Tragically Hip

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hka, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I saw them play Fifty Mission Cap live. As a matter of fact, while they were playing this song, a fan tossed a hat towards Gordie and unfortunately it landed over his mike while he was singing and it blocked out his voice. Without batting an eye he kept on singing while proceeding to tear that hat to shreds! Impressive focus and determination to carry on singing without missing a beat and that poor suckers hat, torn to pieces never to be worn again. It wasn't a Fifty Mission Cap...it was a single mission cap after Gordie got through with it.

2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Never did like them and always found the singer sounded like a sheep. I did end up seeing them live a couple years ago at a festival (and got to photograph them) and they were terrible. The singer was clearly on something and was straining to sing. One of the worst musical performances I have ever witnessed. Even Hip fans I know said it was a terrible show musically.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You must really hate Dylan's voice then....

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Funny, I must say I had heard of this band but never listened to anything by them. I came across Up To Here for cheap and gave it a listen this weekend. I really enjoyed what I heard. So much so, that I purchased Phantom Power. It got a lot of positive Amazon reviews. So, I had a different experience than you. Though, I obviously have never seen them live.

5. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

Up to Here was a great album, they were still a solid rock band then.

The sheep comparison is warranted, at times Gord sounds like he's baaaaing. Weird but true..

6. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

I love his energy on stage and think his voice is eccentric and different and great!

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Hard to dispute this when it is coming from SwollenGoat. ;)

Revolver and lightbulb like this.
  8. Looking forward to seeing them in February at the Saddledome in Calgary! :D

Scope J likes this.
  9. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Went to my local HMV tonight and saw the 2LP version of We Are The Same brand new for 3.99$! It's not my favourite but I'll buy almost anything at that price!

10. Emperor Penguin

ARK likes this.
  11. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Ha! I wrestled that same lyric for a time. My final analysis was Gord, being the poet that he is, just can't say it straight all cut and dry like you or I and say heard. That is, he enhances the imagery so when he sings saw it conjures, in my mind at least, something like in a movie when they mute the dialogue and the character says something really heavy (maybe even in slow-mo) and it really drives home the intensity or in this case to not only hear but to actually see the shocking absurdity of this girl he digs actually being apathetic to hockey. Does that make any sense? It's borderline embarrassing that I actually took time out of my life to ponder this on more than one occasion, tragically nerd :winkgrin:

Too many great albums and songs to pick one, but I will say Grace, Too hooked me. "...she kinda bit her lip/ Geez I don't know...../ I'm total Pro." Friggin' magicians, the whole lot of 'em.

enro99 and Rocker like this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

A girl who doesn't give a f**k about hockey is my kind of woman! It wouldn't be absurd to me at all, it would be a turn-on! :D

enro99 likes this.
  13. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Maybe not for the "sounds-like-a-sheep" crowd but never fails to get me.

14. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I was just suggesting this is the way Gord's male character felt about the girl and hockey in the song, not my own opinion.

I am not much of a spectator of sports either. Come to the States, plenty of girls (like 99% of them) who don't give a **** about hockey :)

15. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

The vinyi is $10.99 on amazon.ca right now.
    Aaron

16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Just picked up the remastered two-disc re-issue. Haven't spun the bonus disc yet but the album proper sounds insufferably bright- the original would be my go-to now that I have them both to choose from. Had high hopes for this one.

D.D.

17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Favorite of mine, saw them in 1989 or so. Been hooked on all of their stuff.

Scope J likes this.
  18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Anybody pick up the Road Apples vinyl? Pretty high price... worth it?

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

20. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

There should be a new album announcement anytime now.

Album was done last year but release was being held off til spring.

ARK likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Amazing live stream from Kingston tonight !

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

DonnyMe and enro99 like this.
  23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Is there a discography & appreciation thread?

24. dadmav

dadmav Forum Resident

so is this The Hockey Card ?

Scope J likes this.
  25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I think they only have three great albums...
    Up To Here
    Road Apples
    Fully Completely.
    The rest of their catalogue is okay to mediocre with a couple of
    great tunes on them.
    Glen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.