Tragically Hip

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hka, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Yup. Great song from my favourite Hip album, Up to Here.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Correct we are required to dislike Alan Thicke.

BluesOvertookMe and Dave like this.
  3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

I grew up in a city that had the Hip playing monthly in our local dive bar. Saw them when they were young and hungry many times. I miss those days and that band.

4. filper

filper Forum Resident

''Fully Completely". Brilliant work. Beautifully recorded and mixed.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It is a great album, and I too love the Sadies. I saw play the album live, but it was during Stampede, and inside a giant tent. The sound was horrible, and I was distracted by pseudo-cowgirls and $8 tall boys.

I have never actually seen the Hip play live. By the time I moved to Calgary, they were playing the Saddledome, and I couldn't afford tickets. Then I kind of stopped buying their new albums after Phantom Power. Gord is a character, and his stage antics border on pretentious, but at least he is putting on a show.

I would agree with Fully Completely being their best album. So many good songs.

6. dadmav

dadmav Forum Resident

to me the Hip had one of the best string of great albums by a band or artist ever, from Up To Here thru Phantom Power. I also love them live but have not seen them in quite a few years , they never fail to put on a great show. The wife and I are thinkin of Chicago in January...

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Love The Hip. Love the obvious albums, special mention goes to In violet Light, incredible album, it's a good life if you don't weaken, is just an amazing song. Other fave songs are Thompson Girl, Membership and Little Bones.

8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I'm a Hip fan. Saw them 3 times. Fully Completely tour, followed by Day for Night tour, then Phantom Power tour. All three were great shows. I first heard them on the radio late one night hearing Three Pistols from Road Apples, but didn't didn't catch the bands name. I heard it again late one night and sat and waited for the DJ to give the name and it never came. Drove me crazy!. Finally I asked a local record shop owner and he shrugged. Need the name. Finally about a month later I catch them again and had the song name, but not the band. It took the guy in the record shop a few days and informed my it was the Hip. He ordered it and I was so glad he did! I thought it was their first release. Found out they had 2 earlier releases, bought Up to Here and became a fan. When Fully Completely was released, I received it as a gift. I was hooked. Seeing them playing it live was over the top! Small bar on Long Island, NY, right up front and they blew us all away! Great night! I followed them up to In Violet Light, but they lost me at In Between Evolution (but I really like Gus). I would have to chose Fully Completely if I have to only pick one. They had a great run in the 90's. They still get plenty of play for me today. One song.....ooh, tough one. El Dorado.

9. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I've only got Up to Here, Road Apples, and a 3-song EP promo with "Nautical Disaster," "Fire in the Hole," and "Grace, Too." Up To Here is just a superb album. Haven't heard Fully Completely yet, but most people in this thread seem to like it so I better get it.

ARK likes this.
  10. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

I enjoy the band. I listened to them quite a bit this Summer.
    Not my absolute favorite, but had Bobcaygeon stuck in my head for a while.

11. Saw them many times after the first few releases. All in smaller halls. Dynamic. Then saw them in the Saddledome promoting Trouble at the Hen House. Boring as all get-out. I lost interest for many years & picked up the great compilation, Yer Favourites.

They've had so many hits in Canada. I'm surprised no one's mentioned "At The Hundreth Meridian" or "Little Bones". Me, I'm particular to "Bobcaygeon" & "Nautical Disaster" & for deeper cuts "Inevitability of Death" & "Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man"

LP? I don't think I can pick one over another...

DonnyMe likes this.
  12. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I was in the demographic sweet spot for the band's rise to domestic dominance: in high school during the EP, Up to Here and Road Apples days, then university for Fully Completely through Trouble at the Henhouse. So for me there is a real nostalgia attached to their body of work.

Fully Completely is the landmark album, a big, new sound that came out of left field compared to the Stonesy bar band sound that dominated the first two long players. Day for Night is a personal favourite. That moody record and R.E.M.'s Monster got a lot of play while I lived in Yorkshire, England on exchange to St. John's College. So those two records evoke a lot of special memories.

