Transformation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

It's just a thought, and I know that there are many who will not agree with me, but two songs that I've never liked before became rather special this weekend.

Tell Me It's Not Over, the flip of Some Kinda Fun by Chris Montez. I hated it when I was 13 - it sounded soppy, and I only put up with it for a few moments before taking the needle off and never playing it again.

I got the Monogram Sides disc from Ace - mixed and mastered by you know whom, and just for a laugh I programmed the track to play. Fabulous simple stereo with Chris central, organ to the right, and remaining instrumentation to the left - the whole thing comes to life and sounds so great that I played it another half dozen times in succession.

The other song, Man Of The World by Fleetwood Mac, I've encountered on far too many 60's compilations, and felt it suitable for playing at a funeral. However, along comes this DVD - The Sixties DVD Jukebox. And there in glorious DTS surround sound - probably a discrete quadraphonic mix - is Man Of The World, and far from being the weakest track on the DVD it becomes magic, a whole new dimension. The video aspect is mediocre, but who cares! (Incidentally, superb tracks from The Who and from The Small Faces, not to mention a brilliant live rendition of Ferry 'Cross The Mersey from Gerry & The Pacemakers make the DVD well worth getting)

The old mono might be authentic, provided you've got the media correct as well - i.e. a 60's record player with a pulley driven turntable and a ceramic cartridge, or the medium wave on an old valve wireless - but in the new format with divided channels the listening pleasure has increased exponentially. Let there be a lot more !!!

2. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

:D Hey! I'm likin' what this guy's sayin'!!!:D

You are right. That Chris Montez is exciting to hear (all the tracks). Though it still would have been okay in mono, hearing the stereo detail revealed in the songs makes it come alive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.