Toughest record finds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tamla Junkie, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Not sealed but still has the shrinkwrap on it and the record looks unplayed. Only a sealed copy would improve on it.

2. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Isaac Hayes-Truck Turner- Quadraphonic

Gordon Staples-Strung Out

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  3. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't found any Motown collectors that will pay more for opened shrink wrap. A lot of us pull it off to avoid warping the record (ARP and Archer both used ****ty quality vinyl that likes to warp at random). That said, it's still the find of a lifetime; $500 would probably be fair.

My best find to date was a VG+ copy of "Bad Girl" on Motown G 1 in the Lake Orion, Michigan Salvation Army store. It was marked at a dollar or something and I paid 50 cents. It was a discount day or something silly.

I enjoy my copy of the Rev Mann album though. The fellow I bought it from had it playing in the shop while I was combing through the Motown 45s. I fell in love with it and made an offer on the spot.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The End of The Game was issued sometime in 1970. I really like that album; a great jam session. Thanks for the heads-up :).

5. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Not saying anyone would pay extra for the shrinkwrap, just indicating that the cover is pristine because the original wrap was never removed. It's fairly loose, so I'm not concerned about it.

Amazing find on that 45. I'll bet you couldn't believe you really had it in your hands, especially at that price.

I have some really nice early Tamla/Motown LPs, including a NM Supremes stool cover. You could still find those at pretty reasonable prices back in the 80's, although those first 15 or so Tamla LPs were always expensive, even when they were pretty beat up.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  6. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

Dang, I should sell mine. Awesome condition, with the orange tray. :wiggle:

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I have a special edition that came in a book. Didn't that album sell pretty well? It doesn't seem like anyone would have trouble finding one.

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't collect, as such, so some true rarities are probably lost on me- including singles. The issue for me is often a combination of price and condition. I've been looking for a clean playing UK copy of Cressida Asylum. It's not that such records don't exist- they are simply crazy money, and even at that, condition can be an issue.
    Some true rarities I simply stumble on-- I had ordered what was supposed to be a used remastered copy of De De Lind for little money, and the seller sold me the real Italian original pressing, with all the earmarks of having never been played.
    Some of the early prog/proto-metal, post-pysch stuff is now so expensive on vinyl, I have started buying legitimately issued older Redbook CDs. (I now have to ramp up my digital front end from virtually nothing to something).
    Leaf Hounds' Grower of Mushrooms, for example. My friend Ken turned me onto Blast Furnace, which is a great album, and though I prefer original pressings where possible the LP reissue by Polydor/Uni is better than OK, given the cost of an original, which is not only high, but still puts you in "plays OK for its age." Ugh.
    As I continue to bumble, stumble and Mr. Magoo my way through the thicket. I don't necessarily find everything I'm looking for, but find something else that is interesting, musically, in the meantime.

Leonthepro and Tamla Junkie like this.
  9. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I actually got a copy of it at a pawn shop 6 months ago for $2 even though it has a warp I'm going to fix.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Vastly easier to find in America, I'd have thought.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  11. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I found and bought a buckingham/nicks gatefold for $100 and the cover is very close to NM, media VG++. Worth the price you think?

Fullbug and Tamla Junkie like this.
  12. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have literally zero desire to find a "Stool Cover", but then the Supremes are easily my least favorite Motown act. Still, a NM "Stool Cover" is a tremendous find.

The next item on my list is a better copy of the Chico Leverett single from 1959. I'll be looking until I'm bald and/or grey...

13. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's a record I want. $100 is more than I like to pay for a rarity like this one. I'd pay $50 for a VG cover and a VG+ player that has scuffing. I guess I have a phobia that I'd pay $100 the day before they announce the first ever CD version...

jeffd7030 and Tamla Junkie like this.
  14. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

zebop and Sax-son like this.
  15. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Section 25 - 'Always Now' on cassette

State Department - 'Slow Love' 12".

Everything else turns up eventually.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'd like a copy of the complete 1969 Fillmore West concerts, but not for $600 or so. Between Live/Dead and the 3 CD set I have about 1/2 of it already. On a related note, with all these concert recordings now available, I'm continuously impressed how the band/WB picked the best takes for release on the original LPs. Live/Dead and Europe 72 were almost perfect.

lovemygirl and Fullbug like this.
  17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

If you're meant to have it, it will find you. The few times I've paid more than I should for something on Discogs or eBay a cheaper/better copy subsequently turned up in a shop.

ohnothimagen and Sax-son like this.
  18. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

This is a tough one - are we talking tough because of what it costs, or tough because we've honestly never seen it?

Tough because of cost is probably the Scorpio Grateful Dead single (Stealin'/Don't Ease Me In). They're out there, and if I REALLY had to have one I probably could do it, but the prices people have tried to get are beyond what I'm comfortable paying.

True rarity for me would be my 1972 Vertigo Split Ends/For you single - the hunt spanned three decades, and it's the only one I've ever seen. I know of a couple more in collections, but in terms of actual physical sighting, it's just this one, and that had to be shipped across the world. It's a fine example of something that doesn't play all that great, but that I may never see again.

Mylene and Tamla Junkie like this.
  19. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I have a record of Ringo's stop and smell the roses I'm not sure if its an original or a reissue I'll check when I get home

20. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Decca Demo copies of Don't Start Crying and Here Comes The Night by Them to have all their singles in demo form.
    3 HMV demos by Johnny Kidd, one of which is Jealous Girl and the other 2 I've forgotten it's been so long.
    Side 2 of the BBC Top Of The Pops Transcription Disc no.2
    Decca demos of Not Fade Away and The Last Time with clean labels to complete my Stones Decca Demo collection. Preferably not at £250 with writing and torn labels which some eBay sellers seem to consider excellent !
    The Rolling Stones Radio Luxembourg acetate from March 1964 that belongs to Bill Wyman.
    The Beach Boys I'm In Great Shape acetate that belongs to persons unknown.

Think I've set myself up for failure but I did finally get an excellent UK copy of Midway Down by The Creation which only took several years to track down.
    Apart from that I'm pretty happy unless you have a Johnny Kidd Please Don't Touch acetate going spare. I have one but I want the one from the previous session !

21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Oh and The Cougars 1963 6 track Parlophone ep. I can only find the NUT 4 track issue and I need it for research nerd purposes.

22. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Wu-Tang Clan - Once Upon A Time In Shaolin

23. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Its an original

24. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Yep. Me too. For years I've wanted a couple of albums by Black Pool, an east coast Canadian band from the early 90s. They went nowhere with a couple of locally released albums, but some of their band members went on to bigger success in some of my favourite bands. I don't live round there, so have assumed I would never find these without scouring the internet.

Found one of their albums at the Salvation Army yesterday for $2 when I was dropping off some donations!!!

Sax-son and rubberhead like this.
  25. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Obscure 45, but I've been hunting for Michael Whalen's 'Where's The Playground Susie' for eons, at a reasonable price. Maybe that's my problem. So obscure, 'reasonable' doesn't come into the equation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.