Trane: A Love Supreme Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

And it's finally here. John Coltrane's fantastic 1965 jazz masterpiece A LOVE SUPREME has finally made it out with remastered sound and bonus tracks, and most welcome by any Trane lover. For now, just the short form:

Disc 1: the original album. The extensive liner notes explain the problem with the previous CD edition. To quote: "All previous digital incarnations of A LOVE SUPREME have been derived from a 1971 second-generation master tape. While this tape did not suffer from the processing and alterations that noise reduction systems cause, it did add equalization and compression to the original recording and had an inexplicable flaw in the left channel during the first three minutes of "Pursuance." The tape was not physically flawed, so it must be assumed that the problem was caused by the 1971 transfer process." The notes go on to explain the master used this time was "A March 1965 master...found at EMI's London vaults ..." It can be assumed then, this is also a second generation tape, but one that, as noted, was not Eq'd and compressed. It shows, too: a much more immediate, clearer, smoother sound, overall. Any anomalies are very minor, which was certainly not true of the previous CD.
    The indexing has changed. The previous CD has three indexes. This time, there are four, because "Pursuance" and "Psalm" are separated.
    Apparently a first generation tape no longer exists, so we can also infer multi-track tapes are also lost. Hope this wasn't another ABC dump job; what a tragedy that would be...all tracks stereo here; wonder what happened to the mono mix of the Lp(or should I ask?)

Disc 2: All mono. The first official release of the only live performance of the album, from the 7/26/65 Antibes Jazz Festival. These are listed as 'receiving their first authorized release'[translation: boots exist overseas]and first US release, and for their age, not only sound pretty fair for a live mono recording of the vintage...but the bass! Really had to run to reduce the woofer level on this section; very intense. Amazing how close at times Trane kept to the music despite its complexity and relative newness(even to him). Track 6--"Resolution"--comes from THE CLASSIC QUARTET--
    COMPLETE IMPULSE STUDIO RECORDINGS. The final three are previously unreleased, the last two the legendary version of "Acknowledgment" with Archie Shepp on tenor sax and Art Davis on bass. These are the versions I always assumed Trane referenced in the original liner notes as 'regrettably will not be released at this time.' Who knew it would take THIS long....
    Soundwise, the studio tapes--taken from Trane's own mono reference reels he kept himself--are not great; dropouts and a general lack of brightness plague them, but history is, after all, History and it's a joy to finally hear them, though not as would have been offered had the stereo tapes survived. The live material is generally in fair shape, again not as bright as anything on Disc 1, but the performance should keep fans enthralled for years to come.

Rudy Van Gelder once again remastered, with studio production by Michael Cuscuna; the usual pair who've done their best to preserve the Impulse! catalog.
    Ashley Kahn wrote the liner notes, and on the back of the booklet is a plug for the book A LOVE SUPREME: THE STORY OF JOHN COLTRANE'S SIGNATURE ALBUM. Another must.

Packaging: Similar to VU & NICO, BLIND FAITH and MY GENERATION special editions. Very classy. Wonder if somebody will do a vinyl?

ED :cool:

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thanks for the review...I have been wondering which tapes would be used for the first disc as I also heard the first gen tape was missing. What I am wondering now is which tape they are planning on using to produce the DSD master for the upcoming SACD?

Anyone have an idea?

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

At least they have not made a big mistake with the tracklisting on this one as they did on COLTRANE (DELUXE EDITION). Track 9 on disc 2, 'Big Nick' is actually a tune that's found on DUKE ELLINGTON AND JOHN COLTRANE and was not recorded with the classic quartet nor was it recorded during the COLTRANE sessions.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'd like to know this too ... I was going to wait for the SACD but the new 2-CD set is tempting too. It's a bit odd they've chosen to put them out one right after the other, isn't it?

5. Ed Bishop

:sigh: Same here, guys...but I suspect they must have tracked down the best tape they could find. I mean, if multis did exist, RVG could certainly make a faithful remix, after all he's been there since day one. And if there were a better US tape, it's buried beyond reach at this time. As is, would probably make a fine enough SACD, since I wasn't expecting multi-channel anyway. If you're only interested in the original Lp contents, the SACD will suit you fine...but I really dig Disc 2, mono sound and sometimes messy tape condition notwithstanding. Any Trane lover will find this too hard to resist. And I've gotta track down that book, too.

ED:cool:

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Speakers Corner just issued a vinyl release of A Love Supreme. I haven't heard any comments here though.

