"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Oh my - 'I Could Have Told You' is lovely! His singing is just superb!

ssmith3046 and Bemagnus like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The thing is-at least for me that both Shadows and Angels have become true favourites. My firm belief is that these albums will be regarded as classics long after everything is said and done. There is a timeless feel that makes it a rather unique listening experience. Once one got used to Dylans voice tackling these songs his masterful deliveries becomes a true highlight. Listening to his voice in front with the shimmering back up music gives me the same feeling as when enjoying Chet Baker or Billie Holiday(to name a few). It s even more remarkable given the fact that I and many others thought Dylans voice was permanently shot before this project started.
    Imo Dylan-just as he said-uncover these old songs and give them a life and meaning far behind the more traditional lounge-versions we were used to.
    With the above said I agree it would be great with some new material. But even if that won t happen I sincerely believe that Dylans rendition of the great american songbook is a worthy even valuable part of his legacy.
    So Im really lookin forward to this surprising release. Even more so since I will attend a Dylan concert in an intimate setting in Stockholm 1 april
    Good on ya Bob
    :)

JoeF., augustboy, AmosM and 16 others like this.
  3. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Theres a Flaw In my Flue?? --that's a song Frank Sinatra recorded as a joke to see if the record execs were really listening.. perhaps the joke is going full circle?

4. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Bob bring it on.
    Bob, If you have the Frank Sinatra standards out of your system, I will be ready for slew of old blues standards.

5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

As much as I enjoy these 'covers' albums, I'm really thankful for The Bootleg Series, without those...

6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would prefer another "Standards" set above a new album with original songs or ANY Bootleg Series.

Just sayin'....

quicksrt, Muddy, ailgin and 9 others like this.
  7. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

In a way that is the case.... :)

I hope Bob will get out of this phase very soon. I can't stand to listen to the last two albums, even though I love both Dylan and Sinatra.

8. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Yikes.

bluesbro and majorlance like this.
  9. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Preorder for vinyl:
    Bob Dylan - Triplicate (Deluxe Limited Edition LP) - Amazon.com Music ยป

I'm in the camp that loves this body of work, which is why I already preordered it. That said, FIVE records of it will be more than enough. I'll take one or two more original albums if possible Mr. Dylan!

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

At least it's not a triple album of Xmas songs.

11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why?

majorlance likes this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Could be worse I guess, could be 36 cds of standard covers!

13. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

OK Bob......we get the point you like Sinatra songs, but you won't get me handing over cash to listen to them.

Musicisthebest and majorlance like this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have to admit that I struggled with the last couple of albums. It's Dylan, so I have to accept and respect that he will do something unexpected and different. I didn't think Shadows was anywhere nearly as good as many reviewers thought it was. I thought Dylan had done his tribute, so I was very disappointed that the next album was similar, and it had a similar effect on me. So I need to ask, why is there the need to release another album of standards (and a triplicate at that)? What is it to achieve?

I'm not angry that Dylan's not writing new material. Cohen did until his last breath, and I would hope that Dylan can start writing again. But I will understand if he doesn't have inspiration for new material, he doesn't have it at the moment. If he wants/needs to give tribute to his influencers, so be it. But how about giving tribute to other styles of music? He's given tribute to folk, country and blues artists at various times in earlier years, and may not want to go there again. So why not make a rockability or rock covers album? Or some of the other incredible variety of musical styles he played on Theme Time Radio Hour? There is a lot of music out there to be given tribute to. No need to repeat the last album, and no need to repeat the previous album (in triplicate).

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I bet those who were anti-Daniel Lanois are hoping that Bob was recording with Dan. Maybe...

duggan and razorball like this.
  16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Triplicate is a bit of an odd name, since it means "three the same". But maybe the name refers to the series

Shadows - Fallen - This one

as well as hinting at the number of LPs.

Tim

17. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Thanks, Bemagnus for that great comment.
    Bob needs to pay homage to the things that inspire(d) him.
    ...as long as it's not another Triumph motorcycle.
    (have fun in Stockholm)
    KC

Bemagnus likes this.
  18. Kwai Chang

I just want to know what kind of coffee Dylan drinks...
    What a pace!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'm shocked, I like this a bit.
    maybe I'm just overly tired, that's it...

a 3 CD set of this stuff? wow.

20. Kwai Chang

To be honest...
    I WAS panicked when I saw Stardust and Sentimental Journey on the list.
    I thought it was a Ringo Starr connection.
    (It didn't last long)

arthurprecarious likes this.
  21. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I suppose he might be getting the writer's block out of the way. Allegedly happened with the acoustic albums back in the 90's......

22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

well, Bob turned me onto this Sinatra song I'd never heard before.
    now Bob's doesn't sound as good to me as before - not terrible,
    but Sinatra was The Voice...

23. Kwai Chang

I don't know too much Sinatra.
    Maybe Bob wants us to check Frank out.
    Or, this could just be cutting edge pre-game.
    At least there won't be 18 months of thread before release date.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. I liked the previous 2 standards albums, but 3 more albums of those may be too much of a good thing.

25. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I enjoy Bob attempting Songbook standards in small doses. I adore Songbook classics, but they are best left to people who truly know how to sing them, like Sinatra, and in this case, Tony Bennett's exquisite reading of this.