Tragedy: Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cdice, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdice

cdice New Member Thread Starter

I was surfing the Internet for info on Brewer & Shipley, and stumbled across this about the bassist from The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Anyone know anything more about what happened?

This morning in Springfield, MO., two friends
    > and great musicians, Bill Brown (The Ozark Mountain
    > Daredevils) and Don Shipps, who played all the bass
    > guitar on "Shanghai" [Brewer & Shipley CD?], died in a fire at Bill's apartment. > posted by Michael on Friday, 23 July 2004, at 2:55 p.m.

2. cdice

cdice New Member Thread Starter

Just found an answer to my own question. This comes from a Springfield, MO newspaper:
    What was supposed to be a big show featuring the Titanic Blues Band at the Outland on Friday night turned into a memorial of love and remembrance for Bill Brown and Don Shipps, who were killed that morning in a house fire.
    A bass and a guitar rested next to two amplifier stacks. Between them were photos of the musicians from over the years. Flowers lay across the floor, and an open guitar case at the front of the stage was filled with donated dollars.

"This outpouring makes me realize my uncle wasn't just a loving uncle, but a legend here," said Alistair Fannell, Shipps' nephew.

The two local music icons were killed when they failed to escape from a burning duplex on Springfield's east side.

Bassist Shipps, the founder of the Titanic Blues Band, and guitarist Brown — who played with The Misstakes and had only recently joined Shipps' band — died of smoke inhalation, said Greene County Medical Examiner Paul Spence, who conducted autopsies Friday.

As word of the tragedy spread among music lovers, friends and fellow musicians assembled Friday morning outside the duplex where Shipps and Brown lived.

The blaze, which started shortly after 4 a.m. Friday, took place in the 800 block of South Link Avenue and heavily damaged the duplex, said assistant fire chief Bill Arrington. The medical examiner's findings and fire officials' investigations showed the two had tried to escape the duplex.

The fire started around a chair in the living room and was consistent with fires started by smoking materials, Arrington said.

Officials believe there were no smoke detectors in the unit. "If they would have had a smoke detector, their chances (for survival) are 80 percent better," the assistant fire chief said.

Brown was a member of the 1980s band The Misstakes, which toured nationally. Brown also had played with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils for the last several years.

Misstakes drummer Gerry Revella headed to the burned duplex as soon as he'd heard. He knew how he'd remember the two: "Extremely talented — more than anybody would ever imagine. Great friends and an incredible passion for music.

"They devoted their lives to music and to their craft."

Visitation for Brown will be from 3 to 8 p.m. Monday at Greenlawn North Funeral Home. Arrangements for Shipps were pending Friday night.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Rest In Peace fellows...what a tragedy:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.