"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wow.....GOBS of Sinatra songs there, some well off the beaten path.

D.B. and Bob F like this.
  2. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

I truly believe the man only cares that we acknowledge it.
    It isn't that he wants us to listen to any version of any song.
    He wants music to remain more important than just-a-memory.
    In other words, he is giving us enough product that the industry might just feel obliged to him.
    If the ship's going down, this man is bailing water with 2 buckets.
    Phenomenal!

brianvargo, Sean, RobCos02330 and 3 others like this.
  3. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I guess in these dark days Bob lacks both inspiration and enthusiasm. The he was young music could actually inspire change. Nowadays it is hopeless, at best preaching to the people who shared his vision. So instead of releasing something half baked new he prefers to concentrate on songs before his time- Classics - you or I don't have to buy or listen to it. Bob does not need to prove a point and got more than enough money esp. given the fact he is not in his 20ies. He loves to play music-live AND in the studio. People dd not appreciate his 2 Blues cover albums initially but soon found out, that some of his strongest songs he recorded in the 80ies (before OH MERCY) can be found there. Plus time treats those cover albums better than say OH MERCY. He wrote so many classic songs and so many good songs-more than any other artist I can think off. Maybe BRUCE will one day come close.
    So let's wait for the product before bashing it, Sure I would prefer a NEW MORNING orBlonde On Blonde but times are not the same anymore and BOB is nearly 80 years old, not 25..

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I will probably eventually buy this (it is Dylan, after all), but after the previous two albums I won't be rushing out to get it. After a few months I would anticipate quite a few as-new quality turning up cheap on the 2nd-hand marketplace.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Is that the actual album cover, or a placeholder at Amazon.com? If that's the real deal, it shows about zero effort.

Sean and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Ella's versions aint too shabby.

Fritz G23, Sordel and majorlance like this.
  7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Other than thematically, curious why this needs to be three cds. It'll probably clock in around 100 minutes.

johnaltman, Thelonious_Cube and rod like this.
  8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I'm attracted to Dylan and his words... someone else's words in wavering croaks isn't gonna' cut it. I'll pass on this one as I have on the last two... a milestone for me.

9. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I like Bob's treatments of the Great American Songbook, as they remind me of the Stardust, Over The Rainbow, Willie & Leon albums, by Willie Nelson.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

ALL of them, except "Braggin'".

11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

He is doing a great job of these songs. It isn't about Sinatra, these are the songs EVERYBODY was doing in the days before rock and roll, really until the Beatles. They are incredible songs, and they were interpreted by all of the best and most of the worst. Bob isn't paying tribute to anyone, though, he is paying tribute to the songs, to the somgwrtiting he admires, and doing them his way. If it reminds me of anyone it is Hoagy Charmichael's recordings of his own songs.

12. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

My two cents -- discounted today at only one copper penny! -- is that I bought Fallen Angels somewhat dutifully, after Shadows in the Night had left little impression on me, and then was surprised to find how much I was enjoying Fallen Angels. Indeed I probably liked it more than Tempest or Together Through Life. So, I guess if Triplicate is what Bob's in the mood for, that's what I'm up for too. Better that than trying to force out an album of new material he's not fully committed to.

supermd, D.B., jacethecrowl and 4 others like this.
  13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

makes me yearn for Empire Burlesque.

14. Kwai Chang

Knowing Bob, it's probably part of a bigger plan.
    Keep it coming, Bob.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  15. Kwai Chang

That album's got a tight connection to my heart
    (Empire Burlesque)

groundharp likes this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like the last two quite a bit but they work better for me in small doses. Full albums of it from him tend to blur it all together in one smear, where cherry picking one or two is like a beautiful end credits to a film, like the third man and the falling leaves. Not sure how I feel about three more lps of it. I like the song selection but it may be too much of a good thing.

minibreakfast and Kwai Chang like this.
  17. Kwai Chang

All now...
    or BOOTLEG Series later

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The amazon U.K. preorder is much cheaper (for the deluxe lp set) than the amazon us link. It's about $55 (£41.66 after VAT removal) vs $67, fwiw....

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So were all five lps worth recorded in one wild weekend?

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He didn't record any blues covers albums in the 80s. He did record 2 traditional folk albums in the 90s.

There have been covers throughout his career, first album, Self Portrait, Dylan (!), Down in the Groove, Good as I Have Been to You, World Gone Wrong and now 5 (FIVE!) standards albums. In all cases except the first one he was probably dried up songwriting wise. Hope he has it in him to manage one more self penned album before the inevitable.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm in. Three record set preordered. Love that Bob!

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

24. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I think they're focusing on 3 albums of studio recordings...

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Can't wait to hear the album, but is that the cover? If so, yikes.