Traffic album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mainline461, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Fair point, it was just that all the albums around it were covered. A great thread nonetheless.

2. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

An absolutely stunning LP: the music, the vinyl, the sound quality and as I posted elsewhere:

I have been a fan since the word go back in The Spencer Davis Group days all the way through Traffic, Blind Faith, his solo LPs, his most recent band and seen him many a times through the decades but this is just a fantastic 4 x LP that summarises all of that and how he plays it these days.

To cap it all, believe it or not, he walked into my brothers local pub in Cheltenham and I was not there!

Richard

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Stay safe Mainline461. Keep out of Irma's way.

Mainline461 likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You'll play it as often as any other album with a DR of 6-8

Which is likely once and file it away.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Uneven due to the variation in the recording years, however its an enjoyable well recorded live album- the price is a steal at 8 bucks US.

Mainline461 likes this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

On the Clapton Winwood set (meaning both cd and dvd), I have owned it since it came out, and have enjoyed it very much, although I have not to be honest played either consistently throughout. I may prefer the dvd. Probably my seeing them at one of the MSG concerts is part of how I relate to the set, which was a great experience I will always remember and treasure.

As at the time and still, my one big regret about this set is they did not include Sea of Joy from the Blind Faith songs. I am mystified why they left that out, as of course they did do it live in the Hyde Park concert, evident on the dvd of that show (meaning there's no doubt it was and is doable live). Needless to say I think Joy is a great song.

But for what's on here, lots of great stuff. The choice to do two guitars on Had to Cry Today produced excellent results (the Hyde Park show had Winwood on electric piano). Perhaps the most effective collaboration here not evident in any previous recordings since all the way back to the Rainbow Concert in 73 (so yeah, they did do it live once before at least) is a smoking Pearly Queen, which ends up being a solo Clapton quite evidently enjoyed playing on, very much.

Of the songs chosen I guess Forever Man is my least favorite, but that's a very minor quibble. This is an excellent set.

WilliamWes and Mainline461 like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I believe Sea of Joy is now out of Winwood's vocal range. And yes, I know his voice has aged really well. Listen how he strains even back then for 'just a thorn between my eyes'.

8. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

That's probably right, but they could have done it differently, perhaps transposing it.

9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Oh my goodness! Cool interview with Dave Mason today from Parade

Dave Mason Plays 'Traffic' Jams, Welcomes a Steve Winwood Reunion

What do you most want people to think about your time in Traffic?

It’s a legacy. I was 18 or 19, no wife, no kids, no mortgage, and it was a great time of exploration. I wish that Steve and I could get together again—we’re the only two members left. It would be so great on so many levels. I don’t have much communication with Steve or him with me…I don’t know. I get lots of queries, not just from fans, from the industry too, about a reunion. I say, “Hey guys. You’re asking the wrong guy. Go ask him.”

[​IMG]
    Mason's Alone Together Again tour

I thought they were not getting along the last I heard. Actually there was a thread somewhere here about it so I guess I'm surprised.

gorangers and kees1954 like this.
  10. WilliamWes

11. Hiya
    Could I ask, did you ever find " Goodbye my Love " B side " Baby your not my Problem " I am searching for the single as a CD version.
    Thanks

12. WilliamWes

Well I finally finished up the last two studio albums of Steve Winwood.

STEVE WINWOOD-ABOUT TIME (2003)

1. Different Light (A-)
    2. Cigano (For Gypsies) (B+)
    3. Final Hour (B)
    4. Why Can’t We Live Together (C+)
    5. Domingo Morning (A-)
    6. Now That You’re Alive (B-)
    7. Bully (C+)
    8. Phoenix Rising (C+)
    9. Horizon (B)
    10. Walking On (B+)
    11. Silvia (A-)

STEVE WINWOOD-ABOUT TIME (B+)
    Steve Winwood came back from his worst album to bring his best quality material of his solo career. Though it has no hits like his 80’s pop albums, to hear Steve was back in the rock world thoroughly was a joy. His work here showcased his organ and guitar skills that had been missing on so much of his 80’s stuff. With all those 80’s new toys of synths and synth drums, he brings a double album length to the table and Traffic fans should eat it while it’s hot. Rock, soul, funk, world, pop, great arrangements and a tremendous ambition come together to reveal that Winwood hadn’t lost his talents after all this time. From “Different Light”, a track that has a great rhythm, melody and vibe, the album moves along like a Traffic album, working in organ, guitar, percussion, and fine compositions to re-stylize Winwood into the Hall of Famer he is.

This easily beats Last Exit, Shootout At the Fantasy Factory, When the Eagle Flies, and yes, his entire solo career. “Domingo Morning” is a great example of his fine sense of what it takes to make a song great, with all of the best goodies Steve has to offer. Even saxophones and flutes come back into play and it all makes for a reliving of what his Traffic sound was. His melodies and hooks are great here but he also shines on his soloing. His guitar solos on “Cigano”, “Bully” and “Silvia” are all great. His organ solo on “Final Hour” is stellar too. But let’s get back to “Silvia” because this is a major highlight of his career and perhaps the finest guitar solo he’s ever crafted. Previously, I found his live version of “Uninspired” to be the best guitar solo of his career, but then this closer comes along.

