"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

...or Tony Bennett...or...

2. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Ok, I'll buy it of course. Too late to stop now.

I hope that he will release new songs after this one. If I may suggest a career move, now would be a good time to go back to the roots. You know, like protest songs?

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

4. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Amazon UK are showing two vinyl versions of it; one regular and one "Deluxe", but both containing 3 discs. What's the diff?

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I love Dylan, but have zero interest in these type of releases .

JoeRockhead and Jerryb like this.
  6. htom

htom Senior Member

The official webpage suggests the deluxe version comes in a "numbered case." So, a box while the regular version is a triple gatefold or an extra wide sleeve?

minibreakfast likes this.
  7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Numbered casing.

minibreakfast likes this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

And people keep complaining about Neil Young...

Bob ain't Frank. Nor should he try to be...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I very much look forward to this.. the last 2 covers albums were fantastic. Especially "Shadows."

10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

From Bull Moose:

CONFIGURATION: CD – 3 CDs in an 8 Panel Digi pak

CONFIGURATION: LP – 3 LPs, 180 gram in ¼” Spine Sleeve Jacket, w/ DL Card

DELUXE LIMITED EDITION LP – 3 LPs, 180 gram in Numbered Case-made Book w/ 3 Bound In Swing Pockets and Four Panel Folder, w/ DL Card

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Well Neil's new albums suck. Bob's don't.

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That could be, but that's not what it says. The Rolling Thunder Revue wasn't a compilation or greatest hits package. It was an official, stand-alone release.

13. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

When he is recording a Sinatra album in a phone booth we can talk again.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. so you say. I'll take new Neil over Bob singing somebody else any day.

JoeRockhead and lucan_g like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I haven't been so excited since news of the last Ringo Starr Live album.

:yawn:

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Bob Dylan’s First Three-Disc Album — Triplicate — Set For March 31 Release
    JAN 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

Each disc to be presented in a thematically-arranged 10-song sequence, illuminating compositions from great American songwriters interpreted by Dylan through his artistry as a vocalist, arranger and bandleader.

(Columbia Records; New York, NY; January 31, 2017) A three-disc studio album from Bob Dylan, Triplicate, will be released on March 31, featuring 30 brand-new recordings of classic American tunes and marking the first triple-length set of the artist’s illustrious career. With each disc individually titled and presented in a thematically-arranged 10-song sequence, Triplicate showcases Dylan’s unique and much-lauded talents as a vocalist, arranger and bandleader on 30 compositions by some of music’s most lauded and influential songwriters. The Jack Frost-produced album is the 38th studio set from Bob Dylan and marks the first new music from the artist since Fallen Angels, which was released in early 2016.

Triplicate will be simultaneously released in several configurations, including a 3-CD 8-Panel Digipak, a 3-LP vinyl set and a 3-LP Deluxe Vinyl Limited Edition packaged in a numbered case. Triplicate is also available for pre-order on iTunes, and one of its recordings, “I Could Have Told You,” can now be streamed via a “Vinyl Video” on YouTube.

For Triplicate, Dylan assembled his touring band in Hollywood’s Capitol studios to record hand-chosen songs from an array of American songwriters including Charles Strouse and Lee Adams (“Once Upon A Time”), Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler (“Stormy Weather”), Harold Hupfield (“As Time Goes By”) and Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh (“The Best Is Yet To Come”). The titles of the individual discs are ‘Til The Sun Goes Down, Devil Dolls and Comin’ Home Late.

[​IMG]

The artist’s two previous albums of classic American songs, last year’s Fallen Angelsand 2015’s Shadows in the Night, were both worldwide hits and garnered Grammy Award nominations in the category of Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. Fallen Angelsachieved Top Ten debuts in more than a dozen countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Italy, The Netherlands and Austria, while Shadows in the Night debuted in the Top 10 in seventeen countries, with #1 debuts in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden and Norway.

