"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. The whole thing could actually fit on ONE side but not many people admit to that fact! ;)

2. I'm the total opposite. I'm usually in complete agreement with the 'general' consensus on these things, but of course, not always. There are exceptions. For one example, I completely lost the will to read that many reviews of SITN. I think the reviews were largely out-of-touch and ridiculous. I guess that might be the one time you did actually agree with them?

bluesbro likes this.
  3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Things Have Changed. In the golden days of the 70's we had some great writers/critics who loved music so much that they wote with passion and enthusiasm even when they didnt like what they heard. People like Charles Shaar Murray, Nick Kent, Ian McDonald, Julie Burchill all wrote from the heart. Today i don't believe what they write. Its a guide but when Uncut give Dylan's "Together Through Life" a 5 star review something is wrong. We need critics but we need em to be honest.

4. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

This interview got me interested in the new album.
    I'd actually probably be even more interested to hear the audio from this interview! Some poetic, classic Dylanesque moments in there.

5. I'd agree with this and especially given the critics mentioned although I'd add Andy Gill and Fred Dellar to that list and perhaps delete Julie Burchill. You are spot on with your criticism of Uncut though. It is so obviously biased towards Dylan to the point that its reviews have been genuinely pointless and misguided. Most albums post-Time Out Of Mind have received 5 stars, which is fair enough when they've been utterly brilliant but "Together Through Life" and especially "Shadows In The Night" most definitely do not deserve the accolades received.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  6. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Reminds me of the story of the old guy driving along the motorway. His wife is at home and hears a news report that someone is driving in the wrong carriageway, against the flow of traffic. Concerned for her husband she calls him on the hands-free phone. "I thought I should warn you," she says. "Someone is driving the wrong way on the motorway."

"You are right," he replies. "In fact, they all are!"

Tim

7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

8. Anyone know why the link in NPR doesn't work for anyone outside the US?

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Was interesting to read his explanation on why he's not playing guitar with his band any more.

mark ab and shadow blaster like this.
  10. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

They never have done for me. I think this might be the same content though, just a different site. Working for me in the UK.

WHRO - First Listen: Bob Dylan, 'Triplicate'

SteveM likes this.
  11. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Jimmy B. and Heart of Gold like this.
  12. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

What a dopey non-question. Hear a little bit of young Dylan in that reply though!

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes, I love that exchange. "Who, me, a jester?" said the joker to the thief...

Tim

14. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

The Nobel is off limits it seems?

bluesbro likes this.
  15. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I really enjoyed reading the interview with Bob. As enigmatic as ever. I am really quite excited for Triplicate, even more so after reading this. Bits like this:

Up to the sixties, these songs were everywhere – now they have almost faded away. Do they mean more to you when you hear them now?

They do mean a lot more. These songs are some of the most heartbreaking stuff ever put on record and I wanted to do them justice. Now that I have lived them and lived through them I understand them better. They take you out of that mainstream grind where you’re trapped between differences which might seem different but are essentially the same. Modern music and songs are so institutionalized that you don’t realize it. These songs are cold and clear-sighted, there is a direct realism in them, faith in ordinary life just like in early rock and roll.

I like the first two standards records quite a bit. Really good stuff. I've read some people think he's trolling or bored or doesn't know what to do next or whatever, but I think there is so much sincere love in these records.

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I'd have been much more impressed had he replied Bilko, all the time, non-stop.

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Man that interview was awesome!

I was so inspired that I rushed to hear the NPR preview songs. Unfortunately, they sound exactly like the two albums he already released prior to this. I really want to like the new songs I heard from Triplicate, but I can't see myself justifying a purchase.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  19. highway

highway Forum Resident

The descriptor below your user name is Forum Pianophile. When you listened to the songs at NPR, what did you think of his comment about his piano supporting his band better than rhythm guitar would?

20. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Yeah. I don't agree with him regarding this, I miss the days when he played guitar. And about being solely a rhythm guitar player, he used to solo all the time in the 90s and early 00s. His "mathematical" soloing, as he called it in Chronicles. I think he led the band better as a guitarist.

21. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Oh but anyway it is a great read as most lengthier Dylan interviews are. And I just preordered Triplicate, standard vinyl edition. :)

22. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

mark ab likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

He's describing my life there. Except not at all.

John Rhett Thomas and Percy Song like this.
  24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

And here, folks, is "Duquesne Whistle"....

He's got a point!

25. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

This is the one answer that disappointed me a bit:

You’ve been spending a lot of time in all these old songs. Do you think the next song you write will be influenced by them?
    I doubt it. These melodies are so structured in musical theory, they’re so tricky with time signatures and shifting melodies, that it’s beyond me. It’s hard to be influenced by any of it if you’re not familiar with that world. I could be influenced by a part of a melody or a phrase, but that would be about it. I don’t think I’d be influenced by anything lyrically.

As much as I find his humility endearing, and respect his self-awareness on what his strengths and weaknesses are (for example, for all his genius, Mr. Dylan simply isn't a master of composition when it comes to sophisticated melody/countermelody, passing tones, modulations, accidentals, and so forth...at least not consciously...), I do think he's selling himself a bit short. Especially lyrically, I would expect that it would be well within his grasp to allow these standards to inform his own writing in new and unexpected ways. Actually I do expect that could happen, despite what he says. No matter what, really hope we see new originals soon...

highway and MRamble like this.