"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

His first Desert Trip show had not one crooner toon, while the second (as well as the Las Vegas show the night before) had exactly one, and exactly the perfect one: "Why Try to Change Me Now". :laugh:

After that though, his shows were back up to 7 crooner toons: Full Moon and Empty Arms, Melancholy Mood, Why Try to Change Me Now, I Could Have Told You, All or Nothing at All, Autumn Leaves, and Stay With Me.

Looking at these just now, I'm especially struck by his November setlists being the longest he's played in years: all of them 20 to 21 songs, after a long haul of 17 and 18 song shows. Some of the longer setlists could have meant shorter shows of course, but still, I like that his voice is improving and that some combination of his stamina and his attention span is building up.

Why the hell not? :laugh: Bob has never seemed like an "either/or" kinda guy, so sure, let's have it all, man!

Six of the 10 Bootleg Series have been released in October and November, call it 8 of 12 if we count the '66 box and Real Royal Albert (the latter of which was actually released in December now that I think about it), so yeah, 'twas (mostly) ever thus.

Just for grins, going back to 1971, let's add Greatest Hits Vol 2, Biograph, Greatest Hits Vol 3, Essential Bob Dylan, The Original Mono Recordings, Pure Dylan, Beyond Here Lies Nothin' - The Collection, Live at Carnegie Hall, The Complete Album Collection, and The 50th Anniversary Collection 1963 -- ALL of these were in October or November, mostly November, with the 1964 edition of the 50th Anniversary Collection joining Real Royal Albert in December. Columbia LOVES Q4 Bob boxes.

To underscore Sean's point, I think that Triplicate so early in the year bodes well for almost anything and everything being possible for the rest of the year. THAT's exciting to me.

Zeki, Kwai Chang and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I don't think Bob's career needs resurrecting. I don't like Lanois' style, but I guess it may make a difference if the new album's going to be another Love and Theft lite.

3. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'm a defender of artists doing what they think is interesting, following their muse(s), etc., and I've defended just about everything Dylan's ever done (to a point, because the 80s), but... Yeesh. Not really on board here. Didn't buy Fallen Angels, probably won't buy this, either.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind are both in my top 10 favorite Bob Dylan albums.

SteveM, IronWaffle, TS582 and 3 others like this.
  5. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I'm hoping that Bob is now offloading the songbooks, and that he'll concentrate on a new album of his own material. It's been nigh on 5 years since Tempest !

FangfossFlyer and Spadeygrove like this.
  6. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Agree with you 100% there, Mazzy!

Tribute likes this.
  7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Based on the length of the last two "Songbook" albums, this is going to be a triple CD lasting under two hours.

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Hopefully quality over quantity. Besides each album has a theme.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

10. Cooly McDuck

Cooly McDuck Forum Resident

Nothing grinds my gears like a forum post with a bunch of consumers telling artists what they should or need to sing or write.

That's musical facism, fam. It's a recipe for nothing but soulless noise.

11. :biglaugh:

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Do we know that there really is another album planned, and that Lanois didn't actually work in some capacity on Triplicate?

13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Bob is being contrary.

"I won a Nobel Prize for songwriting? Hell, I'll release a torrent of other people's songs instead.'

It's Bob's world now . . .

SteveM, Kwai Chang and Beaneydave like this.
  14. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Couldn't we just as easily say telling a bunch of consumers what they should like is musical fascism?

Dylan has every right to record and release what he wants.

We also have every right to purchase or not purchase it.

I was very much hoping he had gotten this out of his system. Appears he has not. That makes me fascist? Methinks not.

SteveM and Sean Murdock like this.
  15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

The way I see it...Bob is still at the drawing board regarding his next phase. I say, let him go through this "crooner-covers" phase because on the other end of it we'll finally receive some pretty interesting original music from him. I think it'll be some great stuff....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  16. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Indeed. I think he uses this stuff to refuel and recentre himself. He did it to great effect with the two covers albums that came before Time out of Mind...

Sean Murdock and MRamble like this.
  17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I've had to censor what Ella's saying here.

18. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I don't read it that way--what I see are a bunch of consumers saying this is something they're really not interested in, particularly when it's coming from one of the greatest songwriters in the history of human civilization. As I posted above, Bob has every right to record and release what he wants, and no matter what, Columbia is going to get it out there. But that doesn't mean we have to buy it.

I just think a third album of this stuff, and a triple album at that... Come on already, Bob.

SteveM, TS582, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It's like Vincent Van Gogh painting a paint-by-numbers painting of Claude Monet.

quicksrt, Cracklebarrel and SteveM like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not really. Im not telling him anything. As a fan Im stating what I prefer. Id prefer him to do what he is known for and loved for. Writing great songs and creating music that the overwhelming majority of his fans would want. Do I demand it? No. And even if I did, he wouldnt see what I think nor probably care.

But just like Bob has every right to do what he wants musically, I have a right to state what Id like to see creatively happen in general.

Lanios basically pushed him to put a more concerted effort into the time in the studio. He held Bob accountable. Would you call what that producer did "fascism"? Or "Oh Mercy" a soulless bunch of noise?

Sometimes artists need to be told.."Hey, enough of this dicking around. Get busy writing. There is still a lot to say." Then again, maybe Bob has no more to say. I doubt that though. His whole life has been about presenting lifes experiences through pen. Until he is dead, I think he will always have something to say.

