Toto to release new album: Toto XIV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sander, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You do see everyone analyzing the album and talking about the mastering and what not, right? Mike wasn't on the album anyway, obviously. And no, Kimball is not involved.

2. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

I love Chinatown! My favourite tune so far.

tspit74 and driverdrummer like this.
  3. Red

Red Forum Resident

One of my favourite tunes, but it was Lukather singing the verse on that one. Paich sang on Lorraine though (Hydra).

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well, sounds like the mastering will keep me away. If true, this is a big disappointment; the loudness war had subsided a bit, at least from my vantage point ...

5. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

I found this on another forum . Wave for "Burn".

[​IMG]

6. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

Paich sings the very nice bonus track "Spanish Steps of Rome" from Mindfields.

andy75 likes this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have not listened to Falling in Between in a couple months, but I played it heavily when it came out, and yes, in my opinion the new album sounds worse. Maybe I will do a comparison soon.

8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was hoping and expecting this album to have a nice mastering, perhaps similar to the new Yes album. Not even close. I would like to hear what Lukather has to say about this awful sound quality, as he seems to be honest and outspoken. I hope he becomes aware of the displeasure towards this album of people like us on this forum. I found his last couple of solo albums to be too loud, but again I find Toto XIV to be even worse.

bru87tr and PTgraphics like this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I don't think the album sounds that bad. I enjoyed Falling in Between much more. I enjoy Chinatown off the new album and I'm a big Toto fan.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Huh? Really? I'll have to go back and listen. Coulda swore it was Paich but maybe I'm just thinking of the writing credit.

Mark

11. Red

Red Forum Resident

Yes, that was one of David's on that record.

12. Sander

Sander Senior Member Thread Starter

Ouch, brickwalled... :(

13. Sander

I understand your hesitation, but you would be missing out on an excellent Toto album (music-wise).

Rocketdog, Carserguev and bhazen like this.
  14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Whenever I read that another artist from rock is going to come out of the cobwebs and do another album, I have mixed emotions because the first thing that goes through my mind is "I wonder how digital it is going to sound and how bad post production is going to ruin it".
    It would be nice if they could do like them and Steely Dan did in the 70s and use state of the art recording so that they sound like Toto and not the computer they recorded on.

bru87tr, driverdrummer and bruce2 like this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are you able to "listen past" the mastering issues?

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I am enough to enjoy the music. It just means it will get fewer plays than it probably would have otherwise, considering how much I've listened to all the other Toto/Lukather records.

bru87tr and bhazen like this.
  17. Sander

I bought the Blu-spec 2 release (for the Japan only bonus track 'Bend' - the mastering seems to be the same), and as long as I don't crank it too much I find the CD listenable, in particular the softer songs.

bhazen likes this.
  18. Rob Burgess

Rob Burgess Forum Resident

Brickwalled ... at 100kph ... no seatbelt .... blood everywhere

--
    Rob

bru87tr, Galley and bhazen like this.
  19. Rob Burgess

I was just looking at Twitter and Luke was commenting about the people who were complaining about the mastering, he claimed that they were all listening to badly ripped, pirated, MP3s. I didn't have the heart to post.

--
    Rob

bru87tr and Red like this.
  20. Sander

:yikes: So either he hasn't heard the album as it was actually released or his hearing is gone...

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Sander

22. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Well, maybe you should. Maybe refer him to this thread. I don't twitter.

bru87tr and bruce2 like this.
  23. I have a hard time getting into this one. The sound quality is awful, the production sounds like an attempt to turn the band into a thrash metal act and the songwriting is significantly worse than on Falling In Between. It's good to have Joseph Williams and Steve Porcaro back full time, but I was expecting something a lot better than this. Hopefully they'll sound better live in Amsterdam next May.

24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

You should say something. I have not gotten the album yet or I would say something to him too.

Pat

25. Rob Burgess

The problem is, after being burned by too many bad sounding albums, I don't buy them until I know if they sound good or not. So I haven't bought this. Maybe the flacs I've heard were doctored (my "Burn" looks exactly like the picture a few posts up and the whole album has a DR of 6). So I'm unable to take the high ground on this.

--
    Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.