7. Matt

Matt New Member

SACD has been pegged for November 26 of this year. Couldn't find any mention of a mastering engineer.

8. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Man, I went everywhere, today, looking for this CD. Where have ya'll found it. My Circuit City and Best Buy gave me the glazed WTF look when I mentioned that I was looking for it.

9. Mike V

Mike V New Member

KBanya,

Where in CT are you? I saw copies at Best Buy in West Hartford and Newington. They may have sold out since though.

10. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Fairfield County

11. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the SACD mastering was done at the same time. There have been numerous instances where a DSD transfer has been made at the same time as the CD mastering, and the CD beats it to market by many months.

12. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Hmm, I used to live in Shelton for years. But all the stores that were once there are now some other big chain. I would try the chain stores along Route 1 in Milford and Orange if you're not too far west to make it not worth your while.

Good luck!
    Mike

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I wonder if Verve/Impulse will eventually rerelease the "Complete John Coltrane Quartet Studio recordings" with all the "Previously Unreleased" tracks from these 3 deluxe editions, or re-title the box set. I haven't bought these latest remasters because of all the $$$ I shelled out for the box.

14. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

too, there's a new tower records off of high ridge road in stamford, off the merritt pkwy. Call the jazz/classical section and ask if they have it.

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

That glazed look is not uncommon at Circuit City! :D

16. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Kevin Reeves.

17. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Hi Neighbors!

OK - I finally found it. NOT CHEAP! But I see Best Buy was going to charge $27.99 for it anyway.

Tower in Stamford...know it well. Their prices are absurd! They do have it ALL though...I use them as a last resort.

18. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I'm right behind you K... Can't wait to hear this one after the comments! Thanks Ed.

19. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I thought it was only me and a couple of my friends/family. Up here we call it "staring into the eyes of a chicken". I get that look weekly when I go into HMV, A+B Sound, and Future Shop (now owned by Best Buy) armed with the latest copy of Ice magazine, or a list I've drawn up from some ideas here.

Well, I think I'll jump into the Explorer and drive over to A+B Sound to check for the Coltrane. I'll let you know what happens. :laugh:

Attached Files:

20. I just got off the phone with a very young sounding woman at A+B Sound's main store, jazz dept. Oh, if there were only video phones. I could feel the WTF glazed, staring into the eys of a chicken look over the phone as I ever so nicely and slowly explain the Coltrane Deluxe Edition to her. As I was doing this, I could hear her immediately go to the computer and frantically type in some information. :laugh: :laugh: She says they don't have it, but I think going to drive down anyway and check for myself. I was hoping to save myself a trip as it has been snowing here in Calgary for two days, and is very cold for this time of year.

21. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

They had it at Tower on The Ave in Seattle for $27.99.

22. Ed Bishop

:rolleyes: FWIW, it's funny what you can find in the strangest places these days. I got my copy from my brother at Coconuts, but I made sure weeks in advance to let him know so I'd have one(he did say--and he is always honest--that his pre-release list indicated the store was being sent a copy). What surprised me was that both K-Mart & WalMart stocked the VU deluxe package; that blew me away. Rarely have I seen much of their catalog(maybe the single-disc comp)in such family-oriented stores. Collectables has also turned up here and there, some 2-fers and comps, ones that are probably at least decent in sound. One thing I think may help SACD immensely is if the hybrid format becomes the norm; in a way, Abkco's marketing plan and use of hybrid was a stroke of genius, because everybody had to carry some titles, because it was the Stones. A question for the gang: are there any SACD multi/stereo/hybrids yet? I don't have one, but the idea is sound. As long as a fan with a regular CD player can access the disc, it would also make the multi-channel discs more affordable and more likely to be available in a small town like mine.

23. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Yes ed they exist....

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Guys, I bought my ALS SE today at the Tower in Marina del Rey (LA area) for $22.99! I didn't even know it was on sale until I got to the register (it was marked for $27.99).

I've listened to the second disc only so far...the live version is exquisite and very different from the studio version recording from 6 months earlier. Tyner and Elvin are on fire! The recording itself sounds great, even in mono. I actually think I like it more this way as the studio version has the rather harsh sax-in-one-channel arrangement that mars a lot of his albums for me. The Shepp versions are very interesting too.

25. Ed Bishop

:D Disc 2 is a real keeper.The mono seems to help balance the music, to give each player fair space. The stereo ALS is, short of SACD, the best so far. Just better all around the sound spectrum. I'm still stunned at how clean and clear the mono live material was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.