Toto to release new album: Toto XIV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sander, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Mitchell

Anthony Mitchell New Member

How did it sound? My cd has not arrived from Japan yet.

2. Frans

Frans Forum Resident

Got my Blu-spec cd2 today, ripped it via EAC to FLAC and am listening now. Not sure what these audio issues are that others are talking about because this sounds pretty good. Strong bass and a nice overall balance. I don't have the domestic version to compare against, but shouldn't this be the same mix/master?

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I would assume so. I need to pick up the vinyl this weekend when I get back from holiday to compare.

4. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Could you check the DR values on a couple of songs?

5. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Can you post a screenshot of the waveform of one of the songs? For comparison, here's Running Out Of Time

[​IMG]

--
    Rob

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. Anthony Mitchell

Anthony Mitchell New Member

Got my Blu-spec cd2 from Japan. Apart from a tiny bit more air the overall sound is just as bad as the original domestic version. Flat, 2D, with no bass definition at all. Very muddled with no musicality. Reading some reviews on Amazon, there are loads of you out there that feel this album sounds appalling. The waveform above says it all. "BRICKWALL".
    The last Toto album that sounded ok was Kingdom of Desire. Just hear the bass and drums on She Knows the Devil - this is Jeff and Mike at their best laying down the foundation of a good rock track. (I think the new drummer has been mixed so far down as is the bass, they have just become one 'blob' of heavy sound. Tambu carries on the same vein with a strong punchy rock sound . Mindfields started the decline and Falling In Between suffers many of the issues associated with the new album. Hasn't anybody managed to get hold of Peter Doell the Engineer? He cant refuse via LinkedIn or facebook can he?? I'm shocked that Frontiers hasn't said anything to defend their release and am even more surprised that Universal haven't commented, especially as it is their bread and butter work. Perhaps they should stick to Celine Dion releases!

PTgraphics, cber1517 and bruce2 like this.
  7. marblesmike

I received by vinyl copy from Amazon US yesterday. It's the same as the EU edition, as on the back cover it says 'Made in the EU.' I haven't listened yet, but will be doing so later today and I'll share my thoughts.

8. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Please do.

9. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

How is it ?

10. marblesmike

I've only listened to it once on my friend's system, and while I think it sounds more detailed in the mids and highs than the CD, the bass is still bloated. I'll need to listen to more on my system tomorrow, which should give me a better idea of how it compares to the digital version.

11. marblesmike

Alright, the vinyl definitely sounds more open and airy on my system than does the CD. The bass is still overbearing, but I just turn down the bass knob and it helps a lot. Does it sound as good my Toto IV TML pressing, well no. But if I'd rate the sound quality on the CD as maybe 3.5 or 4/10, the vinyl might be a 6.5/10.

The pressing is dead quiet and flat and centered, so it has that going for it too. And some songs certainly sound much better than others on the LP: Chinatown and Great Expectations seem to have especially more detail and balance to them.

So my advise is that if you really like the album and can't stand listening to the CD and have access to a decent LP-playback system, go for the vinyl. So far it is the definitive version of the album for me.

And this was all compared on the same amp and speakers.

dvcarrick likes this.
  12. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review of the vinyl pressing itself. I have not heard the CD & I guess I don't need to. However, there is a nice needledrop of the vinyl out there & I think the album is quite good & the sound is plenty listenable if not quite perfect. I will add picking up a copy of this to my list. :righton:

13. marblesmike

Yeah, I've also heard said needledrop (again, on the same amp as my turntable) and honestly I like the LP better than the rip.

14. I'm liking the songs a lot but share some disappointment in the sound (save Steve Porcaro's songs). This is weird because I felt the two most recent Steve Lukather solo albums, both also produced buy CJ Vanston, sounded great.
    Granted, Mascot Records dealt with the mastering on those, not Frontiers.

15. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Well-Known Member

I like the new album, but won't buy the CD when it supposedly sounds so compressed. I listened to the album on Deezer in HQ, and a lot of the songs sound not only compressed, but also distorted. Even the vocals! Does the distortion apply to the vinyl as well or is it more clean sounding?

-Peter

16. marblesmike

It's a little more clean sounding, but it's not a sonic marvel. If you like the music and want to support the band, then buy it. It's what I did.

17. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Well-Known Member

Sad. Will go for the vinyl. Thanks for replying.

18. mkfly2626

mkfly2626 Forum Resident

Got also the vinyl edition.

Im a huge toto fan but i stopped listenning after 3 songs.
    The sound is very muddy and very bassy.

Im disappointed.

19. marblesmike

I turned the bass down. Works wonders.

20. mkfly2626

mkfly2626 Forum Resident

I have no bass settings on my amp.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I pulled out Both the cd AND the vinyl again this week for a re-visit ...... BOTH may be among the worst sounding i have in my collection , just a total mess .
    Bloated , distorted nightmare ....... I honestly think Frontiers did something after the mastering was handed in as mentioned above Lukathers solo stuff sounds really good & if i remember correct was mastered by the same guy ?
    What a shame as i really like the songs ............ will be going to see the 1st night of the U.S. tour tonight :righton:

dvcarrick likes this.
  22. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

It's a shame as there are some great songs on the album. They were awesome earlier in the year at Glasgow (I think it was opening night of the Euro tour).
    The new songs sounded great live! Enjoy the show!

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I just LOVE the new album , they played 3 off the new album last night ,they did a 1 off kinda warm-up show before heading out with YES for a co-headlining thing that starts tonight , so we got a lot of songs they never play here in the U.S. , they did a 2 hour 10 minute set psyched to see a full show .
    I think the YES tour they get cut down to 80 minutes & we got to go backstage after as a friend of mine is friends with Lukather ..... just a really good time & amazing show .

dvcarrick and hotsoup like this.
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Luke says he has a copy of the new album and it sounds great. What I don't know if it was a pre-production copy or a store bought copy. As much as I love Toto this album sounds really bad, and I hate saying that. The Toto camp disagrees though.

Pat

Davidmk5 likes this.
  25. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

To be fair, they're required to say that. If Lukather said "I love our new album, it's like Death Magnetic but with a better drummer" he would be in trouble with the label. And their lawyers. And Lars Ulrich :)

--
    Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.