"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. This! In TRIPLICATE!

adm62 and Spruce like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Looks like the show I saw in Boston, but there were always small variations in the set.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont even know, just picked one randomly from the list they had.

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Here's That Rainy Day by Sinatra off No One Cares is one of my favourite performances. Absolutely devastating. Regarding the whole Triplicate set it will take me a while to play through it. Not really a fan of this project.

Elliottmarx and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

As far as being surprised at this release, Im not. I fully expected it. They had these in the can and the other two were very popular releases. Why not? Its not like Bob is into sticking it to the man or his fan base with giant surprises any longer. Though the first in this series was a "gotcha fans" moment I suppose. Still, no surprise he decided to throw the rest out there.

7. The past two records were so great. So enjoyable. I say bring it on.

He is so prolific and of course will go back to writing his own songs, but Dylan is one who still keeps on giving. Between new releases and all the official boot series.

Can't wait for this. Preordered!!!

8. So you have what, 50 other original Dylan records to listen to?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You think? It has been 8 years since his last good self penned album, with just one release in-between. He will be 76 in May.

* In fact he has written 5 albums in the last 27 years.

10. The Typeface fits right along side the probably Religious Boot box also coming this year. No accident IMHO.

11. My guess is yes, But if it is no then I'm cool. He's already given us more than anyone else I can think of....

Kwai Chang and Regandron like this.
  12. I make that 11 years but I won't dispute the maths! ;)

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Fair enough

14. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I will hope and pray for the JWH material in one form or another, but we might get all you list AND a giant Live 1975 a la the Live 1966 box, one member has rumoured! That would make for quite a year, whatever anyone's thoughts on Triplicate are.

15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm really hoping for a Lynyrd Skynyrd covers album showcasing Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline voice!

16. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Bob is the great American songbook. If this is what he wants to do then good for him. I'll probably indulge him with a purchase, why not!

17. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Well, this was not what I was hoping for, although I enjoy the previous two standards sets for what they are. I will be getting it, but I am honestly not overenthusiastic. This probably means BS 13 will be a late Fall release, November-early December. Oh well....

Adam Bosman likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

What's worse: this or something (anything) produced by Lanois?

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There's no copyright-driven urgency to release a live 1975 box this year, so I would be surprised if that was added to all the other stuff I mentioned. But hey, bring it on -- none of us are getting any younger...

21. Blue Plate Special

Blue Plate Special Well-Known Member

I may be in a minority among Bob Dylan admirers, but I don't feel these types of songs are a good fit for his talents. Standards are very
    static pieces which require a certain finesse that Bob Dylan just doesn't have. Don't get me wrong, I have always counted him among the best
    singers ever, when the song is right. In his hands any song has a real intimate and immediate power that never feels contrived or rehearsed...he
    can absolutely convey emotion in a lyric as well as a melody quite unlike anyone else you'll find. It's very impressive. There are countless examples of this
    throughout his entire career, both in original compositions and covers.

But these types of songs are not easy to approach. It takes a different kind of touch. I don't think Bob Dylan can bring any more out of these songs than Frank Sinatra could've brought out of, say, "Tangled Up In Blue." Great talents both, but they are not interchangeable.

Can't wait, however to hear how he tackles "Flaw in My Flue!"

22. I LOVE Lanois's production. Think his produced Le Noise was the last great Neil Young album

23. Again: The Typeface is very religious, which I think is no coincidence as they release the Jesus Box Set this year too.

24. IMHO Lanois has been chiefly responsible for resurrecting Dylan's career at times when he was almost at the bottom of the pile. To date both Lanois produced albums have been a great success and contain many of Bob's best songs from the respective eras. I guess you can sense where I'm going with this in answer to your question. There's certainly no disdain for Lanois work as far as I'm concerned.

25. ^^^ This!