Trouble finding non-remastered CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by enfield, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Have you tried using a software solution such as cddeemph or WaveEmph? The following link provides info on both of these plus other possible options.

Good luck...

Pre-emphasis - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase »

Robert C likes this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

iTunes also de-emphasizes pre-emphasis discs when ripping and is the most common way of doing so.

Tommy SB likes this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've read that a few of the early Tull cd pressings were from the MFSL crew. Not sure how correct that is.....

4. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

The silent remasters that come to mind for me are the Metallica 1996 CD remasters on the Elektra, E/M Ventures label, done by George Marino, and Jackson Browne's CD catalog. Though I don't know when exactly his were re-done, but it wasn't talked about beforehand.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I'm not sure how many, if any, show up on your side of the Atlantic, but some of the early U.S. record club pressings are the same as the original pressings done by the licensing label. If you don't mind the BMG or CRC "mark of the beast". Since some despise then, they might be easier to pick up.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  6. Dynamic Ranger

Oddly enough, every old CD I own that's on the MCA label sounds perfect! I'm talking about: Elton John, The Who, Night Ranger, Steely Dan, Golden Earring, and more. They all seem mastered top notch, and professionally, at least to my ears. I'll even go as far as saying they are of audiophile quality!

7. Dynamic Ranger

Agreed! That's one of my favorites!

8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has there been a re-master of this album? 2005 seems to be the release date.
    Has anyone got the catalogue number for the original release.?
    Has the 2005 got a different cover picture?

9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I don't listen to very much rock or pop, so I can't really weigh in on the examples you posted. I can say though that many film score albums that came out originally on MCA LPs sounded bad in their original CD incarnations.

10. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Echobunny2000 is really great! I've picked up some nice CDs at reasonable prices from him.

Tomsk and c-eling like this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He said that, really? Two of the best albums ever put out.

Bernard hansen and BradOlson like this.
  12. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Apart from the same barcode as the remaster and the 12th digit missing in the barcode (that can be computed, as it's a parity digit), I also encountered indexing issues which made impossible to get the original CD. If I recall correctly, I could not get the original AC/DC's Back In Black.

13. Dynamic Ranger

Hmm, I wish I knew the answer. I bought mine in the late 90's, it's on the RCA label. Whenever I see a new sealed copy in stores, the front cover and back insert all still look the same to me. But I don't know if the same could be said for the mastering. So this could be yet ANOTHER secret remaster!

enfield likes this.
  14. BradOlson

The remaster is part of the RCA Albums Collection box.

John Denver - Farewell Andromeda - Amazon.com Music » is the original

enfield likes this.
  15. Dynamic Ranger

16. BradOlson

Yep

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Many of the original Japanese masterings are available as domestic issues, especially here in Europe. I own the original Japan for Europe Sketches of Spain CD with the 35DP-63 matrix, for example. Some of the original Japanese CDs can be had cheap if you are lucky. I have two Miles Davis 35DP discs. Didn't pay more than £5 for either of them. One was described as played twice, which may have been an overstatement as it didn't look played at all.

Robert C likes this.
  18. BradOlson

The plain RCA copies of Poems, Prayers and Promises and Rocky Mountain High still being sold are the old original mastering as well. Remastered on the RCA Albums Collection box

19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I get what you are saying. I was talking about what would have been readily available to a more casual music consumer who would have browsed the racks of a US record store in the 1980s. Many of them would not have known how or where to look for foreign CD releases; and because CDs were being marketed as such a vast improvement over LPs - and we know how that argument turned out - many may not have even thought that a foreign release would have sounded any different from its US counterpart.

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Echo's grabbed plenty of my cash over the years also. Provides descent pictures. Good Seller, Fair prices without excessive collector gouging :)

M321115 likes this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes - agreed.

22. BradOlson

The purple border Monk's Blues by Monk is excellent and mastered by the current Legacy mastering engineers.

23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I found an Atco Japan for US pressing of Wind And Wuthering by Genesis (a forum favorite) in the wild last week. I snagged it for less than $4, and the case, booklet, and disc are extremely clean. It sounds tremendous. I love the hunt.

Wally Swift and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Two more could be categorized as such, both Howard Jones titles
    Early US for Dream Into Action all share the worldwide mastering. Was later done in the US for SRC pressings (Thinking this is the Diament)
    Early US for Human's Lib all share worldwide Pre-Emphasis mastering, Later under the RE-01 revision the proper EQ was added

25. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I too found one not too long ago for $5.

Dr. Funk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.