressure to make it loud from the label. It just makes you wonder about how much input the artist has in the final product and I guess that depends on how much weight they carry or if they really care?

As I said before, this didn't need to be some crazy "audiophile" mastering. A good example was Green Day's 2004 American Idiot album which didn't sound great on my setup (I didn't play it for 6 or 7 years) but the small changes made by Ted Jensen on the 2012 remaster on HDTracks make a big difference. It's the difference between playing once or twice and forgetting or being in listening rotation.

Anyway, rant over - enjoy the album :righton:

2. OmegaSea

OmegaSea New Member

Someone posted that the mastering was awful on Steve Lukather's facebook and this is what Luke had to say:

"Get a bigger power amp pal. its 30cycles to 20khz NO compression added. We keep getting one or 2 of you guys out of the vast many that say it sounds great. i think there are many different versions floating and of course.. no matter what i say.. or how you lie to cover for yourself for lack or gear or ripped copy.. I will never know but dont come on here and start saying **** like that man. Is your hi end stereo playing an mP3 ripped copy? Maybe it IS cheap junk cause my copy sounds great and its the stream from the mastering lab. Perhaps you should speak with our mastering engineer Pete Doell. Google and ask him."

Yikes!

Davidmk5, Rasputin and bru87tr like this.
  3. Anthony Mitchell

Anthony Mitchell New Member

I will certainly write to the Label. I imagine even they can read the forums etc and must know a lot of us aren't happy!! Cheers Anthony

4. Anthony Mitchell

I had a feeling Steve might say this! I have over 3000 cd's - bog standard original releases, remastered versions, Japanese releases etc etc. I have a $60,000 system and I can hear every nuance of the recording process as I have incredibly revealing studio monitor speakers. I think Steve should go out and buy a copy of his new album and listen to what we are being asked to accept as quality music. I am going to track down Pete Doell and write to him, at the same time writing to Frontier music in Italy.
    Steve Lukather should also be advised -( I am not on Facebook so can't comment this way) He states his hearing is NOT that great nowadays. I think we have proved our point!

Davidmk5, fpas, Sander and 2 others like this.
  5. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Terrible!

How can anyone supporting this forum buy the CD edition? This is everything we NOT support!

Anthony Mitchell likes this.
  6. Anthony Mitchell

I have written to Universal Mastering Studios, where Pete Doell mastered the Toto XIV album. I will post any replies that I get.

Davidmk5 and svafo like this.
  7. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Lukather is now officialy a ********* and I will think three times before I ever support any of his releases in the future. Next time I WILL get a pirated copy, at least I won't have to pay for the s**** they are offering. Won't go to any Toto show anymore either.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sadly, I just knew when the band members were all going on and on, that this new album would basically carry on where "Toto IV" left off, that that was code for, "Our new album will be another "Kingdom Of Desire"". As a fan of this band, since before they were even officially called "TOTO", playing on albums by the likes of Boz Scaggs and Seals & Crofts, I have felt that the great simple melodic journey that they were once on, is now being ruled by Luke's addictions and by the "rocking" fans of other countries, who like their rock to sound like a mash-up of "Survivor" and "Quiet Riot". I find it sad that Luke actually believes that this new album is even close to the greatness of the self-titled album through "The Seventh One" and that the sound of these recordings is acceptable to anyone, other than a teenager with iPod type headphones.

Red and driverdrummer like this.
  9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nick Davis, is that you? :winkgrin:

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Some of us care more about the music than how it sounds. Does it mean I like things that sound less than good? No, but if I like a band I'll support them.

As for Luke being a tool or whatever, he's defending his release. He's always been one of those guys who wears his heart on his sleeves, for better or worse, so I'm surprised some of you long-term fans are getting all worked up over this. Of course he thinks it sounds good. And there are plenty others who think it sounds good too I'm sure. Our opinions on mastering are not the only ones out there.

Rocketdog, fpas, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

A lot of sheep on SL facebook page.

Little do they know, here we are talking about the CD. He knows how it sounds and looks (unless he is oblivious, I don't see how), he also knows if he posts that people are DL files (not CD), people will follow and support him.

Even if not true.

13. marblesmike

Please don't be insulting to those of us who don't think it sounds as terrible as some others do. I have a nice system and listen to only lossless music on $200 earbuds when I'm not at home. Is it $60000 high-end? No, but I know a bad recording when I hear it and this one is far from the worst I've heard.

As for the music, I like all sorts of things, and I like that Toto has done different things. I don't think it's a mash-up of Survivor and Quiet Riot but whatever, you're entitled to your opinions, no matter how hyperbolic they might be.

