"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

The second disc really pops out for me. I saw the Bobster last year and this is the sound of that band.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I feel the same way. I really like these, but I kind of wish they'd been split up between a project of new Dylan originals. I wonder if he's just stopped writing for awhile.

rstamberg likes this.
  3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Have you ever thought he might be done for good? He's 76 in a couple of days.

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't believe Dylan will ever record a new album of original songs again.
    Of course, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does.

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

It’s like wrapping yourself in your favorite blanket, triple folded.

A beautiful album of such warmth.

mark ab and dylankicks like this.
  6. MicJames

MicJames Forum Resident

Saw a used Japanese CD set of Triplicate in the bins for about the price of a new US.

Anyone know if there is a quality difference in the Japanese CD's, or just a novelty for the packaging and additional lyrics in Japanese, etc.?

Don't yet have a copy of Triplicate, so I'll can it up tomorrow if it's warranted (if it's still there).

7. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Got the deluxe vinyl at the low price. Amazon UK delivered to the States in perfect condition.

The Killer likes this.
  8. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

A dry microfiber cloth will fix it right up.

9. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

All three of mine are flat, centered and quiet. But the markings are different in the runout area of record one.

Triplicate
    Record one, side one and two. U inside of circle and WG/N2P
    Records two and three are different. RJ (stamped) and STERLING (etched) on all four sides.

Is your first record the same as mine?

10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I can't be ars#d with all that looking in the inner groove. It's slide the LP out, place on platter, drop the needle and Bob's yer aunty!

11. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Word is he was recording in Dublin post the end of the European leg of the tour but what it was remains a mystery.

George C. likes this.
  12. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Agree, my pressings are great but I do hear slight sibilence on a few numbers. Not bothersome though.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Tonight, Bob's in Ontario for 3 shows. Oshawa tonight. Toronto tomorrow (I'll be there) and London on Thursday.

Any members going?

I hope he pulls in a nice crowd tomorrow at the Air Canada Centre as it's a bigger venue than he usually plays nowadays and there are at least 2 other concerts in town that night (Buckingham/McVie and King Crimson)

I hope all the Toronto fans come out and support the show as I hear on this tour he's really singing wonderfully.

I may give a review of the show I see, although it's now July and time for my 'summer sabbatical' from here...; we'll see.

Come on out tomorrow night Toronto members and fans and support ol' Bob. At this point, you don't know when (or if) you'll get the chance again.

(Hope he does a few tunes from the last 3 "Sinatra covers" albums as they were not released the last time he played here)

:tiphat:

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got Triplicate about a month ago. Still absorbing it all. Enjoying each listen as it grows on me. Please give a review of the show. Curious to hear ones concert experience of the Bobster.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. Really looking forward to this!
    From all accounts this mini-Ontario tour has been terrific so far.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Last night, as I planned, I went down and caught Bob Dylan & His Band at the "ACC".
    I got a cheap ticket outside the front doors 10 minutes before showtime and sat in the best section of the house (119 - 6th Row)
    What a great spot! (My friend sat in a $400. ticket 11 rows from the stage; she loved it!)

What a great evening! I have to say I was shocked that there weren't more people there, but he is doing 4 Ontario dates in a short span and there's a lot going on in Toronto during this time of year. However, all the faithful came out (I'd estimate about 6000) and we were all treated to an excellent show.

Bob and his band were terrific. The sound was very good; Bob's vocals were loud and clear and he got better as the show went on; he was really into it! Dylan's band is really something to behold; these guys just play so beautifully together (they're all just so cool up there together; true musicians)

Terrific set list too! I was "blind" going in as to what he'd do as I wanted to be surprised (and I was) However, looking at some set lists today, it seems he's doing the same setlist every night (or at least for the last 10 or so that I looked up)

We got 6 "Sinatra covers" which were magical! ("Once Upon A Time" brought a tear to my eye) The gals in the audience loved these tunes as Dylan sang them so sweetly!

We got some great "newer" tunes (5 from "Tempest" which is an album I love!); (1 from "Time Out Of Mind" that was a surprise to me and again the girls there loved it!); (1 from "Love & Theft" that just swung!)...and a nice selection of classics (some rearranged to keep them interesting)

Highlights:

Highway 61 Revisited
    Summer Days
    Pay In Blood
    Desolation Row
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    ...and the 6 "Sinatra" covers.

(It's really saying something when you consider that 13 tunes performed last night were from Bob's work post 2000; he's not resting on past glories...)

The whole show was wonderful start to finish; nicely paced. The crowd was very responsive and after the show everyone agreed that it was a great show! Every person I spoke to really liked it! It was so cool to see people on the streets afterwards in Dylan T shirts. We had to stop and speak to everyone we saw wearing one after the show. It's what you have to do...; you're in the club!

20 songs in 1 hour and 40 minutes (8:10 pm to 9:50 pm)

I got Bob in my head all day today and I'm in a great mood!

Thanks Bob, I had a terrific time last night!
    We all did!

****/5

Summer days are here and it's 'sabbatical time'. All the best, have a great summer, go see Bob and we'll see ya'll further on up the road!

:tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  17. boe

boe Forum Resident

I saw him in Syracuse last week - my 25th time or so dating back to 1974 - and had the same reaction. Great performance and the crowd was with him the entire show, standards included. No walk-outs or loud grumblings about the setlist in between endless beer runs. I think that Bob's live audience has pretty much shrunk down to people who know what to expect and are happy to spend some time with one of the true geniuses of our time. I'm grateful that at his age he's still out there playing. There was a time in my life where I never expected to see him perform and the fact that over the past years I've been able to see him virtually every year has been real gift.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  18. Had a great time at the Toronto show. Loved it.

A pal saw him tonight in London and has been texting me with post-show raves about the gig.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Enjoyed Triplicate early this evening. Can't wait for new Dylan material but Triplicate is actually growing on me after a few listens.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  20. It is absolutely a wonderful set and the very best of the three separate covers albums

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had totally ignored Dylan's last effort at the "American Songbook". I never so much as heard a single song. The idea simply did not appeal to me. I'm not sure why I gave Triplicate a go on Tidal but I did. Maybe just curious. I was quite surprised by how much I liked Dylan's voice in this context. This will never be a Dylan album in my collection but as I said it was surprising to me.

24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I would love to see an entire concert performance of the Sinatra songs. Yes, I would.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In a small jazz club