Trio KD-1033 What would be the current equivalent?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lord Rocker, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was happily gifted a mint KD-1033 in perfect working order recently and was blown away! Amazing!

I have a Pioneer Pl-550 in perfect working order and it betters this in many ways. In comparison the Pioneer sounds clinical and closed with tubby bass. I was always happy with it prior to using the Trio. Bass and well everything just fills the room to a greater degree. Sibilance is greatly reduced also. I'm using the same cart and headshell on both btw,

So I was wondering how this seemingly modest TT would stack up against current decks? I say modest however this a well made Japanese TT with high quality components and wouldn't be cheap to buy as a new item today.

I've just bought an Ortofon 2M Blue and hoping this works well on both. We shall see!

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

3. Lord Rocker

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There isn't anything equivalent to that nowadays. Kenwood stopped making turntables a long time ago and I'm not aware of any Japanese company making suspended decks similar to that 1033.

In general, suspended decks are somewhat out of fashion though there are plenty of people that still use vintage suspended models. Also a few suspended turntable manufacturers in the UK/Europe still selling designs that have been around for decades.

A brand like Kenwood would've been known best for their DD decks, not belt drive. That's not to say that isn't a decent turntable. If you like it, just stick with it, and don't worry about anything else unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and want to try something else.

5. Lord Rocker

Why did suspended decks become obsolete? Is it purely an aesthetic thing or is there a design flaw that is inherent with suspended decks that made them undesirable?

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

They aren't obsolete, but there are far fewer turntables made nowadays than back in the 70s, so there are far fewer suspended decks. But Thorens, Linn, Perpetuum Ebner, SOTA, EAT, Pro-Ject, and some of the real high-end brands still make suspended tables, though the EAT/Pro-Ject decks just use elastomer suspension. It's just less common in the lower end decks now. STST Motus II very high end suspended direct drive table below ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

They aren't obsolete. Just a different design that not every manufacturer uses anymore. Big thing is suspended decks can be sensitive to footfalls if not sited and set up correctly. A non-suspended deck doesn't have that problem, depending on the environment and specific deck. A suspended deck also uses more parts, and is therefore more expensive to make.

Lord Rocker likes this.
  8. Lord Rocker

SO....you're essentially saying that my Trio is a high end table? ; )

9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Compared to something like a U-turn, or other modern entry level decks that are just a piece of MDF and cheap motor, sure, but compared to what you can get from a real high end table, no, not very high end :)

Lord Rocker likes this.
  10. Lord Rocker

Now that's a stunning piece of equipment!

11. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Trio was the brand name in the UK, possibly other territories too.

I had one of those back in the day. Really good starter to intermediate deck.

Lord Rocker and patient_ot like this.
  12. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Yes, Trio in the UK. Popular together with the Sansui SR222 before the Dual 505-* became dominant. The Rega Planar 2 and Planar 3 were generally regarded as offering better sound.

Lord Rocker likes this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

It looks like a CEC built turntable. That's not a bad thing as CEC was building turntables fro quite a few of the big names back in the 70s. Here's a pic of a CEC BD-1000:
    [​IMG]
    I had a Realistic LAB 300 which was also identical, very nice turntable.

jonwoody, bever70 and Lord Rocker like this.
  14. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, the Trio preceded the Regas on the market by .... 5 years? 7? 10?

15. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

If you really like your table perhaps seek out a Kenwood higher up the line. They’re out there at reasonable prices. I have the Kenwood KD 770D here in L.A. as my stereo table, purchased through Craigslist for $300. I only had to replace the damaged dustcover which I did for $140 through a custom builder on Ebay. I’ve also purchased two additional OEM headshells. They’re expensive though, being rare and hard to find except from Japan sellers. The 770D is direct drive with electronic cueing and auto stop-auto lift, I love it.

[​IMG]

Back in New York I have the Kenwood KD 5070 D purchased via Craig’s Iist for $250. This table can run fully automatic or manual, and has their stone composite on the top half of the plinth. I currently have a HOMC Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO on it and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

Lord Rocker and timind like this.
  17. Lord Rocker

Thanks but I really don't need to. I'm not new to listening to music on a TT. I've owned many. Some high spec and others just because they look beautiful. They've nearly all been good. My Pioneer Pl-550 is fantastic but the soundstage opens up on the TRIO and bass is so much more impactful and musical also. Everything sounds just right and I am picky. The fact that after putting on a new belt it plays without a hitch is also very appealing. The only thing i would consider is upgrading the tonearm wiring and the phono cables but it doesn't sound as though it needs it. It's a beautiful thing and I feel very lucky to own it.

DigMyGroove and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.