Trane: A Love Supreme Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Damn...I'm havin' fits here! I went to Circuit City and, alas, no Coltrane Deluxe to be found. Arrggghh!

Help...need........Coltrane..... :sigh:

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

About time to tell Sony WE exist, maybe...

ED
    :cool:

3. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

What???? Then they will think more then "20 people have an SACD player"..ha . I mean you are talking about the company that just a little while ago finally gave up BETA. Mind you they never admitted it failed in any way, just that it had run its course of profitably. hahahaha...

:D

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

So i take it from the above posts, that the deluxe edition is worth seeking out, even if I have the complete quartet recordings box set on Impluse?

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Is this deluxe edition the same like the others from Universal... I mean packaging???

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Claus, same packaging.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Thanks... I didn't know UMG started with Jazz deluxe editions?!?

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Yes! The Shepp outtakes and the live recordings are fascinating - neither of which appear on the "complete" box set.

9. krabapple

krabapple New Member

You know, ording online would really save you guys a lot of trouble, and possibly some money as well.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"I'm sorry, John who?...'kay, I'm sorry but I'll have to look this one up...in the meantime, let me put you on hold and you can listen to some of the new uGLEEboyz™ release we're pushing this week..."

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I always try to support my local mom & pop record store before going to a Best Buy or Circuit City. However, I tried to save myself some time yesterday by checking the Best Buy and Circuit City stores by my house for this title and neither of them had it. I traveled a few extra miles to my local mom & pop record store and sure enough, they had it.

I have learned my lesson that most Best Buys never have catalog titles on the day of their release (Circuit City is a little better in this department). About the only thing they are good for is new (first week) and bonus disc releases. Ten years ago, I had about ten mom and pop record stores around my locale, saddenly only two are left.

12. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I have no Mom and Pop store close, the nearest one is forty miles.

13. Ed Bishop

Most mall outlets are good for DVDs, little more...they also have a curious habit of not re-ordering catalog no matter how many times somebody comes in asking for something. 1,000 copies of Britney, maybe 5 Trane titles in the jazz section, if you're lucky. Mom & Pops tend to pay attention to that sort of thing, because they tend to be run by music lovers who know what they're selling...and put up with the newer crap to pay the rent and electricity. And of course M&P's also carry tons of used titles, which I notice up here Strawberry's and Coconuts are now doing...they have to pay rent, too, since like cockroaches you can't get rid 'em.

ED:cool:

14. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

The Circuit City I work at has it......at least I think they do. :)

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Got this in hand...will be giving it a listen this weekend. I'm really looking forward to disc 2 and hope to give some opinions over the weekend. Anyone else get this recently?

16. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

I like Van Gelder’s ’50s and ’60s sound, but the ever-popular RVG re-mastered series with its smooshed dynamics makes me crazy (I've harped too much about this over at the Blue Note BB). Unfortunately, I can’t imagine anybody but Rudy re-mastering the SACD since he did the Deluxe Edition, but if he conducts himself in DSD as he does in Redbook, A Love Supreme will cause a shriek obscene. Personally, I’d feel a whole lot better if this wasn’t Rudy’s fledgling SACD effort.

Eh, maybe they threw McMaster a DSD bone?

17. Ed Bishop

So you're saying you have a problem with the deluxe edition?

18. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

To be fair, I haven’t heard the CD. At this point, frankly, I’ve been burned by RVG’s re-masters too often and, as a rule, avoid his re-issue work. There are exceptions; Rollin’s Live at the Village Vanguard is superior to the earlier CD version (less distortion, less reverb). But Van Gelder somehow developed a die-hard following for his current shenanigans, so I doubt he would change gears now.

19. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

What’s truly depressing? I’m afraid Rudy is probably at the helm of the delayed Blue Train SACD as well. Man, but would I love to eat these words. Time will tell.

20. Ed Bishop

That Rollins CD is a must for any fan; very nice sound, great performance.
    As to the ALS deluxe, you know most of the details if you've checked the thread out. RVG did remaster it, but he didn't take any great liberties that I can hear. The second disc, as noted, is problematic anyway, since the mono live tape was found in France, while the outtakes were from Trane's private stash and not in great shape, but wonderful fun for historical purposes alone. They used the best tape they could find for the album's remaster, and I can't find much fault with it; it's just not first generation. I do find myself doing a little(but subtle)Eq'ing of my own, but that's just to punch up a few things I always thought were kind of buried in the mix anyway. The bottom line is this: we're probably never going to hear ALS as good as the stone mint original '65 Impulse! vinyl pressing(wish I had one!). The original multis and master tape seem to have vanished forever, so we have to live with this. It's an improvement over the GRT CD edition, so if you love the album it's worth it despite any flaws you might catch.

I've been wondering about the BLUE TRAIN SACD too. Hope somebody comes into the thread if they have any info on the delay. BTW, I like being wrong on things like this too! Nothing better than being surprised--no, delighted--by something you thought had a good chance to just suck.

Best,

21. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

Wish I had the vinyl of… anything. I’ve a Dual 721 turntable with limited edition Audio Techinca cartridge, but the drive’s RPMs are slightly more than 33-1/3. Maybe one of these days I’ll see if it’s worth getting fixed (if it can be). Sadly, my taste in music underwent a drastic change 20-some years ago, so even if I’d kept the platters —well, I do still have some Firesign Theatre on vinyl.

The original ALS tapes may be lost to history, but the re-masterer’s invisible hand can make such a difference. Even if from x-generation sources! Who knows? Perhaps Van Gelder will buck the trend and make the most of DSD?

By the way, thanks for the opening repartee, Ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.