The 11-minute “Silvia” starts out quiet and unassuming with some a very light wah-wah riff intro as he begins singing praises of Silvia before bursting out into a organ-led chorus that maintains his high melodic skill. Winwood starts a quiet and slow solo 4 minutes in but it quickly picks up intensity and it swirls whirls and emits feedback in just the right ways before he quiets down for one more verse after a few minutes. The organ driven chorus comes in again before an incredibly intense ending that with help from great drumming rivals the best of his hard rock side. It closes Winwood’s finest solo album and one that showed all his work in Traffic was definitely not forgotten. This is on par with the John Barleycorn Must Die album – a classic to many, but this just doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

Jimmy Cooper and kees1954 like this.
  13. WilliamWes

STEVE WINWOOD-NINE LIVES (2008)

1. I’m Not Drowning (B-)
    2. Fly (C+)
    3. Raging City (B+)
    4. Dirty City (C+)
    5. We’re All Looking (B)
    6. Hungry Man (B+)
    7. Secrets (B)
    8. At Times We Forget (B-)
    9. Other Shore (B+)

STEVE WINWOOD-NINE LIVES (B)
    The followup to the great About Time has a difficult task living up to that album. Nine Lives cuts the length considerably but brings the same rock instrumentation that made his Traffic and Spencer Davis Group work so effective. Ninth album-nine songs. Early on in the album, he sets a quiet mood with bluesy, soulful numbers that identify his ties to the 60’s before breaking open “Raging City”, one of the stronger compositions here. With it’s catchy riff and singalong chorus, the song lifts the energy and it’s sustained by tracks like “We’re All Looking” the exotic, empathetic “Hungry Man”. The additional percussion and organ help WInwood dive into genres he worked with on his debut along with the oldest material from The Spencer Davis Group. “Secrets” reminds me of Chris Wood’s flute contributions as it thrives on flute flourishes and driving organ. “Other Shore” brings back the cool vibe of the beginning of the LP. A solid return after another long hiatus from Winwood.

kees1954 likes this.
  14. WilliamWes

Capaldi just doesn't have many compilations so I don't think they've ever been on CD. I wish they were.

15. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

There is also a mono mix for "Forty Thousand Headmen" with a much longer title: Traffic - No Face, No Name And No Number

According to the liner notes of Chris Wood's Evening Blue box set this was already recorded on July 15, 1967!!!!!! This is definitely a dedicated mono mix, although I don't hear any really difference comparing it to the stereo mix on the "Traffic" LP.

16. Mike Hargreaves

Mike Hargreaves Forum Resident

These are on (plus many others) the Australian RAVEN CD RVCD-330 "Short Cut Draw Blood / The Contender (Daughter of the Night)...PLUS" 2 disc set.

17. WilliamWes

Didn't I post that already and now I totally forgot? Oh geez! Thanks for reminding me - it's written right under my review. :doh:

18. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

The box's mastermind, Neil Storey, admitted in another thread that this is a typo, and his best guess for the actual date is January 31, 1968. See Chris Wood (Traffic) box set next year?

kees1954 likes this.
  19. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I posted this by mistake on the SW GH thread. oops,

it belongs here:

Going back to Capald's Some come running.
    I've always like this album and on hearing it again today,
    I still like it a lot.
    Capaldi plays drums throughout and I think that helps.
    Peter Vale contrinutes bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals throughout.
    Vale also had a hand in most of the song writing.

Opening track is great. Something so Strong. A little heavier than past material.
    Winwood's presence on guitar and keyboards is certainly felt.

Love used to be a friend of mine is more melodic, and very nice.

Both of these first 2 tracks made it on the Prince of Darkness compilation.

Dancing on the highway is very typical capaldi.
    Its fine, but not particularly memorable.

Next is the title track and has Winwood on keyboards and vocals.
    I remember how great it was to hear the two singing together again
    when I first got this album. Keyboards are very much Winwood from the epoch.
    The song itself is not favorite though.
    This song was also issued as a 4-track cd single.
    Contains the album version along with an edit, and favella music and love hurts.

Voices in the night is heavy on the synthesisers. Vale adds vocals.
    Not my favorite track.

You are the one is another typical Capaldi track
    Chorus is sort of catchy. track also benefits from
    Clapton's guitar which kicks in midway into the song.

Take me home was the second single
    with an album version, edit and child in the storm and favella music (again).

Last track has great Capaldi vocals and his
    helped with George Harrison and Clapton on guitars.
    Clapton is superb on this track.

The album is relatively short (36+ min), so not a lot of filler.

Jim's next release with the live album with Dave Mason.
    No need to review each track, you know them all
    with the possible exception of Love will keep us alive (which I think only exists here - by Jim -
    it was performed by the Eagles and also on the post-mortem compilation).
    Low spark is Jim's version.

Some come running was released in 88, the live album with Mason in 99,
    so it was a surprise (to me) when Living on the Outside with all new material came out in 01.
    A pleasant surprise at that.

WilliamWes likes this.
  20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Reviving this thread for a question .

Just noticed this :: my copy of Canteen — there is what sounds like a tape drag or pitch slowing at the end of “Shouldn’t Have Took More Than You Gave”. The song ends a bit flatter than when it stars . And the drag seems to occur between 4:45 and 5:06. I have an old Island US CD. Anyone else hear this ? I wonder if other versions have it too .

21. WilliamWes

Great stuff- thanks a bunch since I couldn't get to it.

To be honest, I miss @Mainline461 and everyone who was on here. Mmmemorrries...ahh nostalgia. Excellent thread this was.

22. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree, it was a good run.

Almost Simon and NumberEight like this.
  23. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

So who do you fancy running an AbA thread on next? :cool:

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Track 4 is Raging Sea

Great stuff.

25. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it's your turn, unless I missed the follow up to your successful and enjoyable Clapton AbA thread.

Almost Simon likes this.