Tracking down a stereo imbalance

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinylfindco, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters Thread Starter

My left channel is consistently "brighter" on stereo recordings. I need to track down where the problem is. I already switched speakers. No change, the left still seems brighter. So it's not the speakers (MMG). Would the next step be switching the speaker cables? I have a sub hooked up line level. I suppose I should take that out first and if the balance is corrected then the problem is with the sub or the cables? What would you do next after checking speakers? I also have Spotify as a source to play with (in addition to my turntable. My pre also has mono left right and reverse settings if that helps. Also should I be using a mono or stereo source.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Need more info.

Does this happen on digital and analogue playback (CDs and LPs) or just one?

3. Vinylfindco

Also, when playing a stereo record and switching the pre to mono, the left still seems slightly louder/brighter.
    I'm listening near field to detect this. So I can't imagine it's the room, though I do have a large mirror door on the left wall. (I know, bad). I don't have headphones to rule that out but I could enlist a roommate to hold up a blanket if needed.

4. Vinylfindco

It's happening with vinyl playback, should I check the same material on Spotify (off phone through Bluetooth receiver plugged into aux)

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Have you swapped channels feeding the speakers? Easiest way is to simply swap left and right at amp terminals. As you've eliminated the speakers, this would eliminate the amp.

6. Vinylfindco

Just checked same track "Take Five" off spotify with same ( actually more pronounced imbalance

7. Vinylfindco

Ok I'll try that next. Can I leave the sub in line?

8. Vinylfindco

Maybe different source material as that track has a lot of cymbal on the left.

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'd try it both ways.

10. Vinylfindco

I switched them, strange it sounds better balanced. Maybe I had leads reversed on one channel by mistake?

11. Vinylfindco

What would be a good source LP to make this clearer? I have all the usual suspects, lol. Right now I have Rickie Lee Jones S/T and it's sounding more equal.

12. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Why couldn't it be increased reflections from the mirror on the left? Perhaps it's worth covering it temporarily with a blanket to see what difference it makes. Near field or no, this lack of symmetry in the room surfaces can make a difference, it seems to me.

Ephi82 likes this.
  13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Is the mirror easy to take down and put back up for troubleshooting?

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If you really want to test it, do so with a decibel meter and measure the exact same distance and height from each speaker so the rating is relevant.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Been there done that....Gremlins can drive you nuts. You might want to consider your hearing.

marcb, Mike-48, Andy A and 1 other person like this.
  16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Try any mono album or 45.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I did that and put a SPL meter right up to the tweeters and mid drivers. It showed about a 3db difference. It ended up being the tweeter/hi mid, in my Thiels.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Vinylfindco

No it's a double hung sliding closet door.

19. Vinylfindco

I thought about that!

20. Vinylfindco

I'll try a mono.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So it worked for a period of time and recently there is an imbalance?

22. Vinylfindco

I started to notice after moving speakers and sub and reconnecting. I think I may have had the leads reversed at the amp on one channel. When it was suggested to switch cables at the amp, I didn't notice if they were both correctly wired, but made sure when reconnecting them. Could having one speaker out of phase make one sound less vibrant? I suppose so. Still testing with a mono source as you suggested. It seems better. I think some things I noticed the problem on are recordings that might favor one side over the other. Time Out and Sgt Pepper original stereo (no surprise there, duh)

23. Vinylfindco

I'm going to try the mono "Only The Lonely" and see how that fares.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Half the time, when ever I start disconnecting and reconnecting/ move stuff around, I end up with problems. It is so annoying.

25. Vinylfindco

It still seems off with a mono record and preamp in mono mode.. I'm going to try switching out the Odyssey Khartago for my old Perreaux 3150.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.