Rocketdog and bru87tr like this.
  14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

As someone who hasn't been bothered by the mastering, the people saying it sounds good probably are like me. But I'm not going to defend the mastering. That's not my area of expertise and luckily my ears can hear past it. I would expect him to he more knowledgeable about it though.

bru87tr likes this.
  15. DexterTragic

DexterTragic Forum Resident

I wonder if Steve has actually listened to the CD. I suspect the recordings were altered after Toto was done with them. At least, I hope that is the reason for this disconnect. And I hope that we can somehow get the version that Steve is defending....I want hear THAT version!!!!

Anthony Mitchell, bruce2 and bru87tr like this.
  16. Anthony Mitchell

Initial response NOT positive from Tunecore, (Universal Mastering Studios Los Angeles, CA) when asked if they would provide contact details of Pete Doell.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide personal contact details for Universal engineers. The mastering service is pretty cut and dry, you buy the service and the studio masters it and gives you back the final version.
    Any and all info on the mastering service is included in the following link below.
    www.tunecore.com/store/product/62

I have gone back again asking for something! Seems everyone is passing the buck as to who is ultimately responsible for an albums overall sound quality.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Davidmk5, Red, Rasputin and 2 others like this.
  17. marblesmike

Yeah and there are those of us who think it sounds pretty bad (not the worst ever, but far from the sonic greatness of their earlier works) but care more about the music. I will be getting the vinyl, as I'm sure it sounds better than the CD, but I could be wrong.

bru87tr likes this.
  18. OmegaSea

OmegaSea New Member

LOL! God no, I can't stand what that guy did the the Genesis catalog.

Anyhow, Luke seemed to have pulled his nasty response down off the facebook thread pretty quickly.

bru87tr likes this.
  19. Reckoon

Reckoon Well-Known Member

Just got the LP copy of the new album, and personally I'm satisfied with the mixing and sound. Sure it's not the greatest mastering, but it's very ok; the great songwriting helps me see past any faults in sound fidelity. I'm just glad we can finally hear more new material with Joseph Williams on vocals.

Rocketdog, Red, marblesmike and 3 others like this.
  20. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Gotto say I love Toto !!
    I've been playing the vinyl this week and thought it sounded fine... not awesome but no huge issue.
    I've just stuck on the Japan CD of XIV and I had to make a fast grab for remote!!
    On my Ayre K-XR I've had the LP at volume setting 33 (my speakers are powered by M-XRs so I have plenty of power!!!) for teh CD its not down to 24 and still sounds loud.

The first couple of songs are flat/lifeless sounding compared to the vinyl.

I do like the songs though :)

marblesmike likes this.
  21. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Ok, there you have it, the new standard :) How's the new album? It's "very ok" LOL

--
    Rob

bru87tr likes this.
  22. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Good for him. Maybe he realized that attacking his fans for formulating legitimate criticism and indirectly accusing them of stealing isn't cool.

Anthony Mitchell and bru87tr like this.
  23. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Or maybe someone at the record company read it and told him to delete it. Seeing as how Steve said similar things on Facebook and Twitter I suspect he's a dick who needs adult supervision.

--
    Rob

24. Red

Red Forum Resident

It's not exactly the first time. He seems like a very intelligent and funny guy but whenever someone has the slightest critizism he goes berserk, or so it seems. Toto has taken so much **** for almost 40 years, it might explain some of his reactions.

andy75, krock2009, dvcarrick and 4 others like this.
  25. Anthony Mitchell

Have had another negative response from Universal (Tunecore) saying that they are not willing to discuss this matter and as I am not a customer are not willing to offer any help/advice or comments. This is all very strange as Peter Doell is the Senior Mastering engineer at Universal in LA. You would think they were happy to discuss a product they have actually been involved with!! This may prove that they already know how bad a job they did. Alternatively and probably more likely, they did what they could to an awful finally mixed version of the album. With so many people (egos) involved in the recording process, they most likely had 11 tracks with sound quality varying from soft to mega loud and the poor Mastering engineer at Universal then had to equalise the sound to one level - hence the brick wall effect. (If in doubt make it loud) It is also now strange that Steve Lukather has now retracted his comments from Facebook.

Unless we can get comments from Peter Doell this thread will die and we will just have to accept that the album will always be second rate. Such a shame as the songs are actually quite good. I am not going to buy vinyl after shelling out £35 +on the standard cd version and the Japanese Cd. Perhaps HD Tracks may get their hands on it and put out Hi Res versions?? (Could just make the sound worse). If any of you are in LA and could ring Universal?? (If you buy a car and are not happy with something, it is quite easy to ring the HQ of any of the worlds car manufacturers. This is why customer service departments are there)

Davidmk5, krock2009 and drowningdeep like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.