"Triplicate" - Bob Dylan album March 31, 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Jan 31, 2017.

1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Bob should just re-title an existing autobiography by some civil war veteran.

majorlance and Champagne Boot like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Drafts have been completed for at least some, if not all, of the new volume. Whether it is published, that is the main question. But some portions are likely in the Tulsa archive now. Get your PhD and you might be able to read that.

From the web:

"In September 2012, Dylan told Rolling Stone that he is working on Volume 2. Dylan was quoted as saying that he had already completed chapters concerning The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Another Side of Bob Dylan, and that the book may focus primarily on the early years of his recording career. During the interview, he claimed that the biggest holdup in the process was not the writing itself, but rather the editing: "I don't mind writing it, but it's the rereading it and the time it takes to reread it – that for me is difficult."

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I mean, that's the logical step, isn't it?

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Since the beginning of human "culture", artists have utilized the works of others to create. There really is no such thing as a true original, one who is the origin.

Picasso and Braque are just two of countless examples all through history:

"Beginning in 1909, Braque began to work closely with Pablo Picasso who had been developing a similar proto-Cubist style of painting. At the time, Pablo Picasso was influenced by Gauguin, Cézanne, African masks and Iberian sculpture while Braque was interested mainly in developing Cézanne's ideas of multiple perspectives. “A comparison of the works of Picasso and Braque during 1908 reveals that the effect of his encounter with Picasso was more to accelerate and intensify Braque’s exploration of Cézanne’s ideas, rather than to divert his thinking in any essential way.”

dee, highway and Blue Note like this.
  5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I guess Dylan's version of "He's Funny That Way" belongs in this thread since it was seemingly recorded at the Triplicate sessions.

Another lovely performance.

6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Just bought it 24-44 from 7digital but haven't downloaded yet. Wanted to jump on it before they make it album only.

Any confirmation of its recording? Not doubting the triplicate sessions but just wanted to see if it could be confirmed. There were some rumors of session work recently...

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You can find other on-line sources when above link is gone

8. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Do they plan to release a CD version of the EP or is it just download?

9. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

From my understanding, only digital.

streetlegal likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A rare entry in the Dylan catalog. I hope digital download only does not become a trend for Dylan (the 1965 series was bad enough). It certainly encourages bootlegs.

highway likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

12. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Now I am psyched for a Dylan album of wedding songs. I need to hear him doing "Always"

CBackley likes this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

terrible digital album cover

But on listen 2 - (listen 1 was week of release) - I am thoroughly enjoying this. A great Saturday morning record.

15. dee

dee Senior Member

Took the plunge into the three disc set I checked out from the school library and now thinking of getting the vinyl version. In the meantime the discs have made for some thoroughly pleasing listens, especially during early mornings. At the time of its release, I wasn't ready for 3 more cd's of this stuff, but now that I am, it's bliss!

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Vinyl sounds really awesome!

MAYBEIMAMAZED, CBackley and dee like this.
  17. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I recently acquired the deluxe vinyl for this. It's a beautiful package befitting the music and how I feel about it and I just had to have it. It got down to $39 from reputable Marketplace sellers so I bought one and it arrived looking perfect.

Speaking of which, here's a link to the marketplace listing on Amazon if you're interested.

DmitriKaramazov, chacha and Headfone like this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Try and get the European pressing, though.

dee likes this.
  19. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Triplicate is awesome on vinyl. My first disc is very noisy, however, and I wasn’t able to get a replacement. Oh well. My copies of Shadows in the Night and Fallen Angels are both off-center on one side, so a little surface noise isn’t the worst thing ever.

20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great price!

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious why

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The US pressing, which I have, is pretty noisy, which has already been noted above and elsewhere. There are too many ticks throughout it. In fact, I complained about it after purchase and Amazon gave me 33% of a refund, as I recall.

The European pressing is totally quiet and a joy to play and to listen to. After Christmas, it was offered for 12GBP on Amazon UK, so I didn’t even blink. All that I’d been told about it was true and it’s a shame that all the deluxe editions were pressed in the US, who basically botched it.

chacha likes this.
  23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

My first copy was crazy noisy with non fill issues. Returned it, and the 2nd was almost as bad. Unfortunately, if I want to play the album, my preferred format is the high resolution digital. Shame, especially considering the content and packaging.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Is the high res the same mastering as the CD?

25. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I don’t know. If anybody else here does know, I am also interested.