My hope is he will have something to say soon. And, that it rocks. Now, if thats being a fascist..perhaps the word needs to be redefined.

PhilBorder likes this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK. Not much going on...yawn... kind boring. everyone seems to agree on everything. Maybe we can stir up some protests about there not being enough protesting...

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Any artist who's every worked with a producer knows that a reliable second opinion or catalyst is valuable. What you characterize as 'should' might be 'could' e.,g. could you do better? Presumably Bob recognized he doesn't need a yes man hanging around.

Any artist who has cultivated an audience as long as Bob can either ignore his audience, which he often does, or maybe even listen to them. I'm comfortable saying that, for all his accomplishments, Mr. Dylan has made some incredibly boneheaded errors. In that last 30 years has made albums that could and should have been much better. This isn't theoretical - the songs were released on the Bootleg series. And while I'm grateful to hear songs like 'Girl from the Red River Shore' at all, I'd rather it had displaced the weaker material on Time Out Of Mind. Dylan really does seem to either have a blind spot, or is willfully and perversely undermining his own efforts.

23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I've been pretty good natured about Bob's last two Sinatra excursions. When I first heard him sing Full Moon, I was blown away. It was beautiful.

But give me some variation. I don't need to hear that same arrangement of Tin Pan Alley pap 30 more times...

SteveM likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Some of what you say is true, but I must disagree: This is ABSOLUTELY a tribute to Sinatra! Yes, many of these songs were standards sung by many artists, but most were popularized by and/or are associated with Frank. Some of the more obscure titles were unique to Sinatra, and I can't think of any other singer before Dylan who recorded all 29 of these 30 songs. See below...
    Correct title of the first track is "I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan" (singular).

These are the recording years (and record labels), with YouTube links, for all of the tracks recorded originally by Frank Sinatra:
    1. 1956 (Capitol) I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plan (1998 Digital Remaster) »
    2. 1965 (Reprise) The September Of My Years »
    3. 1953 (Capitol) I Could Have Told You »
    4. 1965 (Reprise) Once Upon A Time »
    5. 1944 (Columbia) Stormy Weather »
      1947 (V-Disc) Stormy Weather »
      1959 (Capitol) Stormy Weather (1999 Digital Remaster) »
      1984 (Reprise) Stormy Weather »
    6. 1963 (Reprise) This Nearly Was Mine »
    7. 1947 (Columbia) That Old Feeling »
      1960 (Capitol) That Old Feeling (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    8. 1965 (Reprise) It Gets Lonely Early »
    9. 1953 (Capitol) My One And Only Love »
    10. 1940 (Victor) Trade Winds (1994 Remastered) »

11. [ "Braggin'" not recorded by Frank Sinatra ]
    12. 1961 (Capitol) As Time Goes By (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    13. 1940 (Victor) Imagination (1994 Remastered) »
      1961 (Reprise) Imagination »
    14. 1946 (Columbia) How Deep Is The Ocean (How Blue Is The Sky) »
      1960 (Capitol) How Deep Is The Ocean? (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    15. 1956 (Capitol) P.S. I Love You (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    16. 1964 (Reprise) The Best Is Yet To Come »
    17. 1947 (Columbia) But Beautiful (78 rpm Version) »
    18. 1959 (Capitol) Here's That Rainy Day (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    19. 1947 (Columbia) Where Is The One? »
      1957 (Capitol) Where Is The One? (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    20. 1956 (Capitol) There's A Flaw In My Flue (1999 Digital Remaster) »

21. 1953 (Capitol) Day In - Day Out (1999 Digital Remaster) »
      1954 (Capitol) Day In - Day Out (Alternate Version) (1999 Digital Remaster) »
      1958 (Capitol) Day In - Day Out (1998 Digital Remaster) »
    22. 1943 (Columbia) I Couldn't Sleep A Wink Last Night »
      1956 (Capitol) I Couldn't Sleep A Wink Last Night »
    23. 1961 (Capitol) Sentimental Journey (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    24. 1961 (Capitol) Somewhere Along The Way (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    25. 1961 (Capitol) When The World Was Young (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    26. 1945 (Columbia) These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You) »
      1961 (Capitol) These Foolish Things Remind Me Of You (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    27. 1945 (Columbia) You Go to My Head »
      1960 (Capitol) You Go To My Head (1999 Digital Remaster) »
    28. 1940 (Victor) Stardust (1994 Remastered) »
      1961 (Reprise) Stardust »
    29. 1939 (Columbia) It's Funny To Everyone But Me »
    30. 1947 (Columbia) Why Was I Born? »

EDIT: Sorry for the "unavailable" videos in the above playlists. The record labels have very recently withdrawn or moved some of their longstanding official content, especially some of the Capitol tracks. Hopefully, the dates shown will help guide to sources for those videos missing above.

25. Funny to read some of the negative comments. Of course everyone should chime in with their opinion. But the same thing I recall hearing during his Jesus period of records-folks hated most of those at the time. . Now many here are excited that the Christian music box set that will mostly likely be released this year. And so many hated Self Portrait and now love it. :tiphat:

supermd, JoeRockhead, davenav and 6 others like this.