Trio 3 album Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton Linda Ronstadt new this year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Patsyfan1, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsyfan1

Patsyfan1 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

During her CMT Hot 20 Countdown interview that premiered Saturday to promote the 30th anniversary opening of Dollywood, Dolly revealed for the first time that a third installment of her supergroup albums with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris as The Trio will soon be released. Although the final release date has yet to be set, she said it is expected to come out later this year. She noted that they thought the project was to have been released two or three years ago, but it was delayed, although she just very recently received word from Harris and Ronstadt that everyone had signed off on its release. It isn't known whether the album is “new” material recorded prior to Ronstadt's 2011 retirement (similar to how their second album was recorded about four years prior to its eventual release), if it is a gathering of the various unreleased tracks that they recorded over the years, or some combination of both. Although both Dolly and Harris remain active, Ronstadt's last studio album was released in 2006, followed only by two individual tracks on others' albums in 2007 and 2010 prior to her full retirement from music in 2011 and the 2013 revelation that she had been diagnosed with Parkinson's and the disease had progressed to the point where she could no longer sing. The Trio met in the mid-1970s when Dolly learned both other artists, who were relative newcomers, idolized her. They appeared on Dolly's syndicated television show together and recorded several tracks for an album which never came to be. After appearing on each other's albums in guest roles, the three managed to record and release a full album in 1987 which went to No. 1 country and No. 6 pop, garnering a Grammy Award and platinum status, while their follow-up came out in 1999 and went to No. 4 country and No. 62 pop, garnering a Grammy Award and gold status.

2. Patsyfan1

Well who knows what songs will be included on this album. Maby New tracks or maby older songs from their unreleased album, recorded in 1978.....?

Longtime friends and admirers of one another, Parton, Ronstadt and Harris first attempted to record an album together in the mid-1970s, but scheduling conflicts and other difficulties (including the fact that the three women all recorded for different record labels) prevented its release. Some of the fruits of those aborted 1970s recording sessions did make it onto the women's respective solo recordings. "Mister Sandman" and "Evangeline" appeared on Harris' album Evangeline a...nd Parton's "My Blue Tears" was included on Ronstadt's 1982 album Get Closer. Rodney Crowell's "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" was on Harris' Blue Kentucky Girl album. Parton and Ronstadt also recorded a version of the traditional ballad "I Never Will Marry", which appeared on Ronstadt's 1977 Simple Dreams album, though that was recorded separately from these sessions. (During this time, Ronstadt and Harris also covered a number of Parton's compositions—Harris covered "Coat of Many Colors" and "To Daddy", and Ronstadt recorded "I Will Always Love You"—for inclusion on their various solo albums during the mid- to late-1970s.) Brian Ahern produced the album, and it had a more Electric sound than the other Trio albums that woyld be released in 1987 an 1999. They did not agree on the sound and Linda said that Brian Ahern was controlling them a bit in a direction they did not wanna go. At the time all thre of the Girls was more into Country/Rock/Pop than their later work ( the more folk acustic sound).
    In a Recent Interview said:This year also marks the 25th anniversary of Harris' first "Trio" album with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton. The Grammy Award-winning, chart-topping collaboration will be celebrated with a box set that will combine it and 1999's "Trio 2" as well as session outtakes from the abortet album, that Harris says "might be a real nice surprise for people
    Song List:
    - Even Cowgirls get the Blues
    - My Blue Tears
    - Bury me beneath the weaping Willow
    - Palms of Victory
    - Mister Dandman
    - Light Of the Stable
    - Honky Tonk Blues
    - I will never marry
    -Unknown.

Greenalishi and melstapler like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

These three really bring out the best in one another, pulling each other towards their roots. I look forward to this.
    Did they ever do live performances to support any of these releases? I know that's not a possibility now.

budwhite, Jarleboy and starduster like this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That sounds odd. If they had been recording together, I think it would have been reported.

