"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Despite Tom's ultra-gravelly, though beautiful, voice, you rarely, if ever, see people stating that Tom Waits cannot sing. Bob is always treated differently

Thelonious_Cube and mark ab like this.
  2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think this one is a standout toi. was playing it this morning.

3. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

This is the song from Triplicate that I chose to add to my monthly mix playlist after just one listen to the album. I think it's the mood and tempo that grabbed me right away.

4. rogerm

rogerm Member

Just joined this thread. It is very long so please direct me to post if this subject has been covered. There seems to be
    a coding error with regard to video display of information on Disc 1 and Disc 3. On Disc 1, the cover and album info that shows
    is for a Marie Osmond album with titles to that albums tracks displayed as the CD plays. Disc 2 properly shows info for the Dylan
    album. Disc 3 shows no album cover art or track names.

5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Has anyone - true obsessive - compared the U.S. and the European pressings?

6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Tom Waits has a different voice than Dylan. Tom Waits never stepped out on the stage and sang as if he had just inhaled helium like Dylan did at the Supper Club, and elsewhere. Excerpts from the Supper Club might be on youtube, go check it out. I don't like to say this, but facts are facts. I think Dylan earned some of that criticism. There have been times when Dylan should have waited until his voice -- and his perspective -- recovered before performing publicly. Sometimes he's been too drunk or too stoned to perform, yet he goes on with the show anyhow. I followed tours when he was in excellent voice, and at other times I've paid hundred of dollars to listen to him screech and forget words. He's in fine voice on Triplicate.

More than once in his career, Frank Sinatra withdrew from performing and recording for years until his voice recovered. He was always self-aware, never oblivious to his own failings.

streetlegal likes this.
  7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

A few years ago my son, aged about 10 at the time, came home from school as I was listening to a Tom Waits album. He as absolutely incredulous that I was listening to someone with such a voice. He cried "Dad! Who is this? It's terrible, he can't sing at all". I replied "It's Tom Waits son." He still couldn't quite believe what he was hearing and said "Well, he sounds like a choking rat". He quite likes Tom now but we still call him The Chooking Rat sometimes.

Many people think Tom can't sing though. They're wrong though.

8. Richard--W

Tom Waits is a magnificent vocalist. His voice is powerful and magnificent.

Carserguev likes this.
  9. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Just back from the Palladium!! I think he sounded the best I've heard him - and he was swinging the microphone and crooning away!!
    Militant camera ban throughout - fired off a few at the end

[​IMG]

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Superb shot! You should have yelled out, "Hey Bob, take off your hat! There are ladies present!" and then shot a few more pictures

mark ab and raphph like this.
  11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Any chance of a mini review for the thread here? Bob Dylan - European Tour 2017

12. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

The 3LP deluxe in beautiful. Recordings are rich. It is simply a must. Superb!

SteveFff and Mazzy like this.
  13. Tor33rpm

No joke. Amazing.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I have not yet read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned that there are no songwriting credits
    to be found in the standard 3CD version of Triplicate? I know the songs are standards, and possibly out of
    copyright, but surely it would be courteous to credit the songwriters/composers?

15. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I got mine from Wow HD website with free shipping for around A$28-. It took about 2 weeks to show up, but sure beat paying JB $55-.

SlimLee likes this.
  16. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Sadly...

17. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Agreed, Mine arrived today. I just need something to play it on now.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  18. cpatton

cpatton Forum Resident

Well you go back to the early 90´s here 25 years +. Remember from a few concerts i Stockholm (91) when you can say he was down on his knees. In the acoustic set I witnessed a small miracle, seems like Barbara Allan opened up something deep inside of him - from that moment on he walked on water. A road warrior - give him at least credit for that.

Richard--W and Jack like this.
  19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Is a book or booklet included in the deluxe edition? Pictures? Text?

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Rigth-I attended the tour start in Stockholm that I believe is one of the best Dylan concerts I've attended. At least when it comes to Dylan's vocals that was wondrous. Just amazing

Carserguev, Richard--W and mark ab like this.
  21. Tor33rpm

The one I have reminds me of the old 78 photo albums. Hard thick cover. 3 LP's inside in classic sleeves. No text, but one photo of Bob on the inside cover.

22. Richard--W

I give him all the credit there is to give and then some.

Is Stockholm '91 out and about?

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I love this album so much I really think I'm gonna have to splurge on the deluxe vinyl. An event album like this that hits every target it was aiming for deserves an event-style package, not to mention the sound is apparently superior. (I have that latter point right, right?)

SteveFff likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think they sound the same. But I wanted the vinyl as a souvenir anyway