The shine came off a bit with Trouble at the Henhouse (at least to the mainstream), but I would suggest that that record and several of the following ones show a band getting tighter and becoming better overall songwriters, but doing it outside of the limelight. In Violet Light would be right up there among their finest.

13. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

It's encouraging to hear a comment that a recent show of theirs was too loud. I basically gave up going to their arena shows because they were too quiet and subdued. Although they've always brung it at festival shows I've seen. There's not much better than a sweltering Saturday night in July with a healthy dose of beer and The Hip.

I guess not *everyone* in Canada likes them, but IMO it's impossible to have gone to college in this country in the early '90s and not have a special place in your heart for them. They were everywhere in those days.

I also don't understand these comments about Downey's recent stage antics. I saw them in '93 and he was like already that, only with hair. Rambling on, ad-libbing, seemingly out of it but he always brings it home. I personally love it.

Music @ Work is where I got off, although I think I own them all. Phantom Power is my favourite with Fully Completely a close second. Escape Is At Hand For the Travelling Man is probably my favourite song. Locked in the Trunk of a Car is up there. Grace, Too as well.

I bought Live Between Us on vinyl when it came out. I think it's worth a few bucks now.

I still haven't picked up the Fully Completely reissue yet, but I will.

enro99 likes this.
  14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, you tend to forget just how many hits they've accumulated over the years.... the Yer Favourites comp did a fairly good job of rounding up most of them, but it's still missing a few tracks that were pretty big up here (eg. "Trickle Down", "Thugs", "Springtime in Vienna", "700 Foot Ceiling").

All in all, they've got somewhere around 40 songs that were singles/hits and/or received frequent radio play... not too shabby for a group of lads from Kingston, Ontario! ;)

DonnyMe likes this.
  15. "Smalltown Bringdown" was the glaring omission for my ears...but I guess it was a fan poll, am I correct?

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yes. That is my understanding.

17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

18. hka

hka Active Member Thread Starter

Best period for me is first Up to Here through Phantom Power, except there were only a few good tracks on Trouble at the Henhouse (and all those are better on the Live Between Us album). Gord Downie does interesting collaborations.. The Conquering Sun record with the Sadies is great. I think he was once part of a "songwriter's series" of shows here in Toronto sharing the stage with Gordon Lightfoot on the same bill!

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Do you like donuts at least? ;)

20. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

I much prefer the Headstones for best of Kingston Ontario bands!

erniebert likes this.
  21. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

"You said you didn't give a **** about hockey
    And I never saw someone say that before" - Fireworks from the album Phantom Power

Revolver and ARK like this.
  22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The 2-disc comp would have been perfect had `Last American Exit' and `Smalltown
    Bringdown' been on it instead of the two mediocre new songs. I can only assume
    (which I hate to do) that contractual issues kept them off.
    I've seen them three times and they haven't played `50 Mission Cap' yet. But I have
    a ducat to see them next April and I think I'm pretty much guaranteed to hear it that
    night....no?!

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That line has always kinda irked me.... shouldn't it be "I never heard someone say that before"? :p

nitsuj and ARK like this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've only seen them in concert once, but they didn't play it then, either.... maybe it's just one of those tunes they don't do very often? (Although that does seem strange, considering how popular the song is...)

Incidentally, the one Hip concert I did see was the November 26, 2004 show at the Air Canada Centre, which just happened to be the show that that was filmed for their live DVD, That Night in Toronto. It's different from most concert DVDs because there are no edits and it's not a composite of several different shows.... the DVD presents the concert exactly as it happened, with no changes to the order of the setlist or anything like that. Pretty cool. :)

25. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Fun Fact: The Hip played an A-list Winnipeg nightclub just before they broke big and got sacked. Bar manager never lived it down. Who knew? Apparently not him...

D.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.