Both albums received worldwide critical acclaim, with Randy Lewis writing of Fallen Angels in The Los Angeles Times, “[Dylan] immediately liberates songs from the big band/big orchestra world from which they emerged, and in which they are most frequently revisited…. [He] reaches to the blues at the core of many of these songs. Thus, they elicit the ache of romantic yearning and loss that often gets subsumed by swelling orchestral forces, background choirs or by singers who are more focused on crafting elegant vocals than finding emotional resonance.”

The Telegraph’s Neil McCormick awarded Shadows in the Night five out of five stars and described the work as “spooky, bittersweet, mesmerizingly moving [with] the best singing from Dylan in 25 years.” Jon Pareles wrote of that album in the New York Times, “Mr. Dylan presents yet another changed voice…a subdued, sustained tone….Shadows in the Night maintains its singular mood: lovesick, haunted, suspended between an inconsolable present and all the regrets of the past.”

Bob Dylan’s seven previous studio albums have been universally hailed as among the best of his storied career, achieving new levels of commercial success and critical acclaim for the artist. The Platinum-selling Time Out Of Mind from 1997 earned multiple Grammy Awards, including Album Of The Year, while “Love and Theft”continued Dylan’s Platinum streak and earned several Grammy nominations and a statue for Best Contemporary Folk album.

Modern Times, released in 2006, became one of the artist’s most popular albums, selling more than 2.5 million copies worldwide and earning Dylan two more Grammys.Together Through Life became the artist’s first album to debut at #1 in both the U.S. and the UK, as well as in five other countries, on its way to surpassing sales of one million copies. Tempest received unanimous worldwide critical acclaim upon release and reached the Top 5 in 14 countries, while Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels were hailed by fans and lauded by critics for Dylan’s singular interpretive artistry.

These seven releases fell within a 19-year creative span that also included the recording of an Oscar- and Golden Globe-winning composition, “Things Have Changed,” from the film Wonder Boys, in 2001; a worldwide best-selling memoir, Chronicles Vol. 1, which spent 19 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller List, in 2004, and a Martin Scorsese-directed documentary, No Direction Home, in 2005. Bob Dylan also released his first collection of holiday standards, Christmas In The Heart, in 2009, with all of the artist’s royalties from that album being donated to hunger charities around the world.

In December 2016, Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature by the Swedish Academy “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.” He was a 2012 recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States’ highest civilian honor, and was awarded a special Pulitzer Prize in 2008 for “his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power.” He was also the recipient of the Officier de la Legion d’honneur in 2013, Sweden’s Polar Music Award in 2000, Doctorates from the University of St. Andrews and Princeton University, as well as numerous other honors.

Bob Dylan has sold more than 125 million records around the world

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Agree. Neil's new one is excellent; Bob's last two were one n done.

JoeRockhead, lucan_g and bliss44 like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Can t wait to hear Bob tackle Why was I born-tellingly the last song on the album

19. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I'd say since 2000 Neil's gone 2 for 13 (Silver and Gold, Psychedelic Pill) - the rest have been one and done for me.

It will be interesting to see if Bob ever comes out with any new material - maybe his voice simple can't handle anything but standards at this point.

20. htom

htom Senior Member

Amazingly, we're back to the griping about product from 70-something artists (I'm assuming nearly none of us here are their age), and to me it feels akin to badmouthing your retirement-age dad for doing what he wants to do.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Or Hewitt's Bach:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

supermd likes this.
  22. yeah, i'm just the opposite with Neil in terms of how i regard his new output, but this thread's probably not the place for it.

i think we'll get new Bob in the fall - those Lanois rumors are compelling. i'm not a fan of the standards, but I think his singing on them is as good as he gets, especially for late-period Dylan. You can, if nothing else, hear that he clearly cares deeply about the material.

23. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Conspicuous by absence..Masked and Anonymous

24. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

That is one impressive press release.

:tiphat:

Edit: preordered deluxe vinyl at Amazon uk, 44 pounds shipped to US.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    George P likes this.
  25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Oh, Yeah!! I'm all in for the 3-LP deluxe #'d box.
    He seems to be working at a non-stop pace lately... absolutely amazing.
    Can't wait... now this is the kind of news to wake up to.

Done... BullMoose $59.97 Deluxe 3-LP set w/ FREE shp.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Jack likes this.