5. Patsyfan1

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Maybe not. Mainstream music news doesn't really report on country, unless they have a separate country division (i.e. Rolling Stone), and those country news divisions don't report on anyone who isn't hyper-current, unless someone got arrested. It wouldn't be difficult for these three to have recorded together at some point in the last decade without anyone really reporting it. It's also likely that if these were new recordings, much of it may have been recorded separately.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Linda was not exactly a newcomer by the mid-1970s.....

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. Patsyfan1

True but she had her big breakthrough with Heart like a Weel in 1974, and thats how Emmylou got a record deal as well.... Her previous albums with the Stone Ponys and her other solo albums did not sir up the charts, well maby " Different Drum " so for a lot of fans and music people Linda was a newcomber in the popular music ....we did not hear much of Emmylou before 1975 either.. But she also released " Gliding Bird " in 1969 ,and a soundtrack for a movie " Paddy " and more singles like " All the Kings Horses " under the name as " Hanna Brown " stilll they called her a newcomer with her release" Pieces of the Sky " in 1975... As for Dolly Parton who started to record in 1958 as a local child star, got her big breakthrough in 1974 after appearing on Porter Wagner shows and albums.... All three of the girls has been in music buisniss for some years.. But still they also see the 70s as the era when things started rolling....

rockledge likes this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can't wait :cheers:

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

There was talk a few years back of a Trio boxset that was going to include unreleased tracks to be released by Rhino. Wonder if this is something from that. I doubt it'll be new music honestly.

11. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Didn't Linda appear on Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash TV shows in the early '70s?

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I suggest a 3cd Box called: A Trio of Trio

13. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I have Trio 1 and 2 so this good news for me.Been going through Linda's back catalogue recently and fell in love with her voice all over again.'Telling Me Lies' off that first album has some of the most beautiful harmonies I've ever heard.
    [​IMG]
    Not bad on the eyes either...

starduster, Galley, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  14. Patsyfan1

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Patsyfan1 likes this.
  16. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thanks for the link. Pre-ordered! Really looking forward to this release. Hope a tracklisting pops up soon..

18. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Not a whole lot of new there.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Good lord I missed that track listing at first view.. Idk though. Looks pretty exciting to me.

Patsyfan1 and Torontotom like this.
  20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I agree, D-rock - it looks great!

Patsyfan1 and D-rock like this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Interesting to note (from Duane Gordon over at Dollymania.net) ...

...Although it is called “complete,” the collection appears to be missing several Trio tracks: the “Light Of The Stable” Christmas single that featured the Trio plus Neil Young, the 1978 recording “Palms Of Victory” which made Harris' 2007 Songbird boxed set, “Evangeline” from Harris' 1981 album of the same name, “My Blue Tears” from Ronstadt's 1982 album Get Closer and multiple tracks from Harris' 1985 album The Ballad Of Sally Rose...

22. Patsyfan1

Thats true but " Light of the Stable " was recorded in 1076, before the Trio was a Group it was released as a single... at the time they where not Trio yet..... They did record again in 1977 and then they recorded the songs " Evangeline, Even Cowgirls get the blues, Mr Sandman, Blue Tears.. But that album was nevere released..... The Ballad of Sally Rose Project was never intended for the Trio Projects.. that was Emmylous solo album and was ment as a consept album.. On the Tracks on " ballad of Sally Rose " where Linda and Dolly are singing, there are also other backup singers and its a tro part they are doing... Its not easy to hear that its Trio who are singing on that album
    "Palms" Of Victory " was a outtake and not planned for any released... just practising around the mic

D-rock likes this.
  23. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

I'd always wondered what had happened to the Trio Box Set. Glad this is getting a release and next month there's a remastered Ronstadt compilation "Just One Look" scheduled as well.

D-rock and bonus like this.
  24. sszorin

sszorin Forum Resident

11 [!] unreleased songs is "not a whole lot" for you ?

Torontotom and D-rock like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Can't find this and the Amazon link doesn't work any more. Wonder what's going on??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.